Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Wanted: Sniper

Options
  • 05-12-2006 9:37am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭

Must be willing to lie in car boot for long periods of time or hang out of windows at speed. Must have the necessary skills to accurately destroy the bulbs of any fog lamps deemed not to be suitable for the driving conditions at the time. :D

Photoshopped pictures welcome... :D:D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Ok....

Fog light time again. The last thread can only be a page or two back. Could you not have used that?

/wanders away

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Drax

Nah.... Just a little dream I had on the way to work... It will probably be a case of these threads will only stop when dumb people stop using fog lights ... I meant this thread to see if anyone had any ideas on how we stop this phenomenon. :D I reckon a few snipers near toll booths could work...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Garda enforcement would be a start :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭$Leon$

Saruman wrote:
    Garda enforcement would be a start :D

The sniper idea is a bit more realistic:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

"We can't stop people illegally using fog lights so we have decide to put a penal tax on all fog lights, whether they are used or not."
    - Official Spokesman for the Department of Transport*

* This quote may not be 100% true

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

You need a Trunk Monkey.

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭endplate

Hagar wrote:
    "We can't stop people illegally using fog lights

too right ye can't:D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Maybe we could borrow some of these?

gg12.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭overdriver

I saw an absolute muppet last night who had fogs and TINY green sidelamps on - you could hardly see them - and his car looked about 8 inches tall.
    How much visibilty could he really have? Fogs don't have any throw if they're angled right.
    It was the dark section of road from Clonee past the Ratoath turnoff on the N3.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭franksm

Was behind a twit in a green Punto heading towards Clonsilla at about 4pm yesterday. It started to rain, so I saw her put on her windscreen wipers, then the headlamps, then the rear fogs came on. I was flashing her and beeping my horn and... all sorts of gesticulations all the way down the road.

PS. I don't mind these rants being repeated. Most threads on Boards are a rehash in some form anyway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

Thats mad.

Driving home from Naas on Sunday on the M1 a woman in a Saab with her rear fog light on, my mate n i look acrossed and it was a lady woman all dress up to the nineties.

Agr....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

Anyone who drives with their front or back foglights on when it is not foggy is showing indexperience. Keep back from them and watch they don't pull out in front of you on roundabouts, they are the ones who have been driving on the provisional for years.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Front fogs don't bother me as long as they don't have the rear ones. Then again I saw a focus in charleville a few weeks ago that had four of the big ones rally style across the bonnet. Wouldn't like to be driving in front of those!

On a related issue, exactly how expensive are headlights for an avensis? They sure are tight with the use of them around here! If they have them on they only use the parking lights. Doing 70 while overtaking in a downpour at twilight. :)

lightening wrote:
    Anyone who drives with their front or back foglights on when it is not foggy is showing indexperience. Keep back from them and watch they don't pull out in front of you on roundabouts, they are the ones who have been driving on the provisional for years.

And this fact is backed up with what hard evidence?? I've been driving for years got full license use front fogs don't pull out in front of people at roundabouts.

Might be an IBF (internet bullsh*t fact) I guess:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

kluivert wrote:
    Driving home from Naas on Sunday on the M1 a woman in a Saab with her rear fog light on, my mate n i look acrossed and it was a lady woman all dress up to the nineties.

Yeah, well at least it wasn't a lady boy. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

endplate wrote:
    And this fact is backed up with what hard evidence?? I've been driving for years got full license use front fogs don't pull out in front of people at roundabouts.

Might be an IBF (internet bullsh*t fact) I guess:D

And why exactly do you use fog lights, I'm assuming you're not Mr Foggy McFog from Foggy Street, Fog Town?

IMO fronts are used 'cos the driver thinks it "looks kewl on de Corsa, bud." Rear fogs are the above who don't know the difference "in all dem buttons loike"

endplate wrote:
    I've been driving for years got full license use front fogs

Back to school sparky, its against the law to drive with your fog lights on if its not foggy!

cjt156 wrote:
    And why exactly do you use fog lights, I'm assuming you're not Mr Foggy McFog from Foggy Street, Fog Town?

