Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Photoshop Q

Options
  • 04-12-2006 7:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭

Hey all,

Quick Photoshop question.

Im using Photoshop CS and for the life of me i cant remember how to create the photo below, keeping the car in its original colour and everything else black and white.

Cheers.

Redbmw.jpg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 james--s

create new layer of whole pic, select car using magic wand/magnetic lasso etc, convert to layer, desaturate first layer. i think

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

An easier (better?) method is :

1. Make a dublicate layer of the image.
    2. Hit the 'QuickMask' button (one of two buttons just below the colour picker on the toolbar)
    3. Simply use a paintbrush to colour over the car.
    4. Switch back to 'normal' mode (the other button below the colour picker).
    5. You'll now have a mask (selection) of whatever you coloured in. You can switch back and forth between quick mask and normal mode until you get it just right.
    6. When you get what you want, hit the 'Add Layer Mask' button at the bottom of the layers dialog box to create a layer mask.
    7. Desaturate as required.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

easier method again (especially for images like the red car example)
    Duplicate your layer.
    Press CTRL+U to open colour saturation, desaturate every colour on the top layer except red (or the colour you want to keep) by picking them from the EDIT combo box. Then add a layer mask and "paint back" in any problem areas. History brush could be used here either.

I remember a tip on photoshop TV awhile ago where they used a channel to create a layer mask or selection, can sometimes be more useful that selecting by hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

james--s wrote:
    create new layer of whole pic, select car using magic wand/magnetic lasso etc, convert to layer, desaturate first layer. i think
    I always used the long bar lassoo thing, forget its name, the magnetic lassoo wasn't giving me some of the selections I thought it would. Even when changing the sensitivity of it. Maybe I never got the hang of it, like the quickmask. Though I'm sure it's helpful as I've been enjoying layer masks with gradients these days.

Hey, how about a drop shadow with 0 distance and an external glow of yellow on that car? Yeah! Rad!

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Woo! Pimp my bmw baby!

redbmwwg1.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭Paddy@CIRL

Use the pen tool for better accuracy ...

Advertisement