Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

WIFI Internet Radios

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭TRSJ

Greenman,

yeah looks identical. Maybe that is the brand roberts use in the usa?

getting on great. just blown away by the sound off it. anything over a 64k stream sounds great generally (depending on station audio of course).

all my presets are stations 64k+ streams. Out of the 3-4 internet radios I have had, this is by far the best (but also the most expensive!). Remote is easy to use. You get 6 presets on remote and then another 6 on the radio itself using the knob.

TRSJ

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,962 ✭✭✭Greenman

TRSJ?

I wonder what is you're download usage per month? I have 10 gigs at my disposal haven't checked my usage.

Regards JD

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

I have the Morphy Richards Wifi Internet radio - from Maplins. works a treat and was only £55 - Eur70 - bought it up north as Maplin in Dublin rip you off on the euro prices.

Very happy with this budget radio which supports realaudio.

Only minus is the external power adaptor versus built in one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

Greenman wrote: »
    TRSJ?

I wonder what is you're download usage per month? I have 10 gigs at my disposal haven't checked my usage.

Regards JD

just on that note, I was pleasantly surprised. I have a similar cap, and leave the radio on pretty much from 5pm to 10pm every day and all day weekends. I'm not even near my cap, and I download movies, play xbox etc.

tbh wrote: »
    just on that note, I was pleasantly surprised. I have a similar cap, and leave the radio on pretty much from 5pm to 10pm every day and all day weekends. I'm not even near my cap, and I download movies, play xbox etc.

Thats interesting.

How are you getting on with the AE ? Are you still happy with it ? What did pay and where did you get it ?

Thanks JD.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

yeah still loving the AE, there have been a couple of firmware updates that have really improved it - things like multiline display, dimming the backlight etc. Still a couple of small bugs there, but nothing major. I think I paid £199 for it about two years ago..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

That's it. I haven't noticed any of the negatives in that review - radio simply works and menu structure seems simple to me. Sound is perfectly adequate and bassy for the likes of a kitchen or bedroom.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Franner

Anyone else with roberts wm-201 having problems getting bbc or able to suggest a reason why I can't get it.. also can't get it on my mac pro.. just stopping and buffering all the time

Edit, got this sorted.. was a problem with the router's firewall

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭mike2084

That's it. I haven't noticed any of the negatives in that review - radio simply works and menu structure seems simple to me. Sound is perfectly adequate and bassy for the likes of a kitchen or bedroom.

I have one of those in my bedroom- works quite well. I mainly listen to BBC 4,5 & WS on it. Important to be able to get a strong signal to it as the wifi isn't the strongest on it. Otherwise no complaints.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Ziah

I don't have one but I heard of that WIFI Internet Radio.
    It's kinda' cool, hope to own one soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭maryxyz

Do you have to have wireless broadband to use an Internet radio ? I have the old-fashioned phone line broadband

Thanks

Maryxzy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

maryxyz wrote: »
    Do you have to have wireless broadband to use an Internet radio ? I have the old-fashioned phone line broadband

Thanks

Maryxzy
    You connect your phoneline to a wireless router which are available from about €50. You don't even have to have your computer on to receive radio.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭maryxyz

that's brilliant - where would you get the router for Eur50 ?

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭mike2084

maryxyz wrote: »
    that's brilliant - where would you get the router for Eur50 ?

I got mine here. The D-Link 524 is €58.

http://www.marxcomputers.ie/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14 mikelongford

Hi everyone,
    thinking of buying one of these as its about the only one available where we live.....anyone know anything about them?.....is it any good?, is it one of those "end of the line" things, whats the build like,.....would anyone recommend it/......etc etc
    Many thanks folks
    Mike

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,131 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Not a fan of it myself.

Sound wise, it's worse than the Currys/PCWorld Logik IR100.

One we had at work died after a fortnight. it worked for a few hours, and then nothing short of plugging it out for a long while would make it work again. Probably not inherent in all of them, just a fualty one we had.

