Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Midi problem

Options
  • 04-12-2006 7:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16

I'm currently messing around with garage band until i can afford some better software. The volume of the sound is much louder if i use musical typing rather than my midi controller(yamaha psr a3). Does anyone know why this might be happening and if there is something i can do to get the same reponse from my contoller??? I'm using a presonus firepod interface which might be relavant.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,093 ✭✭✭TelePaul

Hmmm as well as volume, midi will also take into account 'velocity', i.e how hard a note is struck which will have a direct impact upon how loud it is. I would check your steeings on your midi controller, theres more than likely a way of programming velocity. Can I ask where you bought the Firepod?

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭eddyc

Yeah you midi controller would have a velocity sensitivity on each key as this is standard midi spec, basically its degrees of loudness from 0 to 127 depending on how hard you hit the key , however on a normal computer keyboard there are only 2 positions off and on, so i guess what garage band is doing is that when you hit the key on the computer keyboard it registers it as 127 velocity units.
    Maybe on your midi controller you have an option to ignore note velocity and can set it to a constant, if you have the manual it should tell you there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭frobisher

You could also have inadvertantly set the volume/velocity slider on your keyboard too low while playing. What make and model of keyboard is it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

restin84 wrote:
    I'm currently messing around with garage band until i can afford some better software. The volume of the sound is much louder if i use musical typing rather than my midi controller(yamaha psr a3). Does anyone know why this might be happening and if there is something i can do to get the same reponse from my contoller??? I'm using a presonus firepod interface which might be relavant.

just record the midi info the way it is, and adjust the velocity manually

the keyboard will be playing at a velocity of 127, while the controller will be playing at whatever you play. dont underestimate the value of velocity tho

my advice to you: if you want the notes louder, play the keys harder

• Registered Users Posts: 4,093 ✭✭✭TelePaul

Helix's advice is good...though I think your song will benefit alot from individual editing of each note.

• Advertisement

When you have all the parts recorded you could just hit ctrl+a and then adjust the velcoty parameter will which will change all notes universally without changing the relative dynamics so the feel will still be the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 restin84

I bought the firepod from sam ash

restin84 wrote:
    I bought the firepod from sam ash

Maybe when you've used it a bit you could make a thread about what it's like to work with?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 restin84

sure haha. i'm a newbie though. so it might take awhile. learning slowly...but surely

Advertisement