Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Immersion problem - urgent advice required

Options
  • 04-12-2006 3:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭

I had the immersion turned on the other day and it was not heating very well so I decided to lift the cap and increase the temperature. I noticed that it was a bit wet under the cap where all the wiring is.

I killed power and dried everywhere. Turned up temperature to about 55 degrees. Everything worked fine - water heated. I checked again 2 hrs later when I was turning it off and the roof of the immersion cap was a little wet on the inside. It was similar to condenstation.

Has anyonw any advice where this is coming from????

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Reyman

I had the immersion turned on the other day and it was not heating very well so I decided to lift the cap and increase the temperature. I noticed that it was a bit wet under the cap where all the wiring is.

I killed power and dried everywhere. Turned up temperature to about 55 degrees. Everything worked fine - water heated. I checked again 2 hrs later when I was turning it off and the roof of the immersion cap was a little wet on the inside. It was similar to condenstation.

Has anyonw any advice where this is coming from????

Sounds to me like you've got a slight leak from the actual elements which terminate within the cap. There's a fair pressure from the attic tank and if there is even a tiny leak you'll get water.
    I've never heard of this before to be honest, but if this is what's happened it's dangerous in my opinion.

Water and 220 volts and a good copper earth are a lethal combination.

Isolate the power now and replace the immersion !

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Be afraid...be very afraid...the sealing ring in our immersion went, basically I switched the immersion on going to bed at midnight, came downstairs in the morning to niagra falls coming through the front room ceilling due to the seal bursting and water bubbling merrily from the tank.

Advertisement