However, I'd still prefer the Logik over the MR.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭TRSJ

roberts 201 all the way. The stereo sound and base off the roberts 201 wi-fi radio makes it the best so far I have heard for audio quality. (depending on station's stream quality of course).
    http://www.robertsradio.co.uk/Products/Internet_radios/STREAM_201/index.htm

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,682 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I was going to get a Wi-fi radio until I realised that my mobile phone had a built in Realplayer app. So I'm now able to stream BBC radio through by Nokia E51 from anywhere in the house. Loudspeaker isn't the best but it works great otherwise. Just something to consider if you have a wi-fi enabled phone.

Also another alternative for anyone with ntl and just looking for BBC stations, is to hook a coax cable from the ntl box to a stereo/radio.

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Bog Butter

I got an internet radio and i have eircom broadband. I'm not sure how many mb's i have but i was wondering if listening to radio stations is depended on how many mb's i have? can i listen to the stations for as long as i want or able to? will it effect my bill?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭GSF

TRSJ wrote: »
    roberts 201 all the way. The stereo sound and base off the roberts 201 wi-fi radio makes it the best so far I have heard for audio quality. (depending on station's stream quality of course).
    http://www.robertsradio.co.uk/Products/Internet_radios/STREAM_201/index.htm
    Just bought a new Roberts STREAM 202 online for about €165. I presume its as good as the 201?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

Yes, it will affect your monthly download limit. Any data that is sent to or from your PC is internet traffic. If you have never used it, here's the link to the Eircom broadband stats - you can keep an eye on how much of your monthly allocation you've used.

Try listening to a radio station online and see how you get on. If your computer can do that, it'll work with the radio.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,559 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

I have a Pico Revo.

It cost a lot, and to be honest, if I place it more than 5 metres away from the router I get problems. I have other wifi gear placed further around the house and reception is never a problem.

I'll probably look at getting a Roberts in the new year.

I have a Tivoli Model One (FM only) and the sound is fantastic. Would be great if they added wifi onto it.

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Bog Butter

Firetrap wrote: »
    Yes, it will affect your monthly download limit. Any data that is sent to or from your PC is internet traffic. If you have never used it, here's the link to the Eircom broadband stats - you can keep an eye on how much of your monthly allocation you've used.

Try listening to a radio station online and see how you get on. If your computer can do that, it'll work with the radio.

I checked by usage and over the last 4 months it has never exceeded 32% in any one month. I was told that internet radio does not use a great deal of bandwith so i reakon i'll be fine. But i'll keep an eye on it anyways. Thanks for that usefull link Firetrap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 mikelongford

Hi byte
    many thanks for your speedy reply........think i'll do a bit more research before i cough up the hard-earned !!
    thanks again
    Mike

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

To give people an idea of how much data a stream contains, a BBC Radio 2 three hour programme using the real player codec at 64kbps, with my Logik IR100 wireless is around 90MB.

byte

iBood are selling a Revo Blik wifi radio today.

revo02Large.jpg
    Might be worth a llook, as 69eur doesn't sound bad (ex shipping)
    http://www.ibood.com/site/eu/iboodSpecs.php

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Royal Seahawk

So how do you tune in one of these radios from the internet? I listen to ESPN radio online,can i listen to it on a wi fi radio if i buy one?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 866 ✭✭✭Rockiemalt

i think Santa/the birthday fairy is going to get me a wifi radio but I need to find one with a ethernet port, so i can plug the internet into it like cause i don't have wireless. Any suggestions anyone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

So how do you tune in one of these radios from the internet?
    they use your wireless router (wifi) to connect to the internet, and will play most of the radio stations, in the world, that stream online.

some stations (like bbc) also make some of their content available "on demand", which means you can listen to certain stations whenever you like.

so...
    I listen to ESPN radio online,can i listen to it on a wi fi radio if i buy one?

in all probability the answer is yes
    Rockiemalt wrote: »
    i think Santa/the birthday fairy is going to get me a wifi radio but I need to find one with a ethernet port, so i can plug the internet into it like cause i don't have wireless. Any suggestions anyone?

don't think they exist, so the only option is to get a wireless router as your surprise. :)

• Advertisement

I have just found one roberts one so far but I was hoping for more of a choice, we have stupid NTL broadband which is apparently a different type so you need a different a special sort of wifi modem with it..

we have stupid NTL broadband which is apparently a different type so you need a different a special sort of wifi modem with it..

expand more on this please...I'm moving to a place with ntl bb after xmas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

So how do you tune in one of these radios from the internet? I listen to ESPN radio online,can i listen to it on a wi fi radio if i buy one?

