Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is distance learning an option?

Options
  • 04-12-2006 6:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29

hey, was just wondering if it was worth it to do a distance learning course? like, would it be recognised as a legit qualification? How hard is it to do compared to doing a collage course? also, where would be the best place to go to for a autoCAD design course?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

hey, was just wondering if it was worth it to do a distance learning course? like, would it be recognised as a legit qualification?

It is worth it. Just make sure it is from a reputable college, such as any of the third level colleges or universities and that their courses are accredited by either HETAC or the university itself. www.oscail.ie is an example of such courses.
    How hard is it to do compared to doing a collage course? also, where would be the best place to go to for a autoCAD design course?

It should be comparable to a "normal" college course, just the materials are geared towards distance learning.

I doubt there would be too many niche courses such as AutoCad - distance learning courses tend to be generic, such as Arts, Computers or business.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Try the open university

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 afino

Moonbeam wrote:
    Try the open university

I agree, have a look at the Open University www.open.ac.uk

I just completed my B.Sc. with them and was able to use my Irish diploma towards it. The range of courses is staggering compared to the more limited range in Oscail (DCU's distance ed). The tutorial support is great, materials excellent too. I'm a big fan.

Only major downside is the fees. A single subject will cost you about €1000 but you will get 20% tax relief on it. Worth a look anyway..

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

I'm not sure they do anything like autoCAD though :/

Advertisement