Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weekend Services in UCD, or Lack Thereof...

Options
  • 04-12-2006 6:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭

Does anyone else think that the level of facility support from the college for students at the weekends is an absolute joke? In the runup to exams the college should be doing all it can to help students out. I'm delighted that they managed to get the library opening hours extended last year - step in the right direction as far as I'm concerned. Everything else, though? A huge let down.

Take the SU shop in the library building for example. The library has been packed this past weekend, and yet the shop is only open (I believe) a half day on the Saturday, and not at all on the Sunday. No wonder so many people choose to go home once lectures finish. The queues are out the door for the overpriced crap that is 911, and yet it's the only thing open, bar a Lord-Of-The-Rings style epic hike through the wind and rain up to Centra for a bag of crisps. As of six o clock on Sunday evening, the only thing 911 had left was wraps - no bread, as if they can't anticipate that it might be, um, busy during the exam period. The bins are all overflowing round the place, which is disgusting. And the dearth of food options on campus at the weekends mean that the vending machines (which should have a sandwich or two in them at least, or some attempt at a semi-healthy option) are all emptied out by Sunday morning. So it was either trek across through the ****ty weather to the Montrose for an overpriced sandwich, or survive on a meal of crappy coffee and two day old doughnuts for the evening.

I have no affiliation with the SU, but to be quite frank, if they did less grandstanding and playing politics and more getting things done on a day-to-day, ground-level where it impacts most of the students, I'd have a higher opinion of the pack of blowhards. Is this where our money is going?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭HappyCrackHead

You're totally right. And it is the SU's job to do something about this. I recommend you bring this to Dan Hayden and Dave Curran, I believe they both read this forum. Email them about it.

supresident@ucd.ie

sudeputy@ucd.ie

The shops should be open. On saturday, 12-6 at least and similar hours on sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

Either this is the weirdest case of coincidence ever or Ive got to be more discerning with whos on my campaign team.

I secondened a motion about this that was due to be submitted to last council but Chris Bond said it would be more appropriate to raise it at exec.
    Exec was Wednesday but I havent seen Chris since

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭AngelofFire

I brought it up at exec but there were only three members present.

Well both Dan and Dave were there, what had they to say?

Or Dan if you're reading this, maybe you'd put it in your own words for us/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

ok well i do agree that the shops should be open etc, but why not bring a packed lunch?? cheaper, healthier, to your taste, guaranteed...
    it's what i'd do...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭tintinr35

i was going to start a thread about this it really pisses me off. even centra is a joke at the weekend, they NEVER have Cigaretts or electricity (for those of us who live on campus)
    i understand that it may not be financially viable to keep the su shop open all the time or even hilpers but around exams they would definatly make money the amount of people around here at the moment!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Vorsprung

Weird, I was thinking about starting a thread on this today! I was in the library yesterday for the 1st time this year, so annoying having to eat out of 911 for lunch. I know it's probably tough to get staff with exams coming up, but even a skeleton crew would be good :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭pointofnoreturn

RE: PaddyofNine, level of facility

Your better off then you think, compare it to GMIT Library,
    They build a multi million euro building and only open the library for best part of 4 hours on a Saturday! Never mind Sundays!
    And weekdays they say they close @ 9:30 but no!, tell you to get out at 9!

Go across the city and NUI Galway opens their library from 8:30am to 10pm a month before the exams are coming up! And including Sundays, They also have an open access study room (know as the reading room) with wireless access too! This is open from 8am to 11pm,
    Check hear http://www.library.nuigalway.ie/openhours-calendar.jsp?facility=James+Hardiman+Library&month=11&year=2006

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭pimpy_c

RE: PaddyofNine, level of facility

Your better off then you think, compare it to GMIT Library,
    They build a multi million euro building and only open the library for best part of 4 hours on a Saturday! Never mind Sundays!
    And weekdays they say they close @ 9:30 but no!, tell you to get out at 9!

Go across the city and NUI Galway opens their library from 8:30am to 10pm a month before the exams are coming up! And including Sundays, They also have an open access study room (know as the reading room) with wireless access too! This is open from 8am to 11pm,
    Check hear http://www.library.nuigalway.ie/openhours-calendar.jsp?facility=James+Hardiman+Library&month=11&year=2006

What?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Tis a big problem though it definatly has improved since I started colege. At least now centra is open and 911. I think Brady will change this situation pretty soon since he wants to make it a 24 hour campus.
    The su shop should definatly be open to 10 on sat and sun.Im sure they'd have no bother finding staff for it.

While we're on this topic the resturant and lack of hot food situation is a disgrace on both weekdays and weekends. The fact that you cant get a hot meal past half 7 in Irelands largest university is just wrong and theres no chance of getting a hot meal on the weekend!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I'm never in UCD at the weekends (due to working), but it's absolutely insane that 911 should be the only place open. It's crap anyway - especially the coffee! There's a severe lack of thought among the vast majority of people in UCD who decide these things.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭beanyb

There was a sign up outside the SU shop saying that from this weekend, it'll be open from 10 til 7 on saturdays and sundays.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 356 ✭✭dirtydress

panda100 wrote:
    While we're on this topic the resturant and lack of hot food situation is a disgrace on both weekdays and weekends. The fact that you cant get a hot meal past half 7 in Irelands largest university is just wrong and theres no chance of getting a hot meal on the weekend!
    This really bothers me, I really dont like 911 so at the weekends (or indeed after 7 weekdays) I pretty much have to leave and go home to get food beyond a bar from the shop. Especially at this time students should be able to get hot meals when everyone is working much later than usual...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭cast_iron

I know it's nice to be able to buy food in college, but in the real world (ie. working world, not cushy college) most people do actually come prepared - ie. sambos, fruit, yogurt, etc...

In any case, it's far healthier, cheaper, quicker, handier....

• Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Only 911 open on a Sunday was the bane of my existence during exams.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

cast_iron wrote:
    I know it's nice to be able to buy food in college, but in the real world (ie. working world, not cushy college) most people do actually come prepared - ie. sambos, fruit, yogurt, etc...

In the real world (i.e. cushy college complete with loans et al) some of us live on this campus. Think about it.

Preparing food is not quicker than buying ready made food.
    Its not handier either.
    Whether its healtier isnt universal as what some ppl cook could kill you ;)!

The only thing it is, is cheaper, on the face of it.
    Sandwhich €3, Roll €3.50 Student special €3.60, Dinner on campus = €5

Raw materials of cooking €3 + 1hr + effort

Whether its worth it boils down to what value do you put on basically an hour of your life when you are stressed about exams, and your current finances.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

911 is the pits. the food is the dregs of a simon community soup kitchen, for which you pay vast sums. the doughnuts are acceptable but you cant be eating them too regularly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭cast_iron

Blush_01 wrote:
    In the real world (i.e. cushy college complete with loans et al) some of us live on this campus. Think about it.
    I did, but I still don't fully understand what you mean.:confused: I only moved off campus recently myself.
    I've been in the exact situation as your quote - brackets and all - but I'm not sure how that hinders people from making their own food and bringing it with them to study. Certainly never bothered me much.

And Redeye, 10 mins making a couple of sambos or 10 mins queuing up for one (well, what you hope is a sandwich - 911:eek: )?
    Granted, cooking then eating and washing up does take longer (and more to the point - is a pain in the ass).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

If my point was painted on an elephant's rear and paraded in front of you, you'd still miss it. I'm quitting while I'm ahead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

cast_iron wrote:

Hmm yes after a 6 hour stint in the library thats just what I want a yogurt and fruit!Thats rabbit food!I for one am always starving when Im studying and you need a hot meal in order to keep you going throughout the rest of the day. The only place in the vicinity of UCD to get something hot and substantial to eat after 7.30 on friday evening and up until 10 on a monday morning is the montrose hotel. When your studying you dont have time to walk all the way over there and back again and the meals are a good 10 euro. Eating well is paramount when your studying for exams yet its so difficult not to eat crap when your studying in Belfield.

Advertisement