Most of them use reciva.com to gather their station lists.
    You can search for the available stations there - ESPN is listed!

Des wrote: »
    expand more on this please...I'm moving to a place with ntl bb after xmas.

i worked in a well know shop that sells PC's and stuff for a very short time. I have NTL broadband & got told by one of the technicians who actually knew what he was doing that NTL is a different sort of broadband and so you have to be careful about which wireless routers you use as lots dont work, but certain ones do. this was about 4 years ago now so it may well have changed and I see there's an option for a wireless router on the NTL site now. http://www.upc.ie/internet/
    So its not that wireless won't work its just you gotta be careful about which modem you use. Sorry I cant remember more!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Er....yes...you use any wireless ROUTER with NTL or with broadband over a phoneline.
    The only difference with NTL is that it comes in over their cable. They provide you with a cable modem, which you connect to your wireless router.

It's only if you use a DSL modem/wireless router in one that you would have problems using it with cable internet like NTL.

does the Logik IR100 have any issues with WPA encryption?

Doesn't f'in like it Des. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

My other half got me a Tangent Quattro wifi radio for my birthday yesterday. Absolutely love it, brilliant sound, thousands of stations and looks fab. Serious brownie points for him! Has anyone else got this one?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

Rockiemalt, mine has an ethernet port.

• Advertisement

Des wrote: »
    don't think they exist, so the only option is to get a wireless router as your surprise. :)

Wouldn't go along with thar AFAIK most have an ethernet port.

byte

Wouldn't go along with thar AFAIK most have an ethernet port.
    Nah, many don't have ethernet port, though a few do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,284 ✭✭✭ongarite

deemark wrote: »
    My other half got me a Tangent Quattro wifi radio for my birthday yesterday. Absolutely love it, brilliant sound, thousands of stations and looks fab. Serious brownie points for him! Has anyone else got this one?

Sorry for the bump. Do you know where you got the Tangent Quattro from. I'm interested in picking one up and trying to find the best value.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 318 ✭✭HuntingDrog

whats the main difference between the the Roberts 202 and 201?
    According to some websites.....
    201 is a Wi-Fi Internet Radio
    202 is an Internet & DAB radio with Media Streaming

I know that the 202 is more portable and has DAB. And i know that there is far better sound out of the 201. BUT............
    My question really relates to the wifi - As regards using the wifi on the 202, does it work like the 201?

appreciate the feedback folks-tks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭TM

As far as I know the 201 uses the Reciva portal while the 202 uses the Frontier (Silicon) one. If you're not familiar with the two then Google them and you should find lots of info.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 318 ✭✭HuntingDrog

tks TM

think the 202 is for me. i like the portability of it

• Advertisement

The 202 looks better in black than silver, imho.

I'm mulling over the Roberts Stream WM202 (€200 from Peats) and the Revo Blik Radiostation (€180 from Peats) myself at the moment. I tried the Binatone Tranciva IR804 but after four models in total from Argos could not get one that worked reliably so I gave up and took the money. Pity - for €90 it would have been a great deal as an entry level DAB/FM/Wifi LAN and internet unit but as it was it looks like they have serious build quality/reliability problems. Curiously there seem to be very few end user reports posted online. Maybe nobody else could get a working model? Anybody here have more luck?

TM wrote: »
    Binatone

Now there's a brand you would not find in my house.

I have a Binatone DECT phone and it has served me well for years now. I have used other Binatone devices which were fine too. I don't go in for blind brand loyalty or disparagement myself. Each to their own though. My specific experience with the IR804 was negative though and I personally would not recommend it. Maybe others were luckier or had better experiences...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭TarfHead

byte wrote: »
    iBood are selling a Revo Blik wifi radio today.

revo02Large.jpg
    Might be worth a llook, as 69eur doesn't sound bad (ex shipping)
    http://www.ibood.com/site/eu/iboodSpecs.php

Bought it - got it before Christmas & am very happy with it.

I am assuming that DAB broadcasts, available in Ireland, are also available as internet radio broadcasts. Is this assumption correct ?

• Advertisement
Advertisement