Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW Passat 1.9 TDi

Options
  • 05-12-2006 1:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭

Hello!

I was wondering if anyone could tell me if this is a serious problem or not.
    As I'm driving along, I sometimes find that the car looses power. It's normally when I'm accelerating, the turbo will kick in for a while and then it seems to just die. If I switch the engine off and on again and then accelerate, I have the power back again... Has anyone had this before?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I assume that there are no fault lights on the dash. It could be a faulty air mass meter or maybe a boost control switch. But to be honest, the best thing to do is have a diagnosis carried out to pin-point the fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,801 ✭✭✭✭Kojak

Our Passat had the very same problem. You will have to bring it to a garage - the problem, AFAIK, is there is a valve in the air-intake for the Turbo which is malfunctioning (i.e. it closes when it should be open and vice versa) It is also an electronics issue where the "wiring" is sending the wrong signals to the turbo.

As crosstownk said, have it checked out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭billsteersnose

Ah, that's great. Thanks a million! I'll give the garage a ring and get them to check her out...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭spooner_src

Hey, I am pretty sure its your MAF (mass airflow sensor) it sits just after the air box that houses the filter.

I have a tdi and wondered why the hell at motorway speeds I seemed to be going nowhere.

It wont show up on a VAG diagnostics cause it didnt for me.

A sure way to find out is to disconnect the cable leading into the MAF sensor...then drive for a little bit. Dont worry cause the engine management system will default to a standard mapping for the fuel intake etc. If there is a little more response then your MAF is cooked. Mine cost about 130 euro fitted and now the power is back.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

It wont show up on a VAG diagnostics cause it didnt for me.

It does actually - but not as a fault if you interrogate fault memeory. There is a specific test on VAS5051 that needs to be done while driving which will indicate a fault in the Air Flow Meter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭homerjk

Hey Spooner, did you get this done in Dublin by any chance?
    Ive been meaning to get this done but I keep putting it off, but now my NCT is coming I better get it done because I have heard it will make my emissions worse than they actually are...

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Mr.Diagnostic

crosstownk wrote:
    It does actually - but not as a fault if you interrogate fault memeory. There is a specific test on VAS5051 that needs to be done while driving which will indicate a fault in the Air Flow Meter.

Quite right. All too often people expect the scan tool to tell them what is the matter while the reality is it's the man holding the tool who must understand how to read all the available data.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,020 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Yeah, I performed that diagnostic procedure myself to determine my MAF was dead. It involves sticking it in 3rd and putting your foot to the floor! You need to look at the RPM at a certain speed IIRC (it's been a few years since I did it) and it doesn't register as a fault. The problem is that the wire's resistance changes over time but it doesn't 'burn out' and go open circuit! I replaced my crappy Bosch sensor with one for the Merc CDI made by Pierburg. It's a perfect fit and means you don't need to buy the entire housing unit so less $$$$$$$$. It's still going strong today.

Advertisement