Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best AGP card that doesn't need extra power...

Options
  • 05-12-2006 12:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭

I'm thinking a 9600XT, friend wants to upgrade his Dell but very weak psu so anything remotely new is out, and currently has an fx5200....

Would this be correct?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

7600GS should do nicely no power connector required & performance is a touch better than a 6600GT.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Nice, thanks 8t8. I assumed all the newer agp cards these days needed extra power from the psu. Thanks again, he'll be happy with this info

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Weak psu? Are you sure, considering all Dells ship with the same psu? It may say 350watts but its more around the 400 mark.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

Much as I give Dell stick, the PSU's are generally half-decent. A lot better than ones found the cheap-o builds from smaller companies anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Keep in mind this PC is about 3 years old. I did look at the rating and it definately was not anywhere near 350w. I have a 2 year old 8400 myself, and its rated at 305w. Still fine though, and have run several optical drives and decent cards in it no problem, so I would also agree that dell psu's are reliable and usually under-rated. But again, I can't remember what it was, but I did look at it in my friends machine and it was fairly low rated.

• Advertisement
Advertisement