Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

SkylineR33 or Supra twin turbo

Options
  • 04-12-2006 2:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12

if u where going to import one off these cars which one would u and why. They would be between the years 1994 and 2000.I have heard that u would have to remap a gtr what is this and how much would it cost.Me im edging to the gtr. lol

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Tanabe

Wow dude,

You don't half like your big engines do ya?:D

Although the Supra's are still relatively few & far between on Irish roads I don't think my pocket would take too kindly to paying tax, insurance & fuel costs on a 3 litre twin turbo engine:eek: but that's your own personal choice at the end of the day!

Both cars would be extremely reliable (given any sort of tlc) but I'd personally go for the gtr Skyline unless you're a millionaire;) (the tax & insurance on this would be enough in it's own right).

Mapping refers to getting the car to run properly on our 95 octane fuel (as opposed to the higher 99 octane available in Japan). If this was required it would cost you about €250. There's plenty of places in Dublin that do it, just google.ie it & away you go. Here's one I found in Wicklow:

http://www.turbotech.ie/cars-hp.htm

And Galway:

http://www.tightrope.ie/services/octane.html

How much €€€€€€€€€€€'s you thinking about spending on the car anyway? Sounds to me like you got deeeeeeep pockets! Lol:D :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Cerberus

Have you a budget in mind for buying the car? It's just that the range of years you mention could mean a price of anywhere between 13000 and 30000 euros. Both cars are gonna be very expensive to run. You won't see 20mpg no matter how you drive. Service every 6000 miles or so will be 400 euros before allowing for anything out of the ordinary going wrong. Tyres will need changing at this stage as well. You're talking 800 euro for them. Tax will be 900 plus.
    So not a lot to seperate them in these areas. The 4wd of the GTR is gonig to be a lot easier to handle than the rwd of the supra on irish roads and irish weather. But rwd is fun as well though. Supra is a better looking car in my opinion and I'm a skyline nut.

With regards the remapping for Irish petrol: the GTR standard ecu can retard timing a bit by itself to allow for lower octane levels but you would definitely need to get it remapped or else have the possibility of looking at an engine rebuild later on. Detonation will kill the engine. It's possible to retard the timing a small bit on the standard ecu but to do it properly and not lose power I think you will need to get an aftermarket ecu. These will range from 700 upwards. Throw in time on a rolling road to set it up and you'll have little change from 1000 euro all in. Possibly more but you'll have piece of mind. I'm not sure about the supra but I'd imagine it's a similar story but you'd want to check with someone like trackday performance or that to confirm this.

If you have any questions about the GTR then www.gtr.co.uk is the place to find the answers. I found it very helpful when I had the R34.

Advertisement