Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anal About A Car Parking Space?

Options
  • 05-12-2006 9:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 14,989 ✭✭✭✭

Hey Folks,

I live in an apartment complex in the city centre. The apartment comes with a car parking space which is numbered the same as your apartment. I don't have a car myself so it's not much use to me, but several of my mates do.
    The issue is that some cnut keeps parking their car in the space for our apartment. It bothers me because they never called and asked, they just keep parking there. I've gone over and left two notes on seperate occasions asking them not to park there car there as from time to time I do need the space. They've stopped each time for one day but then they're back parking there.

I don't mean to be anal about the thing as I don't have a car but it's annoying when friends call around and they don't have somewhere to park. There is a sign inside the complex for clampers, is it possible to call these guys or do I need to go through the useless property managers for this?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Get yourself something like this...

http://www.parkingcontrol.co.uk/shop_barriers-posts.asp?gclid=CMXG57Hz-ogCFQrVXgodUla-pg

I use a similar one, it saves a lot of face to face grief.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Heh, anal. Seriously though I'd continue with the softly softly approach, maybe knock in and speak to them personally, explaining things. If you go down the route of getting the clampers around, it will cause a lot of ill feeling and bad will, something you really don't want with your neighbours.

If, however, after speaking to them, they continue to park there then you have little other choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,989 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

The problem is there's over a 100 different apartments, I have no idea who it is. It could be anyone!! I would continue with the softly softly approach but it doesn't seem to have had much success. I've tried keeping an eye out on the space as I can see it from the bedroom of the apartment, but I have yet to see the person come and go, they seem to keep unusual hours.

Hagar wrote:
    Get yourself something like this...

http://www.parkingcontrol.co.uk/shop_barriers-posts.asp?gclid=CMXG57Hz-ogCFQrVXgodUla-pg

I use a similar one, it saves a lot of face to face grief.

Nice idea Hagar, not 100% the management company would like it though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

buy a banger of motorbike from the buy and sell.
    park it so a car cant get in to the space.
    then if a mate needs to use it, push the bike up against the wall.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Where I live almost everyone uses them. There is no problem with the management company, after all you are just securing what is rightfully yours. It's much simpler than going after each "parker" one at a time and does actually make relations with the neighbours much simpler.

Remember the old saying "Good fences make good neighbours"

• Registered Users Posts: 24,992 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Employ a skanger to hang around with a screwdriver. :eek:

On a serious note, I had a similar problem with a reserved car park space. I would arrive home from work to find nowhere to park. A visitor to the place was using my spot. Luckily, I was able to park in such a way that I blocked his exit without upsetting anyone else. I did that a few times and went to the pub for a few hours. The message got through. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭i71jskz5xu42pb

http://www.m90.org/gallery/image/parking%20spot.jpg

Seriously though, leave a note saying they'll be clamped next time (write down the reg) and call the clamper's next time around.
    If you've left notes already the guy obviously has no respect for you so I would not worry about bad feelings.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭00112984

You should borrow a friend's car and park it in such a way that it blocks the other car in for 3 or 4 days.

One thing to look out for though- are you renting or do you own the property? The reason I ask is that I own an apartment is a city centre complex which has a parking space. My space does not correspond with my apartment door number (eg, I live in, say, apt #45 and my parking space is #12). If you are renting, it might be worth having a look at the lease to make sure the space you think comes with your apartment really is the right one.

I am renting and the space does come with the apartment and is numbered as such. Thanks for the idea's and comments so far.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Do you know someone who is going abroad for a while, offer them free parking so. That way the space is used and nobody can park there :D

That knob end will happily park in someone elses space so call the clampers on him then.

Sponge Bob wrote:
    That knob end will happily park in someone elses space so call the clampers on him then.

Indeed he will. Each night after I left them a note they parked in the space opposite. The person who normally occupies that space drives a Merc, wonder what they did? The area could be better so doubt they were too keen about on street parking.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,397 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Required: One newspaper, one concrete block.

