Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stress Fracture

Options
  • 05-12-2006 12:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭

My brother is concerned that he may have a stress fracture in his foot. He's been doing some reasearch on the internet and it all suggests the same thing.

Has anyone any experience of stress fractures?

I suggested he get it checked out by a doctor or physio, but the internet apparently suggests there's no point as it won't show up on x-ray until it begins to heal.

What advice would people give me to give him?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Domer

The scurge of the medical profession... internet aided self diagnosis!!!

Your brother should go to see a professional to get a proper diagnosis. It is true that it may not show on an xray for a few weeks after it occurs, but if it has been present for a while, it may already be healing and may indeed show. It will show on and MRI or other such imaging, but from a history and assessment the practitioner should be able to advice accordingly. If it is an SF, then the cure is rest (and possible immobilisation), so he should not run on it until he gets it correctly diagnosed.

Good luck, and fingers crossed it is not a fracture.

Domer

Advertisement