Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VRT Office

Options
  • 04-12-2006 4:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 741 ✭✭✭

I got a English 1992 BMW 316i with a 1.8 engine. All is above board with the correct documents. The VRT office don't have this car on their computer. Are they obliged to register it or will I be stuck with an English car. The insurance company don't mind and I have a letter of protection from the revenue commissioners for the guards but this won't do forever.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭layke

Er... tricky one.

What did te Revenue say about it? I assume they will have to register it providing it's gone though the EU road tests.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 741 ✭✭✭michaelanthony

They said they'd check with Rosslare. Your one got back to me then and double checked that the details were correct. She said she'd check with Rosslare again. There were at least 3 of these on sale in the UK in the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

As it is a 1992 316i it sounds like it originally had a 1.6 litre engine but had a replacement 1.8 litre fitted at some stage. If the UK registration documentation reflects this change then surely the VRO should be able to register it as a 1.8 litre here?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 741 ✭✭✭michaelanthony

Yeah, I think it's a replacement engine aswell. Though the car originally came from CapeTown and was registered in London in 1998.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

Normally when the VRO cant find the car and they ring Rosslare to get details, they normally come back with a VRT figure way above the OMSP, so if this happens is I would contest the OMSP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

All is above board with the correct documents. The VRT office don't have this car on their computer. Are they obliged to register it or will I be stuck with an English car.

I'm not sure if Rosslare come up with the VRT, but they sure are the people coming up with the model type/data for the Revenue dabase and the VRCert, so they'll just create the code and forward all relevant details to your VRO. It can take a while, though. Been through it myself.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭kikel

Rosslare will have a figure for you in a few days. Don't worry about it. I doubt it will vary much from a standard 316 or 318. Why would it cost more? If any thing it would be worth less. IMO

Advertisement