Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FTP Server help?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭parliament

Too much to read in that link, what is the problem you are experiencing? What FTP server software are you using?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭tom_ass19

Im using the windows ftp server that you install from the windows xp disk. When i try to connect to the server from a different from a different pc in the house a message pops up saying:

"Windows cannot connect to this server, make sure you typed the name correctly or you do not have permission to access. Details: The connection has timed out"

Is there any firewall between the client and the FTP server?
    you could try telnet to the FTP server to test connectivity eg telnet 192.168.x.x 21

Ya theirs just the windows firewall. tried to telnet but it timed out. anything else...

can you disable the firewall and test again? have you tried connecting ftp to the localhost?

• Advertisement

Ya it works now when both firewalls are off from my pc and also the clients pc. How can I get it to work with firewalls on.

you will need to create a rule to allow port 21 inbound on the FTP server, either for ANY source of one IP or range of IP's

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭djmarkus

bear in mind FTP uses 2 ports, 21 for commands and another random port for data!

oh yeah open ports 20 and 21

and how does one do that. Add ports in the windows firewall, what name will I use for the program when i add the port.

• Advertisement

anyone...

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Wcool

Goto Settings -> Control Panel -> Windows Firewall

tabpage Exceptions

Add Port

Port 21
    and repeat for port 20

No need for specific program, still quite safe as no other program would be looking at 20/21 (it is utterly reserved for FTP)

Advertisement