Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problems with Perlico wireless

Options
  • 04-12-2006 8:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,754 ✭✭✭

I'm trying to open up sone ports on my friends router. When I log into the router, it only gives me the system status.There are no network or security settings visible. I've had a look on portforward.com and the interface is the exact same, only I dont have the menu bar on the left hand side of the homepage.is this a Perlico security measure? Does anyone know a way around it or a way to manually access the settings via a url?

BTW, the modem is a Zyxel P-660HW-D1.

ta

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

BB forum tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭Redisle

so the interface is the same as the one here

but without all the settings?? maybe perlico flashed with different firmware to prevent you changing these settings?? If you cant change any settings you might be better off just buying a new modem/router.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

contact perlico support, this should just be a routine query for them .

tell us how it goes

• Registered Users Posts: 7,754 ✭✭✭ianmc38

ab_cork wrote:
    so the interface is the same as the one here

but without all the settings?? maybe perlico flashed with different firmware to prevent you changing these settings?? If you cant change any settings you might be better off just buying a new modem/router.

Yeah that interface without the menu bar on the left hand side. I had a feeling they provided a flashed router alright, as I've heard a of a few proivders doing that recently.

Will update tomo.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,754 ✭✭✭ianmc38

Well I rang Perlico today. There useful response was that they don't deal with these issues. Neither do their second level support.

Conversation.

Me: So how am I meant to forward ports?
    Support: Oh you need to get it setup on your computer.
    Me: Excuse me? Get what setup? Do you even know what I'm talking about?
    Support: Sorry but we just do support for modem installations.
    Me: So you're telling me there is noone in support in your company who is able to deal with this problem.?
    Support: Sorry but we never did training to support this issue
    Me: Well that's fair enough so who should I contact to get this sorted?
    Support: Sorry we only have us and second level support. They don't know how to do it either
    Me: So you're telling me that noone in your company can provide support for the routers you supply?
    Support: No. I didn't say that.
    Me: Well could I speak to one of the people that can answer my questions
    Support: Hang on one minute.
    Me: OK

Support (5 minutes later): Sorry we don't support what you're requesting
    Me: Well that's not good enough. Put me onto a supervisor or higher level support
    Support: I can't do that
    Me: well i won't be getting off the phone until I've received a solution to this problem
    Support: Well there's noone I can put you onto
    Me: You can put me onto someone who knows how to access an extremely basic setting on the routers your company supplies for broadband. I need open ports for various applications that i use as part of my work. Without port forwarding your services are useless for me. Please put me through to your manager so that I can speak to them regarding this issue
    Support: Hold on, I'll put you through to 2nd level support.

I then had a 10 minute conversation with 2nd level support. Some terms he'd never heard of:

"Port forwarding"
    "NAT settings"
    "Pinholing"
    "Firmware"

His final solution was an inspirational master reset on the router. Guess what? It did fúck all. Who is hiring these incompetent muppets to work as 2nd level support in their companies? It's an absolute shambles. 2nd level support for a broadband company has never heard of port forwarding. FFS. MORONS.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Well the problem is a crap knowledge base and they aren't training their people properly.

Have you tried looking up the router manufacturers homepage to see if there is firmware there you can install on it or if there is a support forum where they might be able to help you?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Thats pretty crap support , 95% of dsl routers can support port forwarding or else they forward all ports by default , mapped properly, if the firewall is off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭Redisle

I found the firmware for that router if you want to reflash it. it is here

yours is the forth one on the list i beleive...this might not be the problem but its always worth a shot right??

• Registered Users Posts: 16,050 ✭✭✭✭event

the problem is the password

in the default is user, if you enter this it wont let you change anything

instead, when you log in, take out the dots and put in 1234

then click log in

then select the advanced setup and you will see the bar on the left

Advertisement