Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

saxo - trouble starting

Options
  • 04-12-2006 10:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,010 ✭✭✭

Hi All

A friend of mine has a 2000 Citroen Saxoi 1.1cc.

He has found in the mornings when he turns the key there is only a buzzing noise.The engine does not turn at all. Then after 3 or 4 attempts of turning the ignition it starts staright away

Then for the rest of the day it starts away as normal

Any advise what could be causing this?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭mickjohnlong

i say it need a new battery

• Registered Users Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭conZ

I have the same problem.

I've a '99 Peugeot 106 1.6 (The 106 and Saxo are almost exactly the same car with a different badge).

It started about a month ago, probably more. It happened first of all, in the cold mornings I noticed. Of late though, it's started happening during the day.
    Also, the automatic sunroof is pretty crocked since it's been happening. Usually one touch of the button tilts the sunroof up, and a second touch opens it fully. Now, you've to hold it to open it and it doesn't close when I get out of the car.

I'd open the car in the mornings, sometimes the engine would start and keep beeping until the car is warm, then I turn it off, hit the alarm fob and start her up again... No beeping.

Other mornings, I've to jump or push start it. Shockingly annoying.
    I'ts even stopped twice after parking up to hop into a shop for two minutes.
    Engine just wouldn't start, have to jump start it on the side of a one way street.

Haven't had the time to bring it to Peugeot in yet hopefully tomorrow, college depending. I'll post back here tomorrow if I do. Could well be the battery though I reckon. Checking the website there, they're doing batteries for like €60. Few good offers there also.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭greglo23

if the battery was loosing charge then it normally would'nt start at all so i would suspect bad connections. the first thing you should check is the battery connections. if they are covered in what looks like green mould you wil need to give them a good clean. mix up some baking soda with water into a paste and cover the connections with it. leave it for about half an hour and wash it off with water. this will clean off the acid based corrosion as baking soda is alkaline based and one neutralises the other. loosen the connectors and rub some vaseline on the battery poles and the connectors and retighten.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,010 ✭✭✭Barr

i say it need a new battery

the batterys only a couple of months old so that should be ok
    have the same problem.

I've a '99 Peugeot 106 1.6 (The 106 and Saxo are almost exactly the same car with a different badge).

It started about a month ago, probably more. It happened first of all, in the cold mornings I noticed. Of late though, it's started happening during the day.
    Also, the automatic sunroof is pretty crocked since it's been happening. Usually one touch of the button tilts the sunroof up, and a second touch opens it fully. Now, you've to hold it to open it and it doesn't close when I get out of the car.

I'd open the car in the mornings, sometimes the engine would start and keep beeping until the car is warm, then I turn it off, hit the alarm fob and start her up again... No beeping.

Other mornings, I've to jump or push start it. Shockingly annoying.
    I'ts even stopped twice after parking up to hop into a shop for two minutes.
    Engine just wouldn't start, have to jump start it on the side of a one way street.

Haven't had the time to bring it to Peugeot in yet hopefully tomorrow, college depending. I'll post back here tomorrow if I do. Could well be the battery though I reckon. Checking the website there, they're doing batteries for like €60. Few good offers there also.

Luckily my friends is'nt at this stage (yet) Let me know how you get on eitherway
    if the battery was loosing charge then it normally would'nt start at all so i would suspect bad connections. the first thing you should check is the battery connections. if they are covered in what looks like green mould you wil need to give them a good clean. mix up some baking soda with water into a paste and cover the connections with it. leave it for about half an hour and wash it off with water. this will clean off the acid based corrosion as baking soda is alkaline based and one neutralises the other. loosen the connectors and rub some vaseline on the battery poles and the connectors and retighten.

The connections looks ok on the battery.I checked it all seems clean and covered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭johncm

did you try the ignition switch. if its nothing to do with the battery thats what i would look at next.

• Advertisement
Advertisement