Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tax Office Today

Options
  • 04-12-2006 6:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭

My girlfriend just bought her first car two weeks ago (when I say bought, I mean she told me which one she'd like and I did all the rest!!) Ownership forms arrived on Friday so I go to tax it today and I have to pay for the month of November too. Now I know it's only 23 quid or whatever but point is we left the car in storage because we couldn't tax it and didn't want to drive it without tax. Just another example of how we the ordinary people who want to do things properly get raped by the system.. Sorry I needed to rant because I hadn't got enough cash on me to pay the arrears and I had to go off to an ATM then come back after queueing for an hour and a half already

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭kc66

You could have gone to Garda station and got them to stamp the form to say it was off the road. Usually no problem doing it. You wouldnt have to pay for the month then.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

There is a simple procedure for declaring a car off the road, you get the correct form (available at the tax office or any garda station) fill in the bit about the car being off the road, get a garda to sign it and present it to the tax office.

You were only "raped" because you did not do it properly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

Point is I couldn't tax the car because I hadn't received the registration form, therefore I couldn't drive the car and I'm still being charged for the month of November. What I'm saying is I had to pay for November even though the car couldn't be legally driven in November

Onkle51 wrote:
    Point is I couldn't tax the car because I hadn't received the registration form, therefore I couldn't drive the car and I'm still being charged for the month of November. What I'm saying is I had to pay for November even though the car couldn't be legally driven in November

It is becoming clear why you had difficulty, you are not reading properly.

As already said (twice) all you had to do was declare the car in other ownership until you bought it and off the road for the rest of November and you wouldn't have had to pay any tax for that month.

See sections 5 and 7 of the renewal form RF100A here

and the notes here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Maybe this will help:

All you had to do was declare the car in other ownership until you bought it and off the road for the rest of November and you wouldn't have had to pay any tax for that month

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Onkle51 wrote:

What you crying about? not our fault you haven't a clue about cars/tax etc. God love your GF if she left you to buy the car. Prob has no wheels or engine:p

I have a sneeky feeling this isn't about your GF car and its your own car. Seeing as you said I couldn't drive it. Its also easy to see why you paided this seeing as a couple of people have already told you what you should have done and you ignored them and posted again. Read the posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

OP - there was nothing to stop you from driving the car. When any vehicle changes ownership, there is a grace period given (28 days) in which you can drive it. You are not the first person in Ireland to buy a car. You were perfectly entitled to drive it during November, even if it wasn't taxed (provided you were insured), as it had changed hands. Any Gardai will know and understand this. They deal with it on a daily basis.

OP - there was nothing to stop you from driving the car. When any vehicle changes ownership, there is a grace period given (28 days) in which you can drive it. You are not the first person in Ireland to buy a car. You were perfectly entitled to drive it during November, even if it wasn't taxed (provided you were insured), as it had changed hands. Any Gardai will know and understand this. They deal with it on a daily basis.

Exactly, last year when I bought my car there was a problem in garage and they never sent off tax form so I was driving around for about 3 months before it got sorted. I just had forms for car when I bought it in front pocket, was stopped once about 2 months after buying, explained to Garda, he joked about the car tax system and let me drive on. In the end when I got tax thru went to Garda station about it, they filled out form and just said it was off the road for the 3 months even thou I told them I was driving car. Said it didnt matter and Bernie wouldnt be seeing as much cash this month:p

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭endplate

I drove my car for 3 months untaxed cos it was in the garage on a few occasions with a problem they were having trouble sorting. After it was sorted called into a local Garda station to get them to declare it was off the road got a dubious look as he asked me:D but end result was didn't pay any arrears happy days eh

endplate wrote:
    I drove my car for 3 months untaxed cos it was in the garage on a few occasions with a problem they were having trouble sorting. After it was sorted called into a local Garda station to get them to declare it was off the road got a dubious look as he asked me:D but end result was didn't pay any arrears happy days eh

Most Garda dont care cause at least ur going to pay ur tax. They get pi**ed when ur driving around and dont even try. Never heard of a Garda not signing the form. They dont get commission or anyting on tax so they dont mind once you show you are going to pay tax.

• Advertisement

Big Nelly wrote:
    What you crying about? not our fault you haven't a clue about cars/tax etc. God love your GF if she left you to buy the car. Prob has no wheels or engine:p

Funny, that's exactly my attitude to your hissyfit over not following the correct procedure with buying train tickets.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

John R wrote:
    Funny, that's exactly my attitude to your hissyfit over not following the correct procedure with buying train tickets.

I love it. Excellent. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

Big Nelly wrote:

I have a sneeky feeling this isn't about your GF car and its your own car. Seeing as you said I couldn't drive it. Its also easy to see why you paided this seeing as a couple of people have already told you what you should have done and you ignored them and posted again. Read the posts.

What gives you the right to say I haven't got a clue about cars/tax?? I just have the luxury of somebody else paying for my tax and insurance etc... Also it is my girlfriends car but I am insured to drive it, I've already got a car. What got me the most was on Friday when I was in the tax office and hadn't got enoigh cash on me to pay the rest of the tax I asked the girl if the car could be driven and she said no. I know most guards would be understanding but we didn't want to take the risk. Fair enough I wasn't aware that I could declare the car off the road, I thought I'd need a garage report or something.

Advertisement