Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

WIFI Internet Radios

• 05-12-2006 1:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 23

I have wireless broadbandand use it mainly for the radio.Does anybody have a WIFI internet radio and if so:Do they work?Where did you purchase it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭White Horse

I have an Acoustic Energy wifi radio and love it. The BBC on demand facility is very useful and the range and quality of stations is excellent.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

have the acoustic energy as well , works anywhere in the house and sounds great but costs about €300 in england , new.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

I don't have one but I posted a similar query on HomeTainment Ireland

Have a look at this and the review here

One of the HTIreland posters recommended this noxon system which plays the MP3's on your hard drive as well but does say that the User Interface leaves a lot to be desired.

Guys I'll be looking at the Acoustic Energy system now, good to have a choice :)

r3nu4l wrote:
    I don't have one but I posted a similar query on HomeTainment Ireland

Have a look at this and the review here

One of the HTIreland posters recommended this noxon system which plays the MP3's on your hard drive as well but does say that the User Interface leaves a lot to be desired.

Guys I'll be looking at the Acoustic Energy system now, good to have a choice :)

One thing to be careful about is compatibility with Real Audio. The BBC still use Real Audio, and many of the devices out there are not compatible with this format.

The AE unit uses the reciva platform and there is a goof forum on their website discussing many of the options (www.reciva.com).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭magnumlady

I would love an internet radio, I've asked Santa for one and I've been very good, but I don't think I'll get one.:(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 857 ✭✭✭davros

I'm using the Logitech Wireless Music System that I bought from Komplett recently on special offer (€55).

Now I can stream audio from my computer to my home entertainment centre in another room. Works great and there is even some control of the media player from the entertainment centre side.

I already had the NTL FM feed connected to the entertainment system which is pretty good for the British stations but now I can get radio from any country in my living room.

Not as portable as an internet radio but might suit some folk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭parliament

the squeezebox is another option http://www.slimdevices.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

Another one here with the AE. Do you know, I have tons of gadgets, but if I lost them all, the AE is the first one I'd replace.

To those owning the AE.

What's the speaker quality like?
    What else can be connected to the unit? (e.g. speakers, etc.)

I'd think of buying one but they are quite expensive (I've just bought a house so yes, to me it is expensive!) :)

Speaker quality is brilliant, but I use mine mostly for talk radio (Radio 4 and 7) Music always seems fine, but I'm no expert. You can only connect a standard headphone jack to mine.

• Advertisement

r3nu4l wrote:
    To those owning the AE.

What's the speaker quality like?
    What else can be connected to the unit? (e.g. speakers, etc.)

I'd think of buying one but they are quite expensive (I've just bought a house so yes, to me it is expensive!) :)

For the size of the radio, the speakers are quite good. Acoustic Energy do make speakers after all.

However, after a while I connected mine to a Monitor Audio I-Deck speaker unit I have for my IPOD. There is a 3.5mm stereo jack at the back of the unit.

You get much better stereo separation as a result.

Thanks guys, I thought they might be good alright :)

hook an acoustic energy Aego to it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,962 ✭✭✭Greenman

davros wrote:
    I'm using the Logitech Wireless Music System that I bought from Komplett recently on special offer (€55).

Do you suffer any interference from say a microwave as I know some things on 2.4ghz do suffer.

Let me know please.

Thanks JD!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 857 ✭✭✭davros

I have Wi-Fi, wireless rear speakers on my entertainment system and this Logitech wireless thing. All work fine at the same time. I'll try out a microwave in the vicinity too and let you know how it goes.

Do you know if it picks up Planet Rock OK? Thats one of the stations I really want to get, not sure if you can on an internet radio though.

you can get a list of the stations here: https://www.reciva.com/

looks like it has Plant Rock:

Planet Rock Listen Now Add to My Stations
    Genres: Rock, Soft Rock, Indie Rock

Thank you tbh, thats great!!:D

I finally got one! I got a philips streamium sla5520. It doesn't have speakers but it does the job.
    Just having fun now looking for radio stations to put into it.

• Advertisement

hmmm - I had a look at that but it didn't have realaudio, which you need to listen to the BBC channels - I might be wrong tho. But if you don't mind about that, it looks really good, I like the idea of having genre-based stations for music. Let us know what you think of it when you've had a chance to play around with it!

I've had a quick play around with it, managed to get BBC radio 2 on it. Not really too worried about the other BBC ones though, still have a lot more to get put on it. I'll post again when I've got it sussed properly.

So these WiFi radios, they connect to the internet, as long as you have a wireless network in your house.

Once connected, they provide you with a selection of radio stations to stream live off the internet?

Is this how they work?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭need assistance

Have eircom netopia wireless broadband:( and bought internet radio logik ir100 in pc world. Keep getting wireless error 13. Have seen previous threads recommending changing WEP to automatic etcetra, no joy with same. Need assistance

Have eircom netopia wireless broadband:( and bought internet radio logik ir100 in pc world. Keep getting wireless error 13. Have seen previous threads recommending changing WEP to automatic etcetra, no joy with same. Need assistance

Try changing the router settings to open system (no encryption) and then search for network with the radio again with no encryption.

tbh wrote:
    hmmm - I had a look at that but it didn't have realaudio, which you need to listen to the BBC channels - I might be wrong tho. But if you don't mind about that, it looks really good, I like the idea of having genre-based stations for music. Let us know what you think of it when you've had a chance to play around with it!

