Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car- down on power (somewhat)?

Options
  • 04-12-2006 6:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19,410 ✭✭✭✭

Hey guys,

You might be able to help me out here. I have a 01 VW Bora SDI diesel and yesterday I noticed coming home in the evening that it was kind of down on acceleration (I know, lets face it it's not exactly a Ferrari to start with but i felt I was putting my foot to floor and getting very little response, especailly on hills). And that time when I had started it up it made a strange sound and then ticked over as normal. Perhaps driving through the floods yesterday might have done some harm maybe?
    I'm gettting my mechanic to have a look the next day or two, get him to change the fuel filter (18,000miles since it was done) and oil filter was changed in July. It started fine as usual this morning. This is unusual as the car never has had any trouble 'til now.

You might know/have some idea what is up.
    Thanks in advance,
    Mfitzy.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭E@gle.

could be the plug's or plug leads. is the car jumping a bit in high gears?? do u have to drop a gear when u shouldnt have to

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

E@gle. wrote:
    could be the plug's or plug leads.
    It's a diesel :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭phill106

i had the same on my passat, turned out to be the boost control valve (also known as the n75 valve). Thats assuming an sdi has this, my tdi did anyway.
    Dont think it would be plugs and leads, diesels dont have them do they?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

No turbo in the SDI.

Possibly a cracked spill pipe.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Just a few regular faults on VWs of that era : Air mass meter, intake manifold pressure sensor, lambda sensor, cayalytic convertor (blocked). All these are common enough on VW diesels - and a few more on the TDI versions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

I had very similar symptoms in the petrol Beemer. It was in fact the catalyst that failed. Clues that it is the cat are rattly noises from the cat on engine start / stop, and more noticeably, the problem got worse, the longer I drove the car. So on start up the car drove 95% ok for say 10mins and got worse from there on in.

Advertisement