Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bloody wind and rain!

Options
  • 04-12-2006 10:52pm
    Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,483 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Just home after cycling from across town, what is it about the wind and rain that makes motorists drive faster and closer when your cycling?

If it isn't hard enough to stop myself from going out infront of a car etc with a strong crosswind, and avoiding deep potholes that are hard to make out because their full of water, then people feel the need to drive even closer then usual. :confused:

and then there's the being soaking wet bit that even good raingear doesn't seem to stop :(

/rant over

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

doesnt bother me, i have just accepted than rain= getting wet and other road users= stupid ignorant bastards.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Coming home a couple of hours ago going through Clonskeagh, píssing rain, my rear tube exploded. Big BANG. That's never happened before, generally it's a pfft. So there you go - could be worse!

I am so going back to Armadillos.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 984 ✭✭✭cozmik

Cabaal wrote:
    ....and then there's the being soaking wet bit that even good raingear doesn't seem to stop :(

/rant over
    hi Cabaal

Have a look at some regatta raingear, I picked up a set in argos and it keeps me very dry,I've had a few close calls with idiot drivers and you're right it does seem worse in the rain but thankfully most drivers that pass me give plenty of room :)

regards

cozmik

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭tywy

pedestrians become more reckless aswell, they walk out without looking and such more than usual, they're harder to dodge on your bike in the rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭pan

I have to agree!
    I commute with the bike during the week and have the car for shopping runs and the reason drivers are alittle more dangerous is that visibility in the car is reduced when it's raining.
    You've got rain drop on side mirrors and steamed up windows etc..
    Also people on foot have there head hidden under hoody's/hats/umbrallas

So pay extra attention when it rain!! Even slow down a bit.

pan

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭gzoladz

I cycle every day from Phibsboro to the IFSC and the most stresfull part is from Connolly to the IFSC square area.
    It is full of idiots getting off the train and the Luas to sleepy to look before crossing but awake enough to text while they do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

pan wrote:
    So pay extra attention when it rain!! Even slow down a bit.

Slow down, what a ridiculous notion! :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,483 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I'd like to add broken glass to my rant, bloody loads of it around the roads this morning and a few patches I didn't see till I was right ontop of it.

Hoping I don't have any punchures later :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

Cabaal wrote:
    I'd like to add broken glass to my rant, bloody loads of it around the roads this morning and a few patches I didn't see till I was right ontop of it.

Hoping I don't have any punchures later :(

Arron KEy cycle lane is full of glass ! tg have not got a puncture yet!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

got a poxy flat there yesterday, its always tiny pieces of glass that get me arrgh!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

Well, Im a fraud, I put the bike in hibernation for the winter, well I started getting a lift to work, so that didnt help, yeah weather sucks

Advertisement