Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GMIT - M.Sc. in Computing

Options
  • 04-12-2006 5:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭

Has anyone taken this part time masters, or know of anyone that's done it, or even heard anything about it? Is it any good, widely recognised etc.

It seems to be a choice between this and the M.Sc. in NUIG/Regis University if you are in Galway. I have heard plenty about the NUIG one, but nothing about the GMIT one. Any info is good info!

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭gerryo

Has anyone taken this part time masters, or know of anyone that's done it, or even heard anything about it? Is it any good, widely recognised etc.

It seems to be a choice between this and the M.Sc. in NUIG/Regis University if you are in Galway. I have heard plenty about the NUIG one, but nothing about the GMIT one. Any info is good info!

Thanks

I have, I thought it was a great course, particularly the way it is structured in modules. Was very Java centric ,which was great:)

Very practial too!. Got the benefit of lecturers with real world experience.
    As for recognition, I think it is widely recognised & accredited within the EU.

I know some people who did the NUIG one, that was good also, can't really say which is better, depends which suits your lifestyle.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

The classroom environment is quite appealing to me, were there many in the part time course do you know?

The classroom environment is quite appealing to me, were there many in the part time course do you know?

I did the part time course (Friday afternoon/evening lectures).
    There is a full time course, but I don't think there are many doing it.

There were some practicals in labs.
    About 12~14 in the class.

Because it's modular, there's a mix of students who have completed one or more modules in with the fresh intake, makes no difference really.

Interesting hearing about the different roles/experiences among attendees, lots of varied backgrounds.

And, they like Linux up there :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

Thanks for the info Gerry... very helpful!

Linux eh!? Yikes! I'm MFC all the way, windows for the win!

Thanks for the info Gerry... very helpful!

Linux eh!? Yikes! I'm MFC all the way, windows for the win!

Well..for assignments, you can use whatever you like best, long as it does what it's supposed to do, unless the assignment is Java specific.

Great thing about Java is the portability. Downside is the slower exec speed.
    Guess you could do the thesis in whatever suits best.

As for Linux, well it costs nothing + there is lots of great free apps (Apache, MySQL, etc) available & it may be lecturers have a preference for it.

Eclipse is a great free IDE, available for both Linux +Win. Mainly Java , but there is a C++ version (I think). Ubuntu Linux is brilliant for beginners, just throw it at a PC & you are up & running with no hassle.

I'm sure Msoft give colleges donation of SW or good deals.

• Advertisement
Advertisement