Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xmas songs that don't stink!

Options
  • 05-12-2006 11:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭

Hey Ho Crimbo!

Okay, here's the deal. :eek: I hate Christmas music, but there must be some decent Christmas songs by decent bands.

What are they? Where are they? Help me Obi Wan...

Ta!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I Want An Alien for Christmas - Fountains of Wayne ; Everything's Going To Be Cool This Christmas - The Eels ; O Come O Come Emanuel - Belle and Sebastian ; Happy Xmas (War Is Over) - The Polyphonic Spree, and of course Run DMC's Christmas in Hollis.

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭Rockiemalt

Don't arcade fire have a christmas album with lots of christmasy songs?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Gerard_Smith

Rockiemalt wrote:
    Don't arcade fire have a christmas album with lots of christmasy songs?

Yes and no, that is a unofficial bootlegged recording of members of the band at a Christmas celebration.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭SNL

that mike oldfield song with the guitar solo cant remember name of it

• Registered Users Posts: 7,405 ✭✭✭fletch

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

fletch wrote:

not really christmas song, they just put in line to sell it then

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭Tyrrial

the eels song Christmas is going to the dogs, is really great!

Sufjan Stevens has that chrimbo album out but it's not great despite the fact he is such a great singer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 765 ✭✭✭Smurfpiss

ah but some of sufjans christmas songs arent bad. i quite like that elf boogie one.

anyways how bout also a bunch of songs that arent really about christmas but kinda sound like christmas?

sigur ros-gerdur
    sufjan stevens-chicago
    belle and sebastian-beyond the sunrise
    Arcade fire-wake up

Mainly cause of all the choirs going awwwwwwwwwhhhhhhhhh in it. but yes. they fill me with christmas spirit.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

Nightwish's version of 'We're Walking In The Air' is pretty good, Tarja's voice suits the song fairly well, plus the guitar works well for the solo too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭saintgaz

It's probably not officially a Christmas song but 'Danny Says' by The Ramones is a great tune that mentions the 'C' word.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

I know it's from another era, but this is my favourite.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rnamoi-hW4s

The Greedies (a mix of Thin Lizzy and The Sex Pistols) - A merry Jingle (a mix of Jingle Bells and We wish you...)

I used to have it on R.B.T (roundy black thing) but lost it years ago.
    I haven't been able to get it on CD or MP3 since, but came i across that U Tube video in glorious technicolor, recently.

Ahhhh, the memories........great stuff.

Ger Roe.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

Kate Bush - December will be magic again.

Everyone I've played it for thinks it's Tori Amos. Its not Tori bloody Amos, its Kate Bush.

Go, Kate, go!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,088 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

Silverfish wrote:
    Kate Bush - December will be magic again.

Everyone I've played it for thinks it's Tori Amos. Its not Tori bloody Amos, its Kate Bush.

Go, Kate, go!!

I have to agree - that's a great song.
    This was a thread that I was thinking of starting myself - I'm glad I didn't now!

I also like 2000 Miles by the Pretenders.

A tune, which would in fit in nicely into Phantom's playlist, would be One Christmas Catalogue Too Many by Captain Sensible (sometime member of the Damned.)

What about Christmas Wrapping by the Waitresses - I think there is a slightly heavier mix of that song.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Oh yeah, the Waitresses ftw!

Also the 2 Springsteen ones; Merry Christmas Baby, and, Santa Claus is Coming to Town

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Teebor

Joni Mitchell - River

• Registered Users Posts: 3,626 ✭✭✭Stargal

The new Declan O'Rourke one - Christmas Wine. That's nice and Christmassy without being mushy and/or crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Rojo

ASH's cover of I Wish It Could Be Christmas Everyday is particularly ace!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭Killaqueen!!!

Queen - Thank God It's Christmas

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭Tyrrial

Belle and Sebastian did a bloody great christmass session with John Peel, it's what listen to every christmass.. everyone should give it a listen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭chupacabras

santa's beard - they might be giants
    I Was Thinking I Could Clean Up For Christmas - aimee mann

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Hi Sinister Pete! *waves*

I love Transiberian Orchestra this time of year, they do stuff like dance of the sugar plum fairy at twice the speed with guitars, and call it Revenge of the Sugar Plumn Fairy, they only have one album which isn't Christmas covers!

Liz

• Registered Users Posts: 6,088 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

The Killers have a new song out for charity called "A Great Big Sled". Also, I heard a song called "Just Like Christmas" by a group called Low, with a female singer and a sort of almost-folksy sound, but still kind of alternative. In fact, I heard both of the above, plus a few other interesting ones that I had not heard before, on DCAL - purely for research purposes, you understand!

Another interesting tune (well I think so anyway) is a cover of "I Saw Mama Kissing Santa Claus" by the Thrills. As far as I know, this is only available on the bonus cd that some people got when they purchased their debut album So Much For The City.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

Blowfish wrote:
    Nightwish's version of 'We're Walking In The Air' is pretty good, Tarja's voice suits the song fairly well, plus the guitar works well for the solo too.
    I was gonna say that. I don't consider it as a great cover, but it's a classic Christmas song sang by a very good vocalist and a more rocky feel to it.

Advertisement