Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another GFX card question.

Options
  • 05-12-2006 8:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭

I've got a P4 3GHz standard Dell desktop with 1G ram and a 128MB gfx card (ATI I think, standard Dell jobby anyway).

I want to upgrade the gfx card to get better FPS and performance in some online games (DoD and CStrike type of thing).

Thanks to this board I was able to figure out that I have a PCI-Express x16 motherboard, so I've been scouting dabs.com for potential purchases. I'm still confused.

What's the difference between this card and this card? There's a £30 ish price difference.

Move up to 512MB cards and this one is only another £15 extra? Why exactly?

Is Sapphire Tech that much better?
    Why is this Sapphire card available for such a low low price?

Ideally I'd like to spend 150-200euro on a card at a maximum so it'd be great if someone could suggest.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

The X1950Pro is not as good as the X1950XT. Still a fine card though and would easily run CS:S or DOD at maxed out settings

The X1600Pro is also an ok card and much cheaper but not a patch on either of the X1950 variants. You never said what card was in your Dell but if its the X800se that came with alot of 8400's then the X1600Pro is hardly an upgrade at all. If your card is the X300 or X600 then it would be a nice improvement alright but again its merely an 'ok' card, nothing special and very budget orientated. A good compromise would be a 7600GT or a X1600XT - both great performers and both cheaper then the X1950 line.

Advertisement