Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Help! My boot is leaking!

Options
  • 05-12-2006 10:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I started a thread a few pages back about repairing stone chips on my bonnett. To do so I needed to find out what type of silver my car is. A friend in the industry told me to look at a sticker under the carpet in the boot for the colour code.

Car: 2000 Golf GTI Mk IV with 80k on clock

Situation: I went out last night and pulled up the bottom of the boot under which is the spare wheel. I got the number off the sticker where he said it would be. However, I noticed that on the left hand side of the boot it was very wet. It seemed to be localised to the left hand side along the bottom. My dad came out and had a look and made the point that the wet patch was directly above the left wheel. Due to the spare wheel being in the boot there is no room for a space above the right wheel. It seemed to make sense that the damp was coming from the wheel alright. I took a look under the wheel arch and noticed that there was a bit of rust on my left shock too. I reckon it might need to be replaced.

Question:
    • How serious does this sound?
    • Has anyone had this problem before with or without a Golf?
    • Does it sound expensive to fix?
    • Am I screwed?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I'm not familiar with the Golf but some cars have small drain holes in the lower bodywork to allow water to exit. Maybe it is blocked? Some others have holes with little rubber plugs that can be removed to let water out.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

just a general remark ...

The nasty bit about water is that it will always collect at the lowest point possible. Your leak could be at the top hinge of the boot, the puddle still would be where it is now.

• Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭Chunks

peasant wrote:
    just a general remark ...

The nasty bit about water is that it will always collect at the lowest point possible. Your leak could be at the top hinge of the boot, the puddle still would be where it is now.

I don't think this is the case with me. The water isn't at the lowest point and I checked all seals and they were bone dry and intact.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Chunks wrote:
    Hi,

I started a thread a few pages back about repairing stone chips on my bonnett. To do so I needed to find out what type of silver my car is. A friend in the industry told me to look at a sticker under the carpet in the boot for the colour code.

Car: 2000 Golf GTI Mk IV with 80k on clock

Situation: I went out last night and pulled up the bottom of the boot under which is the spare wheel. I got the number off the sticker where he said it would be. However, I noticed that on the left hand side of the boot it was very wet. It seemed to be localised to the left hand side along the bottom. My dad came out and had a look and made the point that the wet patch was directly above the left wheel. Due to the spare wheel being in the boot there is no room for a space above the right wheel. It seemed to make sense that the damp was coming from the wheel alright. I took a look under the wheel arch and noticed that there was a bit of rust on my left shock too. I reckon it might need to be replaced.

Question:
    • How serious does this sound?
    • Has anyone had this problem before with or without a Golf?
    • Does it sound expensive to fix?
    • Am I screwed?
    Thanks in advance

I think that the rear windscreen wiper arm on the Golf can cause water to leak into the boot area. Also it could be one of the rear lights.

• Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭Chunks

bazz26 wrote:
    I think that the rear windscreen wiper arm on the Golf can cause water to leak into the boot area. Also it could be one of the rear lights.

Maybe but I'm pretty sure this isn't the case with mine as everything else in the boot is bone dry. I'm almost 100% sure its from beneath, i.e; its from the wheel arch/wheel

I'm getting very worried about this. Anyone know how to solve it?? :confused:

• Advertisement
Advertisement