Well the philips SLA5520 was an absolute pain. It was fiddley to set up and as you say didn't have real player plus it kept cutting out or not switching on first time, so I took it back to the shop (ended up having a row about it but they agreed in the end it was faulty).

Then got a Logik IR100, how easy that was to set up, just plugged it in and it searched for the network, it updates all the stations often and also has a clock and alarm on it.......but I got a dodgy one! It kept turning off too, and was getting really hot so back it went again.

I'm now on my second logik, had it since Friday and it hasn't gone off once. I love it!

The only downside with internet radio is that it keeps buffering and some stations that you can get through the computer at 128kbps bitrate only have 32 kbps on the radio, so its a pretty poor sound, but on the whole I can live with it and its not all the stations. Great to have such a selection.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭Tallspoon

I have been using the Acoustic Energy unit for a month and as a long time moaner about Irish radio, I have to say this unit is the dogs ballocks. I am now a very happy listener because I can get my beloved BBC as well as thousands of stations around the world. It couldnt be easier to use...highly recommended:)

Tallspoon wrote:
    I have been using the Acoustic Energy unit for a month and as a long time moaner about Irish radio, I have to say this unit is the dogs ballocks. I am now a very happy listener because I can get my beloved BBC as well as thousands of stations around the world. It couldnt be easier to use...highly recommended:)

agreed - I'm temporarily without broadband at the mo, and I really miss being able to use this! can't wait to get it back on-line, 8 days and counting!

I even bought an AE for my mammy at christmas . By the way they and the similar magicbox imp (with worse speaker but same menu system and real audio support) and others are quite cheap on AQ Dab

http://www.aqdab.com/store/en/view_product/x/1946/?a=507

and

http://www.aqdab.com/store/en/view_product/x/1958/

and with UK15 shipping to Ireland.

• Advertisement

I see Argos are selling two at the moment, one by Bush and another one. The Bush one receives 4,000 stations and the other one only 1,000.

Not the best selection I imagine, how many can the AE system receive? Also, how good is the quality on BBC channels?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,995 ✭✭✭✭blorg

So these WiFi radios, they connect to the internet, as long as you have a wireless network in your house.

Once connected, they provide you with a selection of radio stations to stream live off the internet?

Is this how they work?
    Yes, that's exactly how they work.

r3nu4l wrote:
    How many can the AE system receive?
    about 5,500 now .
    Also, how good is the quality on BBC channels?
    very good actually

see the channel listings here (or add another one)

https://www.reciva.com/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&page=shop.browse&category_id=1&Itemid=1

Sponge Bob wrote:
    about 5,500 now .

very good actually

see the channel listings here (or add another one)

https://www.reciva.com/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&page=shop.browse&category_id=1&Itemid=1

You can preset 10 stations, and navigate through to the rest. Navigation is done by genre or location. I find quality to be great, subject to network conditions, and I love the "on demand" feature - I can listen to "Just a Minute" while I'm having a shave - never get tired of that :)

I can preset 5 as favourites from the buttons on the radio, but through the website you can select hundreds, and put them in a folder in the radio called 'My stuff'.

magnumlady wrote: »
    I finally got one! I got a philips streamium sla5520. It doesn't have speakers but it does the job.
    Just having fun now looking for radio stations to put into it.

On a recent trip to Ireland I was in PC World in Carrickmines and bought that WIFI Internet radio for 20 euro which I said was a bargain. I doubted that it would work great but the guy in the shop swore he used it at home all the time.

Its very buggy plus the starting documentation dosen't tell you that you have to register with Philips before it will work. I sometimes get a network error and you have to be patient. All in all for 20 euro its great and has given me the appetite to get a WIFI radio with speaker and built in speaker.

So to sum up I really like WIFI radio, such a great selection of radio stations listed by GENRE, very interesting and exciting for a radio head like me.

Whats next??? a WIFI TV prehaps.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭TRSJ

I have 2 types of unit - 1 in the kitchen and 1 in the bedroom

9,000 stations on the magicbox imp unit all the bbc radio stations (about 75 BBC's in total!). some of the BBCs even can be listened to live or on demand recorded programmes. Just be careful that the radio you buy has reciva software on it for streaming the stations to get bbc. This radio has 10 presets. Most radios do have reciva software on them like Bush, magicbox, roberts etc.

I also have a terratec internet radio (powered by noxom) in another room that is not powered by reciva software and does not get all the bbc stations or are uk only streams from the bbc so be careful what you buy. Nowhere near the choice that reciva software provides. Having said that I get a lot of other stations in 128k stereo that reciva does not list which are better than fm sound quality such as Capital London and some other world stations. This has 10 presets and a remote control which is handy.

