Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Am i actually in an O2 contract?

• 05-12-2006 12:34am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭

Im into my 3rd year of an O2 bill phone contract. Im 6months into the 3rd yr. I want to get off the o2 bill as i find it no longer value for my needs and maybe port to meteor billpay or just to O2 Pay as you go even.

Ill have to buy the remaining 6months of the contract out though,,, OR DO I? I signed a contract initially at the start of the 1st contract yr, but for the 2nd and 3rd contract yrs a person from O2 rang me and asked me i`d like to renew, i obviously said yes but i never signed anything. So have i a get out clause here?

Cheers for the help and advice in my other thread too.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,244 ✭✭✭drdre

when was the last time you got an upgrade, if you got an upgrade then you are in a contract for 12 months from when you got the phone.
    you can buy out your contract if you want to finish early.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

If you've changed your price plan or upgraded in the last 12 months, you're proberly in contract. If not you're proberly out of it. Ring them up and ask is the best option.

What do you mean they rang and asked if you'd like to renew? Seems a bit odd?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,244 ✭✭✭drdre

ciaranfo wrote:
    If you've changed your price plan or upgraded in the last 12 months, you're proberly in contract. If not you're proberly out of it. Ring them up and ask is the best option.

Ciaranfo, i donot think the price plan changing makes a different.its mainly upgrade of a phone because you sign a contract whereas when you change a plan you are not signing a contract.

I does make a difference drdre, depending on what sort of price plan change it was. Especially if they called him and upgraded him to one of the new price plans, then he'd be in another 12 month contract .. and then if they offered him some special deal he could be in an 18month or 24month contract.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 619 ✭✭✭krpc

ciaranfo wrote:

I've heard of that happening before. I think it is considered to be a verbal agreement rather than a written one although in the cases I came across before the network in question did send out a contract to be signed and posted back. I assume it extends the existing contract for a further 12 months. I am not sure how it works to be honest.

Otherwise, if you have not upgraded nor signed a contract in the last 12 / 18 months, depending on the network of course, your contract is month to month, so once you find out the above, you just need to give your network notice of your intent to terminate the contract in writing (I don't think they allow you to do it over the phone).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Rudolph Claus

I havnt gotten an upgrade in over a year and a half i reckon. Definitely over a year ago.I never changed price plan during the duration of my bill phone.
    I mean that in the 12th month of my yearly contract an O2 cust services or someone rang me and asked me if i`d like to stay with them for another year. They also gave me a 12% discount on the rental for 3months i think.

So it looks like im not in contract? Or maybe i am by verbal agreement but not written? I could just say my friend had the loan of my fone the day they rang me to extend the contract and it wasnt me that agreed. Hmmmm!

Im sick of O2`s reception also. I hear meteor are apparently better than O2 with reception these days. Few people have said so.

If they didn't specify that you were entering another 12 months then you're not in contract. You can only enter into a contract (even verbal) if you've bene told you're doing so (from the business studies I remember).

Re: lying about your mate ... don't even bother! They'll have the call recorded anyway.

Ring them and ask, simple as.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 619 ✭✭✭krpc

Nuttzy wrote:
    I havnt gotten an upgrade in over a year and a half i reckon. Definitely over a year ago.I never changed price plan during the duration of my bill phone.

I mean that in the 12th month of my yearly contract an O2 cust services or someone rang me and asked me if i`d like to stay with them for another year. They also gave me a 12% discount on the rental for 3months i think.

So it looks like im not in contract? Or maybe i am by verbal agreement but not written? I could just say my friend had the loan of my fone the day they rang me to extend the contract and it wasnt me that agreed. Hmmmm!

Im sick of O2`s reception also. I hear meteor are apparently better than O2 with reception these days. Few people have said so.

I prefer O2 over the other networks. I'll mention that first. However, that said, in the last week or two I have been having a lot of problems with coverage, dropped calls etc .,. This in addition to the ongoing O2.ie website problem has resulted in me calling their customer care numerous times. I've been on Meteor and Vodafone but still prefer O2 and hope that their current problems get sorted soon.

Based on what you have said above, I do believe you are in contract. There is an O2 offer at the moment that you can extend your current contract to 18 months and avail of a discount on certain services (line rental, texts etc). This would therefore be considered as contractually binding I believe. I'm sure it could be argued you were mislead and not fully informed of exactly what you were getting yourself into. I'm not sure you'd manage to get away with saying your friend did it for you as most networks go through some identify checks when you call although if they knew you well enough it would pretty easy to get around.

Interesting points ye make.
    I'm not sure you'd manage to get away with saying your friend did it for you as most networks go through some identify checks when you call although if they knew you well enough it would pretty easy to get around.
    They rang me and as far as i recall they didnt ask me any security checks, just was i Mr X.

I just remembered, i wasnt old enough to get a bill fone when i was signing up 3yrs ago and so i put the fone in my dads name but the direct debit on my details. Ive never transferred the fone into my name since turning 21. I wonder if this will have any bearing, doubt it will.

I havent signed anything since the original contract forms, they foned me asking me if i`d like to renew after year1 and year2.

I want to keep my O2 number. I`d like to stay with O2 but they`re just too expensive, i have no cheap time to make calls, like the 1cent wkends on PAYG and the off peak 15c nightowl. I think i pay 30c and 15c on calls. My bills are only E30a month so i prob shouldnt be even on a ill fone. PAYG would do rightly.

You won't be able to take the phone to another network or cancel the contract if it's not in your name then. Ask your Dad to ring up and switch you to prepay, then register it in your details and do as you wish.

And you wouldn't have signed any original contract forms short of a direct debit .. not if it wasn't in your name ...

• Advertisement

Ask your Dad to ring up and switch you to prepay
    But we`d have to buy out the remaining 6months of the contract then so? I ant to avoid doing that as it wouldnt pay me. I`d be better off waiting till them 6months are up and not renewing.

Just ask O2 what your options are. "How much would it cost to swtich to prepay?"

Hell, ring up now and ask. 1909 - they're 24hour. See what happens.

ciaranfo wrote:
    Just ask O2 what your options are. "How much would it cost to swtich to prepay?"

Hell, ring up now and ask. 1909 - they're 24hour. See what happens.
    Yeah, ill give them a ring and get my options. I didnt know 1909 is 24hr :eek: Poor people, ill ring tomorrow at a more socialible hour.

Cheers for all the replies.

Nonsense ... you're up now, ring them now. It's 24hour for a reason! They'll also have more time for you now... (not that they don't during the day ... bu you know ..)

Advertisement