Place newspaper on car, place concrete block on newspaper.

Abuser will have second doubts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭00112984

eo980 wrote:
    Indeed he will. Each night after I left them a note they parked in the space opposite.

Is there a communal area in the complex where you can out up a notice? Something like-
    Can the owners of the red Punto reg 00-D-12345 please refrain from parking in space no. 12 as this space is needed by the owners.

That might embarrass them into getting their own bloody space.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭dame

Could you get some of those incredubly sticky big stickers, I'm thinking something like the Iarnrod Eireann "Please Refrain Frm Parking In This Area" stickers. They stick so hard you have to remove them with paraffin.

I'd say just get big plain stickers and stick them on the rear door windows. Culprit should get the message.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭ronbyrne2005

get a few cheap traffic cones with "reserved for apt X" on them. Leave them blocking the space.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 779 ✭✭✭homeOwner

If you apartment complex has clampers then call them , simple as that. The management company pays a fee to the clamping company anyway (in addition to the money they get for actually removing the clamp) so you might as well use it.

Anal?

That would drive me NUTS

Funny thing is, if it were mine and someone asked I would have no difficulty. It's the grab all attitude that sucks. I'd do the 'leaving vehicle in front and behind' trick andlet him stew for a day or two. Leave a note in one telling where to contact you, in case he rings the gardai.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭sk8board

Be careful about the agressive moves, unless you're prepared to play these guys at their own game. Its easy for us all to write about it here; doing it is different.
    I used to rent a place close to Croke Park (back in the day), and we had unbelievable trouble keeping the space free on the match days, especially if the people in our place with cars were out for the day. It got to the stage that we used to get the Garda at the end of the street's mobile number each day (this is what they recommended), and even resorted to sitting out in our deckchairs on the side of the road drinking tea! Some days things got very messy (depending on which county was playing ;) ) but it was a house of 6 lads, so these friendly 'exchanges' didn't last long.

back on topic:
    I for one, wouldn't park my car behind this fella to block him in; I'd be more worried that my OWN car would be there the following morning! (Remember, this guy couldn't care less what you think)

What I'd do:
    Leave one more message on the window saying that the VERY NEXT TIME the car was parked in your spot, that you would call the clampers. Simple, effective, and if they persist, then you feel much better about clamping them.

Would like to hear how this one pan's out.

p.s. what kind of car is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Write another note and say that the car owner will find four flat tyres the next timehe parks there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Stick with the clampers, rather than any threatening behaviour, given that he could choose to report such threats to the Gardai and it would be relatively easy to trace the threats back to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭Cheese Princess

Screw them! Ring the clampers now!! You've been nice about it for long enough - why should you waste time or money trying to block the space?
    I live in Temple Bar and don't have an allocated space so I have to pay every month to rent a space in a carpark two blocks away - they should have to do the same!!! That would drive me insane!!! :mad:

• Subscribers Posts: 16,586 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

i would keep it up with the notes and try and speak to them, clamping is a last resort. In the development I lived in a clamping war broke out, someone was clamped who parked in someone elses spot after theirs was taken. They got that guy clamped then too, etc etc etc . They could get you/ your friends clamped for parking in your own spot. The clampers don't care they just clamp who they are told to..

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭delop

Jebus lads relax, the guy has to live there....

How about this...

The clampers sent me a letter saying that the believe that a 3rd party is parking in my space, they have mentoned that this is happening to other Flat owners and its goign to create a problem, The have asked me to provide my car reg...

As I leave my car down the country at my parents place I dont use it much but Would be happy to allow you to use it. Would it be possible fo us to come to some rental arrangement and Ill give the clampers your reg....

You will never hear from them again...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭mel123

If you have already left notes i would defo call the clampers. They have no respect for you or ur property. I live in a complex where they have clamping in operation and if there is someone in ur spot, they will clamp them for you. 80 yo-yo's release fee, not nice. But i bet they wont park in it again :)

Advertisement