Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can we have the old search back?

Options
  • 04-12-2006 2:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭

It was much better then the new one, which has made looking for anything a pain. I know it was removed to try to prevent the slow down. But with this "admin+beaker@boards.ie Page generated in 21.95150 seconds with 14 queries" still very common at peak times, it would seem to not have been the problem.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

Boards got a massive speed increase from disabling search, so it would appear that it was indeed a problem.

Hey, I liked the old search a hell of a lot better too (and you should have seen the handy tools in the search results if you were an s-mod - deleting multiple posts from a Spammer straight off the results page was pretty sweet), but it definitely did have a negative effect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

admin+beaker@boards.ie Page generated in 16.41176 seconds with 11 queries
    to load this page, i don't see the speed increase

Thats a long time for a page to load, i don't remember it being any slower then that with the old search in place. Maybe i'm mistaken how slow was it with the search 20+ on average?

You're not doing a reasonable comparison.

When we were operating search at weekends only the site was slower at weekends. This gave us a direct comparison between speeds in different situation.

Saying the site is slow now (months later) doesn't affect this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

No, you've been bold.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Talliesin wrote:
    Boards got a massive speed increase from disabling search, so it would appear that it was indeed a problem.
    IMHO disabling it without first finding the root problem was a bit like cutting an arm off to 'cure' a broken finger.

Without wanting to resurrect the old 'descending index' arguement, I'm sure there are bigger vbulletin users globally who've encountered and solved the speed problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

Yeah. They solved the speed problem by adding more hardware and resources.

Take it this way. The page at times takes 20+ seconds to load. Fair enough. But if the search was on, you could be looking at 30-40+ seconds page loads.

The admins have done the best they can to give people an alternative search.
    I find google pretty good tbh.

I have only seen boards getting slow today. Maybe something has gone wrong on another function.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

IMHO disabling it without first finding the root problem was a bit like cutting an arm off to 'cure' a broken finger.

Without wanting to resurrect the old 'descending index' arguement, I'm sure there are bigger vbulletin users globally who've encountered and solved the speed problem.
    Rewrite vbb. g'wan, i dares yeh :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

tuxy wrote:
    It was much better then the new one, which has made looking for anything a pain. I know it was removed to try to prevent the slow down. But with this "admin+beaker@boards.ie Page gene

AAAAAARRRGGGGG SHUT THE **** UP! SHUT THE **** UP! ****ING SHUT THE ****ING SHUT UP! WA WA SAME ****ING **** OVER AND OVER AND OVER AND OVER AND SHUT THE **** UP STFU

STFU!!!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Careful amp.
    The vein on your forehead is throbbing.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Use google it works better than the old search did....

• Advertisement

Without wanting to resurrect the old 'descending index' arguement

Oh dear god no.

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

There aren't.

Most very large bulletin boards use custom written software because vB is such a pile of ass with large systems.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

Without wanting to resurrect the old 'descending index' arguement
    My e-penis is bigger than yours, non-descending man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

thanks for the bump amp ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

amp wrote:
    AAAAAARRRGGGGG SHUT THE **** UP! SHUT THE **** UP! ****ING SHUT THE ****ING SHUT UP! WA WA SAME ****ING **** OVER AND OVER AND OVER AND OVER AND SHUT THE **** UP STFU

STFU!!!

Amp, i'm really concerned that you are concealing your real feelings on the subject.

We are all friends here, please tell us how you really feel about this :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

I'm beginning to feel uncomfortable with the repressed rage that Amp is displaying. Mabye we could all join together and find a way to let him release(before you even start thinking about what I know your thinking about stop thinking it or you might start me thinking it) these hidden emotions he is hiding behind his simple misunderstood words.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

/hugs amp

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

I dare someone to report Amp for trolling and personal abuse. Go on. I dare ya.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

I dare someone to report Amp for trolling and personal abuse. Go on. I dare ya.
    Done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭scojones

amp just said what most of us were thinking.

• Advertisement
  • Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

I feel another T-shirt coming on... :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

sjones wrote:
    amp just said what most of us were thinking.

hardly, i was thinkin of lesbain donley racing

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

amp wrote:

STFU!!!

why?

its a common request. get over it.

Hey, quarryman, there's amp's point over there.

No, back a bit. Back a bit. Bit more. Oh, never mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

The new search is pointless/useless to be honest. If you're not bringing back the old one then you'd be better off just telling people to use Google.

I've gotten used to the 'new' search, and it seems to work just fine for whatever I search for. Plus the relevant thread bit at the bottom is handy.

Speaking of, bring back Pacman!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

Can't say i'm a fan of the new search at all.

The only thing i could suggest doing is moving the search over to a different server with a snapshot of the database taken daily, and then it wouldn't really be able to mess up the main one.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

quarryman wrote:
    why?

its a common request. get over it.

Don't you think if the admins could implement the old search they would? Do you think that constantly asking the same question is going to change that?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

Advertisement