Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Northside Market!!!!!

Options
  • 05-12-2006 1:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11

Hi

Anyone been to the new Northside Market near the Airport. Its in the Dog show centre just past the Coachmans.
    It was the Artane market but is up there for christmas. Lots of stalls. its open thurs - sunday. Its worth a visit!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Will this be the first AH thread to be moved to the new North County Dublin forum?

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭Feral Mutant

Eh, do you work for this market?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 faithj

Eh, no I dont work for the market! just thought I'd mention it since I didn't hear about it until a friend told me, so thought maybe it wasn't well advertised. And if someone that worked on the market mentioned it here I wouldn't see the harm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

faithj wrote:
    Eh, no I dont work for the market! just thought I'd mention it since I didn't hear about it until a friend told me, so thought maybe it wasn't well advertised. And if someone that worked on the market mentioned it here I wouldn't see the harm.
    its very much against the rules and spirit of the website to use it to plug your business for free.

theres a pay to advertise feature for that kind of thing

I've just said I dont work for the market. just mentioning it!!! Actually I'm starting my own business and have never mentioned it here and never would.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

no no,
    i wasnt saying you worked for the market.
    i was just saying why its frowned on for people to advertise their own business as you said you didnt see the harm.

back on topic,
    what kind of stuff is at this market?
    its not all pirate dvds and clothers stolen from the charity bins around is it?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

subway wrote:
    what kind of stuff is at this market?
    its not all pirate dvds and clothers stolen from the charity bins around is it?

lol

I understand that people shouldn't be advertising their own business here. I just wouldn't see the harm of someone working on the market mentioning that it existed as long as they weren't just advertising there own stall.

Didn't see any pirate dvd's. But there were a few stalls that were no good just selling tracksuits and strippy jumpers etc.

There are some unusual stalls there some of the Chinese peoples stall were nice. There's Christmas stalls with lots of decorations, toys, jewellery, paintings, wines, furniture, personalised embroidery.

I bought my nieces lovely christmas stockings with their names on them. I also bought a leather recliner for my dad. I also got my daughter a bike and a bratz fold up chair. My sister bought a battery operation car for her little one.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭Archeron

How big is it Faithj? Would it be as big as Fairyhouse? Is there parking available? Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

AH is not the new North County Dublin forum! Moved.

Please don't post regional threads in AH in future.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

I passed by it on Sunday.. It didn't look like a nice place to try and get out of as the traffic was horrible... big huge queue to get out onto the main road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

Well I for one am glad, Id never look in the feckin north county forum.

Too many sub forums here. IMO it would be better if Dublin just merged with the East forum into a sort of Dublin/Kildare/Meath/Louth/South Cavan/Wicklow thing, seeing as events/attractions/clubs and pubs in these areas are easily accessible to us all.

Wouldn't think it would be as big as fairyhouse. Haven't been there in ages.
    There is parking but its €2. Sunday there was a bit of traffic but i went about 12 so it wasn't too bad. Thursday & Friday its 12-9 so going late might not be as bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

shane86 wrote:
    Well I for one am glad, Id never look in the feckin north county forum
    Well, it's only up and running for a few days!

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭:|

Markets scare me. Although i did see a bonzai tree i wanted to get back when i was in artane. There was also a cannabis stall selling all the paraphernalia, and poppers and such. Seeing as there was many children around i didn't think this should be allowed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭MAYPOP

Is it full of nackers selling stolen power tools like the one at kart city was?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭gymrabbit

isn't this market in dublin 17 and therefore dublin city?

The National Show Centre is in North County Dublin.

MAYPOP wrote:
    Is it full of nackers selling stolen power tools like the one at kart city was?
    If you feel the need to use that offensive term, you could learn how to spell it correctly. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Nigella

There is really nice foodie market in the Red Stables in St Annes Park in Raheny I DONT WORK THERE!! I just Love it!! Its kind of like the temple bar food market with cheeses, organic veg, crepes, italiano, cakes , chocolates oh yumm! Check it out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Volvoboy

there is a good market up in ballbriggan, 9 dvd's for a score anyone?, go up every sunday, straight up the M1 take the second exit for balbriggan and ya cant miss it.