IMO fronts are used 'cos the driver thinks it "looks kewl on de Corsa, bud." Rear fogs are the above who don't know the difference "in all dem buttons loike"

ha ha your a comedian roight (nah probably not)

Can't class them as lookin kewl as you put it cos I can't see them. But my answer to your question anyways, when driving on dark country roads I don't find my dips very adequate I even adjusted them upwards to improve them (and yes they passed the NCT) and the extra illumination from the fogs is great. Now before you jump on the anti bandwagon I positioned my car in front of a wall when I adjusted my dips upwards and for the craic I checked my fogs and I found I was lucky enough to have good quality fogs. I got a straight line accross below the line of the dips. Turned dips off no light above the line but plenty below.

Hope that answers your question if it doesn't I don't really care

lightening wrote:
    Back to school sparky, its against the law to drive with your fog lights on if its not foggy!

The names endplate not sparky. That's another user, obviously you don't think your comments through fully enough before you post

endplate wrote:
    The names endplate not sparky. That's another user, obviously you don't think your comments through fully enough before you post

Well kid... your still breaking the law, back to school.

• Advertisement

lightening wrote:
    Well kid... your still breaking the law, back to school.

Well if you say so. On second thought no I don't care what you think cos you don't post facts only crap

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭mukki

factory fitted front fogs (f.f.f.f.) are fine, you can leave them on the whole time,

i suppose it just annoys people the same way you dislike lads in starlet gts with spoiler, alloys and tinted windows

them "budget pimp my ride people" people really annoy me, but i am not sure why ?????

Look tiger, its the law, if you choose to ignore it... that's your choice. I posted the fact that it is illegal to drive with your fog lights on if its not foggy. Thats not crap, its a fact, all drivers should know this.

Check it out, its in section three of the rules of the road.

lightening wrote:
    Look tiger, its the law, if you choose to ignore it... that's your choice. I posted the fact that it is illegal to drive with your fog lights on if its not foggy. Thats not crap, its a fact, all drivers should know this.

Check it out, its in section three of the rules of the road.

'tiger' probably another user but I presume you are referring to me

the bit about provisional driver jumping in front of you at roundabouts was crap. Sure even the Garda cars use their fogs in clear conditions. Get over it lightening (look I can get your name correct) I'm never gonna listen to you I do choose to ignore it cos the Garda do too anyway front fogs are no problem rears (which I never use) are

• Registered Users Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭daymobrew

endplate wrote:
    I've been driving for years got full license use front fogs
    According to S.I. 189/1963. Road Traffic (Lighting of Vehicles) Regulations fog lights must not be used when there no fog and snow is not falling.
    Where a vehicle equipped with a fog lamp within the meaning of article 44 of these Regulations is used in a public place, such lamp shall be used only in fog or while snow is falling.
    (my emphasis for clarity).

endplate wrote:
    cos the Garda do too anyway front fogs are no problem rears (which I never use) are

Never? Well son, you should really use the rear fog lights in the fog. And just because you see a Gard with fog lights on doesn't mean you have to have them on, if the Gard jumped in a river.....

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

franksm wrote:
    Was behind a twit in a green Punto heading towards Clonsilla at about 4pm yesterday.

...tut tut frank.........surely not using a camera phone whilst in control of a Motor Vehicle ....tut tut.....here, have 2 points. No, 4 for posting it......:p

That's not a '5 bonnet, btw...........

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭franksm

;-)

Don't start on me Galwegian :D

1. Was stopped at train crossing (but not long enough for me to get out and go postal on the Punani driver)
    2. It's a real camer (5MP), not a phone
    3, The '5 is resting in Belfast (I need to sort out a rusty sill) so I'm driving a '73 MG for the moment. Well spotted

• Registered Users Posts: 765 ✭✭✭6ix

I must say, that I never thought of front fog lamps as a problem. I've been drving for the last 5 years, and clocked up plenty of mileage around the country, yet I've never found front fogs in any way dazzling. That includes meeting traffic, and cars behind me. Mis-aligned dips are much more frustrating for me.

Rear fogs, are a different story, I have to pull over/overtake rather than drive behind a glaring rear fog light.

• Advertisement

6ix wrote:
    I must say, that I never thought of front fog lamps as a problem. I've been drving for the last 5 years, and clocked up plenty of mileage around the country, yet I've never found front fogs in any way dazzling. That includes meeting traffic, and cars behind me. Mis-aligned dips are much more frustrating for me.

Rear fogs, are a different story, I have to pull over/overtake rather than drive behind a glaring rear fog light.

Couldn't agree more with you rear's are the problem just some people get a bit mixed up probably those that aren't driving yet and think they are an authority on the subject

Advertisement