Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

car Security

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,665 ✭✭✭gary the great

Hagar wrote:
    Don't park in the same place tonight.
    You don't know who they are but one of them sure as Hell now knows who you are.
    Not the wisest thing you have ever done my friend.:(

No i know who he is, he already knew who I am, he didnt know it was my car. Lets just say he knows who I know and wont be messing with the car anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

I hope your right. I'd still go ahead with the alarm improvements though, you were lucky that time.

Just a thought, is it possible to get a locking device for the bonnet release catch inside the car to stop the bonnet being opened if they do get in?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭franksm

junkyard wrote:
    If things are that rough in your neighborhood its an ex RUC Landrover you should have bought not a Mazda 323.:)

Can't buy those - I should know, I have tried :D

Although I did see one on the back of a trailer heading down the N11 two years ago.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Hagar wrote:
    I hope your right. I'd still go ahead with the alarm improvements though, you were lucky that time.
    Bloody hell Gary the great. Mad isn't in it. Glad to hear how the scum fell over a couple of times. Like Hagar I hope it doesn't come back to haunt you.

Just a thought, is it possible to get a locking device for the bonnet release catch inside the car to stop the bonnet being opened if they do get in?
    A lot of cars can be opened from the outside of the car(especially Jap cars), believe it or not, so locking the release catch in that case won't help much. What you could do is undo the catch itself and move it to somewhere else less obvious. It doesn't have to be hidden, just moved enough to confuse the scum. Like everything else it's another layer.

At this point I would invest in a pager alarm so that you're aware of the first attempt by the scum to steal your car.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭cormac_byrne

franksm wrote:
    Can't buy those - I should know, I have tried :D

You can certainly get ex MOD NI vehicles from places like Witham

They have ex MOD Landrovers

or a NI Fire Engine with riot protection (obviously)
    £5,500
    1950s (ie low VRT, road tax and classic insurance)

http://www.witham-sv.com/infopage.php?ID=723&Overide=1

or a tank for £11,500
    http://www.witham-sv.com/infopage.php?ID=847&Overide=1
    this is 1990s with 4.2L engine so very high VRT and road tax
    (God knows what the insurance companies would say)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Unreal, last night some little scumbag attempted to rob the car. About 12.30 and i was just heading to sleep when i heard the alarm. The alarm is not sensitive and only goes of if the doors are opened or someone is messing with the door handle. SO jumped up to see 2 little hooded ****s playing with my door. So threw on the trousers and runners and legged it out. They didnt notice me running towards then and by the time i got out the front door they had the bonnet up. I shouted at them so they wouldnt cut the alarm wires and the just dropped the bonnet and ran. I was so full of adrenilin i kept chasing them and one lad was real slow. As i was catching up with him he threw a hacksaw at me (was obviuosly goona cut the wheel) and then i caught him and beat the livin ****e out of him. I wouldnt be a violent person but i was so full of rage that I just went mad on him. his friend fecked off and left him there to get beaten, even though the 2 could of probly taken me. He wont be robbing a car for a while thats for sure. I also took his phone and smashed it off the ground until it broke and took the money out of his wallet to cover any damage he did to the lock (was only 20euro).

I think im going to go out and get a disklock at the weekend, this should sort it out and help me sleep at night. Im also goona drive it up onto the green in front of my house and park it right outside my house.

****in pricks you cant have anything without the scum trying to steal it.

Good on you, glad to see these scumbags get what they deserve for a change.

What area are you in if you don't mind me asking? Somewhere in Dublin I presume?

I'd consider the snap off wheel still if I were you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭franksm

Good on ye, lad, always glad to hear of some proper "work" done on these scummers.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,990 ✭✭✭✭Stark

That made my day.

I rang a lad i know well around the area earlier. Told him what happened and who it was.

He rang me back and told me he knocked around to his house " to see how he was". He told the scumbag that if ANYONE went near that car or me, he'd blame it on him and he'd get his two legs broke. Nobody messes with this guy, he means business. He told me his face turned white when he opened the door and seen who it was and was all apolegetic! He told me I did a nice job on his face too.

Still gonna invest in some extra security measures though.

I moved up to Rossfield in Tallaght, only 3 weeks ago. Lucky its only a temporary arrangment and am only here until Febuary.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I rang a lad i know well around the area earlier. Told him what happened and who it was.

He rang me back and told me he knocked around to his house " to see how he was". He told the scumbag that if ANYONE went near that car or me, he'd blame it on him and he'd get his two legs broke.
    Now that Sir is security you can't buy. Can I be your friend too?:D
    Good plan.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement

Anyone know if this is any good? it isnt a disclock, but it works on the same pricipal and looks the same, but its so much cheaper than the disclock, which is a whopping 130euro

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/DISKLOCK-MOTO-LOCK-STEERING-WHEEL-LOCK-CROOK-LOCK-NEW_W0QQitemZ320057895899QQihZ011QQcategoryZ15329QQcmdZViewItem

or

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/STEERING-WHEEL-LOCK-HIGH-SECURITY-CLAMP-BRAND-NEW_W0QQitemZ110065273746QQihZ001QQcategoryZ121979QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Brand-New-Autolok-2000-Steering-Wheel-Lock_W0QQitemZ130057217832QQihZ003QQcategoryZ121979QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I know that bar the last one the pretty much just cheaper imatations, but tbh there probly nearly as good and the thing is more of a visua; deteernt than anything. If i got one of these cheaper ones it would allow me to upgrade the alarm system as well, making the car much more theft proof.

The first one looks fairly robust and should sort you and the alarm upgrades will certainly help.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,927 ✭✭✭stesaurus

He rang me back and told me he knocked around to his house " to see how he was". He told the scumbag that if ANYONE went near that car or me, he'd blame it on him and he'd get his two legs broke. Nobody messes with this guy, he means business. He told me his face turned white when he opened the door and seen who it was and was all apolegetic! He told me I did a nice job on his face too.

I moved up to Rossfield in Tallaght, only 3 weeks ago. Lucky its only a temporary arrangment and am only here until Febuary.

Who do you know from Rossfield? I'm from Jobstown myself and just had my car vandalised. I was only defending Tallaght to someone the other night. But this kind of thing and my car getting vandalised makes you start thinking of the benefits of ethnic cleansing for most of Tallaght !

Wibbs wrote:
    The first one looks fairly robust and should sort you and the alarm upgrades will certainly help.

I actually won the last one on ebay, second hand for 10quid. It says on the autolok website it can resist 15mins of combined attacks from professional thiefs, so im happy with that. It also leaves me with plenty of cash to sort out the alarm.

Can't go wrong for a tenner(providing it comes with keys of course, or you'll find out the hard way how hard it is to bypass :D)

I got a flashing LED instead of putting in an alarm, but i cant install it. Any ideas? I cant find a live wire near the ignition and if i wire it into the ignition it will be on constrantly, which i dont really want.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

You should be able to pick up a live from the radio.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,501 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

how do those pager alarms work? Are they a standard alarm with a radio transmitter in them? Ive no alarm on my car, and want to get a nice proper alarm.

Advertisement