Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What do we get after one year?

• 04-12-2006 3:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭

Im doing CW020, in my first year.. are we awarded a national cert at the end of the first year or anything ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,877 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

after the first year in any course, u usually have a beer belly and the clap.

in terms of educational awards, u'll get a cert after 2 years and nothin after the first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 515 ✭✭✭daithimac

If you can even manage to pass first year its considered an achivement in itself worth of a ticker tape parade and 72 virgins in pardise (otherwise known as a session in compsoc)
    you get nothing but abuse and a funking lot of it

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,962 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

You are awarded entry to 2nd year,lucky you.
    not many make it that far

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

The_B_Man wrote:
    after the first year in any course, u usually have a beer belly and the clap.

Shame you had both already :D

Zero after first year Im afraid. I failed first year so the glory of getting into 2nd year alone should be enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭Kazu

Im doing CW020, in my first year.. are we awarded a national cert at the end of the first year or anything ?

hes gonna fail :D:D

the poor chap does even know that a cert is two years :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Kazu wrote:
    hes gonna fail :D:D

the poor chap does even know that a cert is two years :rolleyes:

Its a bad start alright! The more evil of us may have told him he graduates in November :o

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Evo

Its a bad start alright! The more evil of us may have told him he graduates in November :o

fail?! meh... nope.. if Im gonna fail why do I get over 80 in everything ? :p

first year... BORING.. wheres the challenge ???! I wanna challenge.. going insane with bordem.. :(

cocky bastard!!

reminds me of me when I did CNOC. except when I did it, it was harder. like we did C instead of piss easy VB, along with ASP, linux, bash scripting, assembly, and a loada networking with some physics and maths thrown in for good measure! all this with a constant hangover! nice!

Evo wrote:

first year... BORING.. wheres the challenge ???! I wanna challenge.. going insane with bordem.. :(

Ah just poking some fun. If you wanted a challenge you should have done CW019...........end users ftw!

Yes, the challenge is passing CW019 with ur eyes closed, arms tied behind ur back, and drunk. its fairly hard-ish if u do that!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,811 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

The_B_Man wrote:
    Yes, the challenge is passing CW019 with ur eyes closed, arms tied behind ur back, and drunk. its fairly hard-ish if u do that!

meow

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,962 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

They do vb in cnoc now?
    What a waste!!

Please tell me they still do assembly?;)

Do they still do hours of maths?it was horrible!!

Evo - are you bored from lack of challnge or cause hte course is incredibley boring?

The_B_Man wrote:

Like to see you do it....muppet.

Like to see you do it....muppet.

meow meow

i did the 3rd year of it in me spare time!!

i lived wit 3 ppl doin it and did all their projects, aswell as explaining all the course material to them that they didnt understand.

The_B_Man wrote:
    i did the 3rd year of it in me spare time!!

i lived wit 3 ppl doin it and did all their projects, aswell as explaining all the course material to them that they didnt understand.

you did cw036, not 3rd year of cwo19. Cw019 can break into 2 different courses in 2nd year

were was this attitude for d final year dude? Im mean Fintin, you were phenominal in previous years...totally like

Roight, who's for coffee?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭Ivan

Somebody should really start a "The_B_man appreciation thread" on the feedback forums. C'mon, who's with me?! :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭woodyg

The_B_Man did you actually ever pass your final exams or id ya bother doin them at all?

Trilla: No, i lived wit 3 ppl who were in CSM3, while i was in CW036.

I did my course, and did their stuff in me spare time.

woodyg: nope. got a job and left it at that. well, i actually did the ones in may but didnt bother with the repeats.

dont worry B Man I still think you are a legend

• Advertisement

i got called a hero in carlow too....

I wonder can i apply for "Lero" status?!?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 695 ✭✭✭DaSilva

Evo wrote:

Heh, if your looking for a challenge, start finding ways of getting into another College/Uni asap.

I did CW020, flew through programming & networking part of it, but was a lazy git and put in no effort where I needed it, the physics (electronics and fibre optics), so I ended up failing 2nd Year.

Came back and im doing CW019 programming now instead, since CW020 doesnt have a 2nd year this year. Programming is more my thing so im glad it worked out this way, but dont expect anything bordering a challenge, unless that is you step up to the bordem challenge, of actually trying to believe anything they teach you in the Systems Analysis is actually worth a damn. God damn ER diagrams are such tripe.

I actually had a question on a test last week from this class asking "What are 10 guidelines to writing a questionaire", well I really have to thank ITCarlow for showing me the complex and intelectual world of the questionaire!

VB is pathetic at the moment for me. Making endless programms full of option boxes and textboxes.

I have a lot too say about the lecturers too but this isnt the place, if you want some real info on what to expect from year 2, give me a pm. This is assuming you actually are interested in computers and actually want to do something smart or new when you finish. If you want to become another VB, database obsessed, payroll system programmer, dont worry thats exactly what they will teach you to be.

Its important to realise, youre in a CERT! Youre not at degree level yet. Im pretty sure all of us thought our CERTS were awful when we started. If you go onto a degree and want to get good marks you wont be twiddling your thumbs.

There is nothing I learned at CERT level I will ever use again.

