Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

2006 volvos

Options
  • 04-12-2006 3:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭

I've heard that volvo cars are to be avoided since ford took over, any truth in the matter.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I've a good few S40s and S60s on fleet. One or two small problems with the S40s, but nothing serious. I wouldn't go so far as to say they should be avoided.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Volvoboy

Yep, re-baged fords, no volvo interests me post 95.

-VB-

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

I would avoid VOLVO at all costs.They depricate like mad.
    My dad has a volvo s80 t6, every week a bloody dashboard light comes on. now one day it took him nearly 2 hrs to get from cabinteely to tallaght because theres something wrong with the engine management system.
    He has had 3 volvos and they all have had problems but for some reason he hasn't coped on after paying 1000's on service bills. He will have to change the car soon and im trying to presuade him to get anything else but a volvo.
    Hope this makes it clear.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

mate of mine has an 06 S40 (think its an S40) and she eventually had to be given a totally new one after repeated issues with the computer system. Plus even though it looks pretty big from the outside, it's not that roomy inside (especially if you're in the back). My 02 Passat is a far better car I think.

Kaiser2000 wrote:
    mate of mine has an 06 S40 (think its an S40) and she eventually had to be given a totally new one after repeated issues with the computer system. Plus even though it looks pretty big from the outside, it's not that roomy inside (especially if you're in the back). My 02 Passat is a far better car I think.

Yes you are seriously right, i would prefer a passat or A4.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 46 69sparkie69

hi..i`ve a volvo s60, 2.4 diesel,with all bits on it...and i cant really fault it..!! apart from the low profile tyres burstin as you go through a pot hole,but by changing to a higher profile,thats cured that.. the only thing that has had to be changed through wear and tear,is the roll bar,and tyres..225x50x17,dont come cheap..but very economical car doing 55miles/gallon,and great comfortable heated seats..very safe too..police in uk using them and v70,mostly for traffic/motorway patrol cars.. do agree they drop in price..especially the s80`s...like a stone..my car cost over €50k in 03..and was lookin to trade it in for a s40,2lt, with all the gadgets,and it was costin nearly €19k to trade..!!! and €20k to trade to a passat..!!! feck that..i`ll stick with this car..look over in the uk or up north..cheap volvo`s there..!!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Kaiser2000 wrote:
    Plus even though it looks pretty big from the outside, it's not that roomy inside (especially if you're in the back).

That's because the S40 is actually based on the Ford Focus but costs around the same as a Passat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭MogwaiFearSatan

sorry guys, couldn’t resist the sig change.

Thanks for all the info. but.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

I have a S80 D5 and apart from minor glitches with the computer I've had no problems . Done 30,000 since March @ 38 MPG .

PS ..69sparkie69 ..What tyres did you put on ? As mine are ..225x50x17 at the moment .

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I doubt they're any less reliable since Ford took over, more that they aren't the be all and end all of safety anymore and have no unique selling point.

• Advertisement

They're boxy but they're good. Kinda true. Best car I ever had was an S60. I had two of them. A 2.0T and a T5. The T5 was just awesome. So much power and so comfortable to drive. The 2.0T was less powerful (but not lacking) and a real comfortable car too. The 2.0T was automatic and just drank juice. Less than 300 miles per tank!

The current S40 has more in common with a Ford than any previous Volvo, but they are still very 'Volvo'. None of the interior has a Ford look about it (unlike a Jag). It might share the same floorpan as the Focus but its still a Volvo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭G Luxel

The S40 present model looks like a large Focus saloon present model.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

I just spent a few hours last night composing a letter to Volvo for a friend who has decided that enough is enough for her and her 06 S40.

In the last 6 months it has spent 31 days off the road with computer problems, and she now wants either a new car, or her money back.

I'd be interested in that story kaiser 20000 if you could, to help her win her case.............PM if you can

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

galwaytt wrote:
    I just spent a few hours last night composing a letter to Volvo for a friend who has decided that enough is enough for her and her 06 S40.

In the last 6 months it has spent 31 days off the road with computer problems, and she now wants either a new car, or her money back.

I'd be interested in that story kaiser 20000 if you could, to help her win her case.............PM if you can

please tell us how you get on when you get a reply from volvo

galwaytt wrote:

I actually have a similar problem with an S40 - non start problem due to ignition barrell fault - or so I'm told. I know of another incident where someone got the car replaced due to this fault. The fault occurs once every 6 weeks or so. I'm trying to build a case to take to Volvo so if any posters could PM me with details I'd be grateful. I will let any PMer know how to go about sorting this out based on what I find out...................

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 kvw

I've an XC90 D5 with a few weeks now and can't fault it so far, not the most economical car I've ever had but thankfully no problems to report.

G Luxel wrote:
    The S40 present model looks like a large Focus saloon present model.

There's a very very good reason for this........

• Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

same chassis!?

XC90's bring on an engine management light if the tracking is off!! Lovely jeep to drive, though!

Gimme a black D5/T5 S60 anyday - just right balance of comfort, power, interior and exterior size!

land9 wrote:
    same chassis!?

XC90's bring on an engine management light if the tracking is off!! Lovely jeep to drive, though!

Gimme a black D5/T5 S60 anyday - just right balance of comfort, power, interior and exterior size!

