Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nightrider Service for Sligo!

Options
  • 05-12-2006 10:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭

In the weekender this morning, Bus Eireann have announced a Nightrider service starting from the 8th of December.
    53 Seater Buses will run on two routes Ballisodare/Collooney (€6) and Strandhill/Rosses Point (€5).
    The buses will run from 8.30pm to 4.15am.
    The full timetable is in todays weekender pg 7.

This is a great idea imo!
    Shame they don't have one that goes out as far as Grange!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

Great idea !If a tad overpriced imo especially the ones before midnight

• Registered Users Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

Compared to what you'd pay in a taxi - it's a bargain!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭il gatto

Sounds like a great idea, but I wonder about security? Doesn't sound like the most hassle free way home, stuck on a bus with thirty or forty drunk teenagers. It's only a matter of time before it's dubbed "The Vomit Comet":D

LOL.
    Surely they know there will have to be security on it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 431 ✭✭donegalman1

Are they still part of CIE, or would it be appropriate to mention their train fiascos

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 765 ✭✭✭6ix

There wont be any security I'm sure. The Nitelink in Dublin does the same thing every weekend with very few problems. In fact, the Nitelink is always good craic at Christmas, with 70-80 strangers drunkenly singing every Christmas song in the book on the way home.

Hopefully it'll turn out for the best. It'd be better than paying €16 for a taxi to Strandhill and €22 to Collooney.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭Sin scéal eile

Gillie wrote:
    Shame they don't have one that goes out as far as Grange!

I'll second that one.

Off Topic question, are you from Grange?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

Gillie wrote:
    Compared to what you'd pay in a taxi - it's a bargain!!
    Maybe so but its public transport non the less ! I mean to say that in Dublin for example you can go equivelent distances right up to 12pm for less than 2 euro , obviously post mid night its a different story.

I'll second that one.

Off Topic question, are you from Grange?

Nah. I'm a townie!
    But i know ppl from out that way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46,094 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Just seen in todays local paper that the same type of service is to run from Ballybofey - Letterkenny - Ballybofey

muffler wrote:
    Just seen in todays local paper that the same type of service is to run from Ballybofey - Letterkenny - Ballybofey

I would imagine that this wll prove very useful for you guys in Donegal?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,297 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Gillie wrote:

yeah, considering ballybofey empties at the weekend to letterkenny.
    i heard theres not even one nightclub left in the town at all.

retalivity wrote:
    yeah, considering ballybofey empties at the weekend to letterkenny.
    i heard theres not even one nightclub left in the town at all.
    There's 3 actually but no fighting at them so the crowd go to Letterkenny :D

Gillie wrote:
    Taxi prices from Letterkenny to Ballybofey late at night can cost anything from €30 - €70 depending on how busy it is and what taxi you can get. The one way fare on the bus now will be €7 (I think) so yes this service will make a huge difference

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭Sin scéal eile

Gillie wrote:
    Nah. I'm a townie!
    But i know ppl from out that way.

Ah OK, thought maybe I might know you ;)

muffler wrote:
    Taxi prices from Letterkenny to Ballybofey late at night can cost anything from €30 - €70 depending on how busy it is and what taxi you can get. The one way fare on the bus now will be €7 (I think) so yes this service will make a huge difference

That's a decent saving. Even the cheapest taxi would be over four times the price. The Strandhill/Rosses Point buses aren't as good value wise. €5 is a third the usual price. If it's three people, you'll save nothing. Even for a couple, a taxi will be a small etravagance for a quiet trip home, and being dropped to your door. Not because taxi's are cheap mind, but because the buses are pricey.

Advertisement