DaSilva wrote:
    Heh, if your looking for a challenge, start finding ways of getting into another College/Uni asap.

I did CW020, flew through programming & networking part of it, but was a lazy git and put in no effort where I needed it, the physics (electronics and fibre optics), so I ended up failing 2nd Year.

Came back and im doing CW019 programming now instead, since CW020 doesnt have a 2nd year this year. Programming is more my thing so im glad it worked out this way, but dont expect anything bordering a challenge, unless that is you step up to the bordem challenge, of actually trying to believe anything they teach you in the Systems Analysis is actually worth a damn. God damn ER diagrams are such tripe.

I actually had a question on a test last week from this class asking "What are 10 guidelines to writing a questionaire", well I really have to thank ITCarlow for showing me the complex and intelectual world of the questionaire!

VB is pathetic at the moment for me. Making endless programms full of option boxes and textboxes.

I have a lot too say about the lecturers too but this isnt the place, if you want some real info on what to expect from year 2, give me a pm. This is assuming you actually are interested in computers and actually want to do something smart or new when you finish. If you want to become another VB, database obsessed, payroll system programmer, dont worry thats exactly what they will teach you to be.
    So you failed 2nd year of one course and are now in the first year of another course and you are recommending to someone else that if they want a challenge they should go someplace else? :s

Err... I'm pretty sure there is a flaw in that logic, but I'm not quite sure...

Ivan wrote:
    So you failed 2nd year of one course and are now in the first year of another course and you are recommending to someone else that if they want a challenge they should go someplace else? :s

Err... I'm pretty sure there is a flaw in that logic, but I'm not quite sure...

Actually no, Im in 2nd year of another course, they let me skip the first year. And I failed 2nd year of Cnoc not because it was hard, but because I was a lazy git and never came in or studied, which is the same reason im in IT Carlow in the first place, did the same thing with the Leaving Cert. Ive copped on now.

And your logic is whats flawed, you assume since I failed the year that it was challenging, which is wrong. Most people who passed it, simply passed it because they came in everyday, because of the way the IT throws points at people who attend lectures.

DaSilva wrote:
    Most people who passed it, simply passed it because they came in everyday, because of the way the IT throws points at people who attend lectures.

Yeah I hate the way the college are so easy going like that, what next? Letting people skip a year?

You seem to think that people are marked on their attendance, could it in some bizarre sense be that when people attend they actually pick something up in the class?

Also what happens when you go out into the workplace. Chances are you will be working some terrible/boring job for the first year or so. You probably just wont show up then? Probably get bitter about how people who actually go to work get all the promotions/pay rises.

DaSilva wrote:
    And your logic is whats flawed, you assume since I failed the year that it was challenging, which is wrong. Most people who passed it, simply passed it because they came in everyday, because of the way the IT throws points at people who attend lectures.

Not quite, you'll find my logic was along the lines of "You didnt manage to pass, so you dont get to comment on whats easy or not ;)"

Harsh, but pretty fair in my book. And I also didnt attend very much college in 2nd year but I passed... Thats not to say the course was easy, just that I'm incredibly intelligent :p

You seem to think that people are marked on their attendance, could it in some bizarre sense be that when people attend they actually pick something up in the class?

It does actually kinda work like that with some classes, I missed 4 Optics labs, and therefore failed the lab part of the course, so no matter how good my lab work was I would get no points for it. Im not saying its bad, but it does work like that sometimes.
    Also what happens when you go out into the workplace. Chances are you will be working some terrible/boring job for the first year or so. You probably just wont show up then? Probably get bitter about how people who actually go to work get all the promotions/pay rises.

I think youll find I dont think its smart not to attend, I was just a lazy git, and Im not like that now.
    Ivan wrote:
    Not quite, you'll find my logic was along the lines of "You didnt manage to pass, so you dont get to comment on whats easy or not ;)"

Well Im not going to argue semantics with you over your "logic". So by your "logic" then ok I have no permission to comment on whats easy or not. But by my logic which is, if something is mentally challenging, then its hard, I do get to comment, and I say no it wasn't hard.
    Ivan wrote:
    Harsh, but pretty fair in my book. And I also didnt attend very much college in 2nd year but I passed... Thats not to say the course was easy, just that I'm incredibly intelligent :p
    Great

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭woodyg

your not marked on just attendance, it's attendance and also doin the work when there. Optics is must attend lab class which your warned about. So its not a fail for not goin its a fail for not being there to do the work! the same way you'll get the sack for not goin to work.

• Advertisement

woodyg wrote:
    your not marked on just attendance, it's attendance and also doin the work when there. Optics is must attend lab class which your warned about. So its not a fail for not goin its a fail for not being there to do the work! the same way you'll get the sack for not goin to work.

Just because you use an anology doesn't give your arguement weight. You are right you will get the sack from work, but you will still get paid for the days you did go to work. On the other hand, I turned up for some labs, and did work and got some marks, however because I didn't reach the criteria of attendance in the labs, those marks meant got zero'ed out.

Again however, let me remind you I'm not trying to defend my failing, I failed because I didn't put in effort, and was a lazy git in general. I didn't fail however because the course was 'challenging' or 'hard'.

Advertisement