I have to admit i thought the xc90 was a beautiful jeep, i was driving my uncles for nealy 2 months but i wouldnt buy one.I would prefer a range rover or even x5.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭EIN

Kaiser2000 wrote:

i sold my s40 2.0d SE after only 8mths of ownership from new.......
    the 2.0 diesel is fast, but mine cut out lots of times while taking off in first gear, and always at the wrong/dangerous times........ also heard clicks coming from the front of the car as i let the clutch out.,,,

also had intermittent squeaks from the alternator belt, and fuel economy was crap...( garage said car was fine and no problems)

i have heard people also with petrol s40's giving out bout crap fuel economy...
    i couldnt sell it privately and had to trade it in to get rid of it.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

EIN wrote:
    but mine cut out lots of times while taking off in first gear, and always at the wrong/dangerous times........

Pretty much all modern diesels do this. Some are worse than others.

You took a fair hit selling the car after only 8 mths! It was hardly bad enough to justify this!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

kvw wrote:
    I've an XC90 D5 with a few weeks now and can't fault it so far, not the most economical car I've ever had but thankfully no problems to report.

I drove one recently and thought the engine was very noisy and it was a bit unrefined to drive too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭sk8board

That D5 engines is fantastic. Test-drove a new S60 recently with my dather-in-law. He ended up going for an A6 diesel cause he didn't like all the power in the S60! (185bhp).

I really like the S40, and I know there is about a 5 month waiting list. For volvo, its been a sales revelation. They are everywhere. We checked out the S40 when testing the S60, and it was all 2007 prices. That was July.
    Sure its built on the new Focus chassis, but thats a brilliant chassis (we just got one, just back from a 100 mile country and motorway drive. Its truely fantastic to drive). We have a FOUT YEAR warranty. Thats hardly a Marque thats not confident with their cars. Incidently there are a number of Volvo-badged parts under the bonnet (perhaps its a volvo engine? dunno. The old focus had yamaha engines)

The S40 interior is so good it only a matter of time before the others copy it, and the list of standard equiptment is 2nd to absolutely none.

I'd have it over a passat any day of the week, which costs a little more by the time you have the same spec.

maidhc wrote:
    Pretty much all modern diesels do this. Some are worse than others.

You took a fair hit selling the car after only 8 mths! It was hardly bad enough to justify this!

they dont, i have toyota diesels now and it hasnt happened once with the toyota!!!!

sk8board wrote:
    That D5 engines is fantastic. Test-drove a new S60 recently with my dather-in-law. He ended up going for an A6 diesel cause he didn't like all the power in the S60! (185bhp).

I really like the S40, and I know there is about a 5 month waiting list. For volvo, its been a sales revelation. They are everywhere. We checked out the S40 when testing the S60, and it was all 2007 prices. That was July.
    Sure its built on the new Focus chassis, but thats a brilliant chassis (we just got one, just back from a 100 mile country and motorway drive. Its truely fantastic to drive). We have a FOUT YEAR warranty. Thats hardly a Marque thats not confident with their cars. Incidently there are a number of Volvo-badged parts under the bonnet (perhaps its a volvo engine? dunno. The old focus had yamaha engines)

The S40 interior is so good it only a matter of time before the others copy it, and the list of standard equiptment is 2nd to absolutely none.

I'd have it over a passat any day of the week, which costs a little more by the time you have the same spec.

the warranty is 2yrs with the volvo! only 2. i know of 3 people that sold their diesel s40's after one year.. s40 is a small car and boot opening is small.
    the diesel 2.0 s40 is thirsty compared to others... and the depreciate very very very fast compared with other makes and models.

there is not a 5 month waiting list. you could have a new s40 tomorrow!
    just look at the issues people had with the s40 on here, mine cut out when taking off in first gear, intermittently, also there was an intermittent squeaking from the belts, not sure which one...

yes the spec is good, but look at the price! you are paying well for the spec!
    volvo dealers are not that plentiful in ireland.!

i nearly bought a v70 after the s40 thank god i didnt..

EIN wrote:
    they dont, i have toyota diesels now and it hasnt happened once with the toyota!!!!

Our D4D stalls pretty easily.

It has also been a brutally troublesome car so you just never know with these things!

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054884189&highlight=s40+avensis

kinda funny now when you look back on it....

(particularly the bits about great residual values and being well built....)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭sk8board

EIN wrote:
    mine cut out when taking off in first gear, intermittently, also there was an intermittent squeaking from the belts, not sure which one...

naturally I don't know your car, but that seems a bit picky. Every car cuts out intermittently in first gear. I've drove our car 2 or 3 times since we got it last week, and its cut out twice on me, in first gear, in a carpark though.

By Volvo standards, the new S40 is a very successful car.

The avensis is a very boring car (only sold in moondust silver?). Sure its got incredible reliability, but at a price. (the opposite to an Alfa; great design, but at the cost of reliability)

Volvo's (and Saabs for that matter) fit nicely into the middle somewhere between the toyota and the Alfa.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,397 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

colm_mcm wrote:
    kinda funny now when you look back on it....

It is :)

More so imho about how the S40 has always been cleverly marketed in both the old and the current model as a car a size up from what it really is. Nothing new on the Avensis side. It does what it says on the tin

• Advertisement

sk8board wrote:
    The avensis is a very boring car (only sold in moondust silver?). Sure its got incredible reliability, but at a price. (the opposite to an Alfa; great design, but at the cost of reliability)

Ours is silver!

Its not a boring car though. How could you bored with a knocking rear suspension, a gearbox that only works sometimes, a saggy door, and rainwater dropping on your head from a rust hole...

Advertisement