Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Toyota Corolla hatchback

Options
  • 05-12-2006 11:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm looking to get a 2000 corolla 1.4vvti hatchback, and I've a budget of between 4 and 5k.

I've tried carzone and autotrader, but there's very few. I don't want to go back in years, because the older model isnt as nice imho, and it'll be 7 yrs old in january anyway...

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Hi,

I'm looking to get a 2000 corolla 1.4vvti hatchback, and I've a budget of between 4 and 5k.

I've tried carzone and autotrader, but there's very few. I don't want to go back in years, because the older model isnt as nice imho, and it'll be 7 yrs old in january anyway...

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks!

Carzone and Autotrader prices are "asking" prices and most are optimistic at that. The actual selling prices may not be near the asking price. Saying that I would say that you will be looking at maybe a bit above your budget for one.

Did you actually contact any of the sellers to see what would be their bottom price? In most cases you will need to view the cars and then haggle with the seller. Most will not give you a bottom price over the phone.

These ones should easily be bought within your budget with a bit of haggling for a straight cash only deal:
    http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=499457
    http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=551225

Also have a look at the possibility of going over to the UK where they are alot cheaper (even taking VRT into account).

Also note that the new Auris (which replaces the Corolla) is available in the new year, this will have a knock on effect of resale value of old Corolla models as people trade up and dealers become swamped with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭E@gle.

bazz26 wrote:
    Also have a look at the possibility of going over to the UK where they are alot cheaper (even taking VRT into account).

i got mine in from UK and i'd do it again got a very clean corolla with low milage and going like it was new. got a 1999 for about E3000 with vrt and getting car home it cost me about 3700 i think.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭king_of_inismac

Thanks for the replies so far..

Did you find the cars online first? if so could you point me to the site?

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

we had one of those green 5 dr hatchbacks (5 dr) a few yrs ago. We bought it from the Toyota dealer and sold it in late '03 (it was a 99 reg) for about 5.5k. It had about 55k miles on it. I think some of the prices you are looking at are OTT....haggle. They are not the prettiest car on the block, so not too popular. Ours was the 1.3....very slow. The 1.4vvti would be a better choice

Thanks for the replies so far..

Did you find the cars online first? if so could you point me to the site?

Thanks!

www.autotrader.co.uk

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭amg-slurp

I have a silver 3door 1.4vvti (facelift)

80K miles, NCT
    Fully serviced and valeted

was looking 6k but wil take less, but not 5k!

amg-slurp wrote:
    I have a silver 3door 1.4vvti (facelift)

80K miles, NCT
    Fully serviced and valeted

was looking 6k but wil take less, but not 5k!
    I'll eat my hat if you get 5k for that...

whys that?

amg-slurp wrote:
    whys that?
    is it really worth 5.5k?

yes..easily.
    you in the trade or just think you know bout cars?

• Advertisement

amg-slurp wrote:
    yes..easily.
    you in the trade or just think you know bout cars?
    None of tha above but read my reply above on what I was only able to sell my one for a few yrs ago and it was a 5dr with less mileage

that was a 99 1.3 5 door in green!!!
    bit of a difference
    3door 1.4vvti in silver wil make more than that..i have someone looking at it tonight for 5800 so if she goes, what kinda hat wil u be eating? ur gonna be full, eating hats and humble pie all in one sitting!

Lex Luthor wrote:
    we had one of those green 5 dr hatchbacks (5 dr) a few yrs ago. We bought it from the Toyota dealer and sold it in late '03 (it was a 99 reg) for about 5.5k. It had about 55k miles on it. I think some of the prices you are looking at are OTT....haggle. They are not the prettiest car on the block, so not too popular. Ours was the 1.3....very slow. The 1.4vvti would be a better choice

no offence but u got done there.

Toyota are one of the most expensivve 2nd hand cars you can buy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭littlejukka

some of the best second hand cars you can buy as well, so it's no coincidence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭Mojito

Lex Luthor wrote:
    We bought it from the Toyota dealer and sold it in late '03 (it was a 99 reg) for about 5.5k. It had about 55k miles on it.

Just wondering what kind of condition it was in? Was there any damage to it? or just a quick sale? it does seem to be very cheap?? :confused:

Mojito wrote:
    Just wondering what kind of condition it was in? Was there any damage to it? or just a quick sale? it does seem to be very cheap?? :confused:
    It was in excellent condition. Only had it on the BUY & SELL which probably was to my downfall. Got very little calls. Was talking to teh wife last night and she told me we sold it for 6.3k....long time ago so can't remember

going out today to buy a big chocoloate hat

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Corolla 3 doors are very rare and hugely sought after. even rough ones make huge money second hand, On the other hand, the 5dr Liftback is very hard to sell compared to the saloon or 3 door.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

colm_mcm wrote:
    Corolla 3 doors are very rare and hugely sought after. even rough ones make huge money second hand, On the other hand, the 5dr Liftback is very hard to sell compared to the saloon or 3 door.

I think that is because the rear quarter of the 5 door liftback is terrible no matter what angle you look at it. Way more practical than the saloon or 3 door though.

yeah, but look at it! 'tis a pig! (obviously wasn't when we were selling them..

• Advertisement

aye the 5 door hatch back is ugly

E@gle. wrote:
    aye the 5 door hatch back is ugly
    followed by:
    E@gle. wrote:
    Hyundai Elantra for sale

!

hehe iv never drovw that car. i drive a 3 door corolla the good looking ones

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭G Luxel

luckily these two models dont arrive here as Japanese imports as they were never built or sold there. As to why the five door is ugly and weird, it was a modern day impression of the Austin II00 from the sixties. The rarest of this range would be the Spacio (would have been called the Corolla Verso) which was never sold here. Then the estate comes next, followed by probably the 3 door.

I still get a hard time for selling it from the wife....she said she liked it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

bazz26 wrote:
    Also note that the new Auris (which replaces the Corolla) is available in the new year, this will have a knock on effect of resale value of old Corolla models as people trade up and dealers become swamped with them.

I realise budget might be a bit tight but this is really a point worth considering. I've driven both model Corollas & the newer is far, far nicer to drive.

G Luxel wrote:
    luckily these two models dont arrive here as Japanese imports as they were never built or sold there. As to why the five door is ugly and weird, it was a modern day impression of the Austin II00 from the sixties. The rarest of this range would be the Spacio (would have been called the Corolla Verso) which was never sold here. Then the estate comes next, followed by probably the 3 door.

aren't the corolla verso popular in the current models?? i think iv see a few around.

Don't bank on current shape Corollas dropping much in price with the arrival or the Auris.
    When the current model came out in 2002, the previous generation didn't drop back that much, and the current model is far more sought after.

Re: Corolla Verso, the Spacio was built from the late 90's. very rare over here. (JDM model)

Advertisement