Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mysql League Positions

Options
  • 05-12-2006 1:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭

I'm creating a fantasy league website. I need to display the position of members when they log in.

In my overall table I get all members and order them by the amount of points they have. Then in my php code I print their position as the order in which they appear. i.e. Row 0 = 1st position, Row 1 = 2nd Position etc

When I want to just display a single persons position I do not want to have to call the same query as my overall table, return the whole resultset and go through that until I reach the member id which I can then say their position is row + 1.

Is there a mysql function query where I can find where a row ranks in a table?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Unfortunately, mySQL doesn't support rownum, otherwise you could have done this:
    SELECT 
      myCol
    FROM 
      (select rownum as MyCol,
      UserID from myLeagueTable)
    WHERE 
      userID = 'TheUserID'

but if you google for mySQL & rownum you may be able to get a workaround.

This will return the number of the row, but I don't know how to nest this as I have done above:
    SELECT @rownum:=@rownum+1 rownum, t.*
    FROM (SELECT @rownum:=0) r, mytable t;

• Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭amen

not sure how to do it on MySql
    but i think you are missing something on your website
    most fantasy football sites let you see your position for each week
    so you prob need another table with the week number, team , team score and team position

of course that way when you want an idividual team position is very easy

Advertisement