Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

PS workflow for printing a print

• 04-12-2006 8:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭

Love reading the PS tips but have a couple of questions. I recently got a Dslr,after a number of years with a point and shoot. I am finding it a good learning experience but i have to send a bit more time in PS to get the shot i am after, maybe i am just getting more critical.

This is what is usually do, Review all the photo's and rate them. I then only process the one's I liked or rated 3 stars or more ( i am taking alot of shots and hard to see the detail on the lcd so leave the review till in PS) Normally I crop to give a 6x4 print size that I want, then sharpen, and maybe adjust the levels.

Standard Workflow Summary
    ReviewCrop to 6x4, sharpen, curves, save as jpeg.

Am i missing something on my camera? or is this the norm?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭Fenster

Right now I'm planning on setting up a small print store in my site, so I'm working through prints. It's easier to create a large file and then crop down as I need to, so I' save the prints-to-be as 16 bit tiffs at 300 DPI in the full size of the raw file.

Of course that probably falls into pesudo-obsessive overkill. :|

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Valentia

Real, you should always leave sharpen until the end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭elven

Fenster wrote:
    I' save the prints-to-be as 16 bit tiffs at 300 DPI in the full size of the raw file.

You must have a whole lotta storage space for those babies...
    Of course that probably falls into pesudo-obsessive overkill.

What do you mean, pseudo? That's just plain old obsessive.

I find personally that there's a huge difference between what looks good on the web at 800px looks awful printed (and I'm not talking in terms of resolution, simply display method) and working a file up for the monitor is a *hell* of a lot easier than preparing a print, so I'd do a quick one for flickr, save it at 1000px longest side, then if I decide I want to print it I'd do a full size one and save in PSD because inevitably there will be something in the print I want to tweak, and if I don't have all the layers still intact I need to start from scratch. :(

hmmm, maybe I should be the one wondering if it's overkill....?

For holiday shots from jpg rather than raw though - I'd say levels/curves, hue/saturation, crop, resize for 6x4 then as valentia says sharpen last of all. Saving that as a high res jpg would do no harm - tiff would be overkill I'd think?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 379 ✭✭digitalbeginner

Hi elven,

Adobe have just released a series of Technical Briefs around various aspects of Photoshop. This one is about preparing shots for mainly brochure printing, but some aspects may be of interest to you. The link is not working as I write this, although it was fine last night when I downloaded it. If it's still not working later I'll gladly put it up on my site for download (it's 7.2mb). Anyway here it is: http://www.adobe.com/digitalimag/pdfs/phscs2ip_reproprep.pdf

Advertisement