The best radio though I have seen to date (my next purchase) is a roberts internet radio which has stereo sound 2 speakers which most internet radios don't have. http://www.robertsradio.co.uk/pages/wm201.html

TRSJ

Came across this site http://www.wifiradioreview.com/ well worth a read and something for the sticky if it gets up and running.

Well today I got my long awaited Roberts WM201 Wi Fi Internet radio. WOW, what can I say. So far fantastic.

Took me 1 minute only to set up from opening package to connecting to my network to listening to 1 of thousands of stations. Sound is fantastic, better than any of the other wi-fi internet radios so far i have tested/owned out there. As it has 2 speakers unlike most other wi-fi internet radios it's stereo sound is fantastic (depending on each station of course). The bass kick off the radio is good and this means not needing to hook it up to an amp and seperate speakers for general listening. Have it on in the office now and the only complaint is that the staff here can't all quite agree on what format/genre /station to listen to!

see at:
    http://www.robertsradio.co.uk/pages/wm201.html

review at:
    http://www.wifiradioreview.com/news/1153/Roberts_dips_toe_into_WiFi_radio.html

TRSJ wrote: »
    Well today I got my long awaited Roberts WM201 Wi Fi Internet radio. WOW, what can I say. So far fantastic.

Took me 1 minute only to set up from opening package to connecting to my network to listening to 1 of thousands of stations. Sound is fantastic, better than any of the other wi-fi internet radios so far i have tested/owned out there. As it has 2 speakers unlike most other wi-fi internet radios it's stereo sound is fantastic (depending on each station of course). The bass kick off the radio is good and this means not needing to hook it up to an amp and seperate speakers for general listening. Have it on in the office now and the only complaint is that the staff here can't all quite agree on what format/genre /station to listen to!

see at:

review at:

Thats great TRSJ, please tell us how you are getting on. Who did you buy it from? what did you pay? Great to meet such a web radio fan, well done.

Here's another review http://www.t3.com/home-entertainment/radio/roberts-wm201-review

Took me 1 minute only to set up from opening package to connecting to my network to listening to 1 of thousands of stations.

Would you ever consider doing a Youtube video review, that I would love to see, something like
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9Lmbf33Qwo

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Yeah, I'd like to know how much that Roberts one was too, and where you got it.

It is around ST£199 (€260) recommended which I paid through AQ wireless but I see that aq are selling it now for £179 (damn)
    http://www.aqudos.com/store/en/view_product/x/2682/

wm201_medium.jpg

I got it from AQ wireless but there was a delay of about 3 weeks on it as apparently Roberts can't seem to be able to keep up with demand. I now know why. The only downside is that all controls are through the remote control OR the single jog wheel which if a person was new to this, can be confusing.

Other than that it is magic mainly for the sound quality especially for stations streaming 128k+.

A friend of mine bought one from Go Electrical (also in the uk)
    http://www.go-electrical.co.uk/view/area/Catalog/section/Details/for/ProductOption/ref/4388

And it runs off the Reciva thing does it?

It's a bit expensive for me right now, but the Roberts gear is usually top, top quality.

I have my Logik one to do me until I can justify the outlay for this one.

Thanks for the info mate.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭Radio Mad.

I have the Logik and love it. It fits quite nicely beside my bed. I recently came across a pair of stereo speakers from an old computer I once had. I now have the radio running through them. They are small enough for the bedside and pack a very nice punch.

see at:

review at:

Hello TRSJ,
    Please watch this clip http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h9XHllyM0TA and tell me is this the Roberts with a different badge? BTW How are you getting on with it?
    Thanks alot.
    JD

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,131 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Greenman wrote: »
    Hello TRSJ,
    Please watch this clip http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h9XHllyM0TA and tell me is this the Roberts with a different badge? BTW How are you getting on with it?
    Thanks alot.
    JD
    Seems very like the Roberts, having browsed the Roberts manual. Everything seems indentical, including the remote, etc.

Radio Mad. wrote: »
    I have the Logik and love it. It fits quite nicely beside my bed. I recently came across a pair of stereo speakers from an old computer I once had. I now have the radio running through them. They are small enough for the bedside and pack a very nice punch.
    Ah jaysis, nice one pal.

I forgot about the stereo socket at the back tbh.

Does anyone know if it's possible to hook a "normal" set of speakers from a hi-fi up to a 3.5mm socket?

DesF wrote: »
    Ah jaysis, nice one pal.

Does anyone know if it's possible to hook a "normal" set of speakers from a hi-fi up to a 3.5mm socket?

you'd probably have to go through the stereo. There's probably an AUX in, which you connect to the radio using an cable with a standard jack on each end..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭Radio Mad.

DesF wrote: »
    Ah jaysis, nice one pal.

Hello DesF, as tbh mentioned above, most hi-fi units have an auxiliary facility. It normally comprises two phono sockets. Shops like Peats, Power City etc will be able to supply you with a double phono to 3.5 lead. It's what I use to listen to my laptop through the hi-fi.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Thats what I do (handily my bedside table is actually a hi-fi stack unit :) )

Mike.

• Advertisement
Advertisement