Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sepp Blatters propses Feb to November league.

• 04-12-2006 7:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭

Boing!
    Fifa president Sepp Blatter has proposed ending the traditional summer break in European club football and moving the season to a February to November schedule.

"I've recently suggested to the clubs that they play through the summer and base the season on a calendar year," Blatter, the head of world soccer's governing body, said in an interview with Kicker today. "The season should run from the end of February to the end of November. Then there would be enough recovery time for the players and you could play three-week blocks of (international) qualifiers.

Mike.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

"The idea is supported by the major European clubs."

And the other clubs don't matter, Sepp? Ridiculous idea, it has worked in Ireland but there is no need to change it everywhere. How is this guy in charge of the World Governing Body?

The foreigners rule is even worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Dublin's Finest

And what happens when there are international competitions every two years? Everything would be in chaos. Blatter has a habit of coming out with this kind of reformist rubbish every now and then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

i actually agree with Sepp Blatter on this one

but what of the World Cup. surely couldnt be held in Europe during the winter months what with the weather being **** and all. because of this i think it should stay as it is

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,723 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Football has never been as popular as it is now, but Blatter seams to be on a mission to make wholesale changes to the game before he is put out to graze .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Club football does need to move to a uniform international calendar, that is obvious. Where does he see international tournaments fitting in? The World Cup needs a month to be played and time either side for preparation and recupperation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

No bloody way Sepp.

There is absolutely nothing more satisfying than being in a pub on St Stephens day with your buddies watching a live game followed by checking the videprinter to see if your Christmas Coupon has come up trumps.

Leave Pigheads St Stephens Day alone Blatter!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭padser

And what happens when there are international competitions every two years? Everything would be in chaos. Blatter has a habit of coming out with this kind of reformist rubbish every now and then.

The international tournaments would occur in years where there are no international qualifiers to be played. Thus you could use say 2 of the 'international' blocks at a week and a half each plus start a week earlier in those weeks to get 4 weeks for world cup action. Only 30 players, (60/70) if you count the semi finals, will be involved in the latter stages of the competitions anyway. Spread those players between the 4/5 big leagues, and the 20 or so biggest clubs and its not a problem starting straight back into football the week after the world cup.

It might also solve the problem of the sh1t world cups recently, with players being too tired.

That said Pighead, actually makes a decent point, I like the chirstmas matches myself as well.

But international qualifiers happen every year. There was only a month and a half or so break between the WC and the start of the EC qualifiers. The same thing happens after Euros only vice versa.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

What a stupid idea. Re-arranging the football calender won't reduce the number of fixtures which is what's needed. Scrapping pointless international friendlies and mickey mouse competitions like the Confederations Cup would.

Also, I can't see many fans being too happy about making the adjustment to summer football. The English tradition of winter football would be sorely missed.

As for the limited number of foreigners rule he's trying to introduce... :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

padser wrote:

It might also solve the problem of the sh1t world cups recently, with players being too tired.

But it might also cause the problem of crap 2nd half to seasons.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

thebaz wrote:
    Football has never been as popular as it is now,

Some strange quote given attendances are on the way down for the past couple of seasons. Football has hit saturation point on a European scale and something is needed to change it. While I'm not in favour of all leagues being moved to the summer I do think the prem could alter the winter. The Eircom league changed to summer so it would avoid for large parts going head to head with the EPL and largly its worked. This would not suit us if the EPL changed to summer.

The question comes down to what the FA want in terms of international success. Do they want the traditional body breaking christmas rota or do they want England to have a shot at a WC or Euro Champs? If they want to stop all the hype and actually do something at a championship then they need to cut the teams in the PL and break for winter. I'm all in favour of dumping the christmas period and having the winter break. It boils down to better football in the latter part of the campaign as the players are fresher and better prepaired. I know most people will cry heresy at this but personally I'd rather think for the better of the sport rather than my own comfort of a selection box and raging hangover tradition of post christmas day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

I can't help thinking this is another idea thought up to help bolster Sepp Blatter's already sizeable bank balance.

If Sepp Blatter walked away from FIFA today, he would not be missed in the slightest.

I can't help thinking this is another idea thought up to help bolster Sepp Blatter's already sizeable bank balance.

If Sepp Blatter walked away from FIFA today, he would not be missed in the slightest.

When are the next FIFA elections??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

When are the next FIFA elections??

Next year, although his election will be based on TV rights and sponsorship deals more then his ability to manage the worlds game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

The Feb-Nov suggestion wouldnt work in major leagues such as Italy and Spain, as its just far too hot, and its also too warm in July and August in Germany, and arguably England as well.

This is a non-runner imo.

There are valid cases for countries holding their leagues from Feb-Nov such as northern countries like Sweden and Russia, and -ahem, some think so for Ireland as well.

I'm in two minds on the latter. A summer league in Ireland is helpful in some respects, but the league loses out in other ways, and its not as if its freezing here. I think if grounds were bigger and bowl-like, all covered, then a winter league would be a very obvious option. Given the lack of such stadiums and gale force winds and the inevitable rain, there will be occasions where its hard to enjoy the football. A summer league is also easy for us to hold as it never gets too hot.

Blatter is not a sage. Lets wait for Platini's thought on this.

Redspider

Advertisement