-VB-

Volvoboy wrote:
    9 dvd's for a score anyone?
    No thanks. I don't believe in lining the pockets of drug barons and terrorists.

Dont believe that! WB give me a bit of a solid link between Irish Travelers and terrorists and drug barons:o

-VB-

Volvoboy wrote:
    Dont believe that! WB give me a bit of a solid link between Irish Travelers and terrorists and drug barons:o

http://archives.tcm.ie/breakingnews/2005/03/15/story193835.asp

Pirate DVD trade 'dominating Irish film industry'

The Irish film and video industry is being dominated by pirates selling counterfeit DVDs, it was claimed today.

The Irish National Federation Against Copyright Theft (INFACT) told the Oireachtas Committee on Enterprise and Small Business that 64% of total industry revenue – or €115.2m – was lost to pirates each year.

The committee heard calls for stricter court fines and penalties for offences from a Piracy Steering Group, which includes INFACT.

INFACT – which is made up of industry heads – said that major pirates had links to organised crime and possibly international gangs.

INFACT secretary general, Brian Finegan said: “Pirates try to convey the image of a Robin Hood, while at the same time inflicting a serious blow to the Irish film and video industry, jobs and economy.

Gardaí made illegal DVD seizures worth €8.3m during 2003 – over double the amount for 2002.

Mr Finegan added: “To ensure the viability of the home entertainment industry, we must see existing legislation enforced and realistic penalties imposed to combat the lucrative cancer being perpetrated on the consumer.”

INFACT was set up in the early 1990s and has since assisted National Bureau of Criminal Investigation officers in over 3,000 raids.

Most counterfeit DVDs are sold in street markets, car boot sales, door to door or in advertisements in the print media.

Xtravision chief executive Martin Higgins told the committee that counterfeit DVDs were also being brazenly sold by pirates outside some of the firm’s 200 stores in the country.

He said that gardaí were frustrated that the time-consuming investigations didn’t result in tougher court penalties under the Copyright and Related Rights Act, 2000.

He added: “It’s seen as a victimless crime to a large extent. This is not a case of somebody being murdered. This is not a case of drug-related crime.

“For the judges, there is a lack of awareness of the damage it is doing to the industry.”

Mr Finegan agreed: “Absolute fortunes are put into surveillance, detection, searches, the preparation of books of evidence. Staggering sums of money have been involved. It has been disheartening.

“It does jaundice police work. They say ’why bother?’ It can be demoralising.”

INFACT said 90% of all counterfeit goods seized by customs officers were intercepted in the post.

The packages had come from China, the Far East and Turkey, Mr Finegan said.

“It is generally accepted, based on intelligence and information from multiple sources that the major pirates have links to organised crime, and the scope, expertise and money available to counterfeiters indicate an international crime affiliation.”

Mr Finegan also hinted at a strong subversive link to counterfeit operations.

“They’re not pussycats. It used to be a case of a few individuals trying to put a few quid in their hip pocket without the Revenue knowing about it.

“Now they’re arming themselves when they need to. We’re coming across people from the Border areas in markets in Cork and elsewhere.

“We even had a situation in Dundalk where a gang actually hijacked a lorry of goods that had earlier been seized.”

Committee chairman Donie Cassidy said he would be putting the concerns of INFACT to the Justice Department and inviting Minister Michael McDowell to appear before members in the near future.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭dubmick

now thats what I call an answer! :cool:

do people really think that normal 'joe soaps' are producing and distributing these pirated dvd's?

Never bought one and I never will.

Well ya learn somthing everyday!

-VB-

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 will m

i am thinking of setting up a stall and was wondering if i need public liability insurance for all markets??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,570 ✭✭✭sNarah

Are you looking to set up at the Northside market? Best ask over in the entrepreneurial forum, they would know more, or contact your local council which should have all the details too.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement