Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

WIFI Internet Radios

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

Yes, RTÉ's DAB offerings are on the web too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭komodosp

Once connected, they provide you with a selection of radio stations to stream live off the internet?

Got a Blik one and that's how it works alright. You can search by country (and State if it's USA) or genre. Have no idea how much it cost or where it was got since it was a pressie

But love it... But then I love to listen to see how life is portrayed in other countries... Listening to an israel talk show was interesting (once I found an English-speaking one).
    Also if you're in the mood for a particular type of music, it's handy...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭TRSJ

TM,

good point about the radio portals each radio uses. THIS IS THE MOST IMPORTANT THING.

No point in having a nice radio, a nice look, nice audio, ethernet ports, good value price and easy to use IF the radio portal it uses does not have good choice or more importantly the stations you want are available on the portal it uses. I have a few reciva powered radios and one terratec noxom radio but the terratec noxom does not use reciva so a lot of stations are not listed on one or the other portal, although reciva's choice is far superior on the roberts 201 I have.

TRSJ

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭TM

I thought that the Frontier portal had more stations listed than Reciva? Although Reciva seems to be a lot longer on the go and more established. I'm not really too sure about the full set of pros and cons of each but I'm sure that there's a FAQ or two on that somewhere out on the web...

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭gqma0

I've been looking for an internet radio that would have the ipod dock. Can someone recommend one ?

Thanks
    G

The Revo Blik Radiostation for one seems to have at least an option for an iPod dock. I'm sure that other makes/models also have something similar.

Product home page: http://www.revo.co.uk/digital-radio/revo-blik-radiostation.php

Manual: http://www.revo.co.uk/downloads/iblik_RS.pdf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭brian ireland

So after all that chit chat. what is the best Radio to buy .IE Dab Dab+ Wifi Fm

Folks, I think we have a new contender for the throne....

Pure Avanti Flow

Review.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

gqma0 wrote: »
    I've been looking for an internet radio that would have the ipod dock. Can someone recommend one ?

Thanks
    G

This reminds to say (apologies if it has been posted before) that there are several applications now in the itunes store that for a fiver or less will turn an iphone or ipod touch into an excellent internet radio. Try wunder radio for example:

http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=292233889&mt=8

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭TRSJ

dub 45

I was just thinking the same thing.

Wunder radio app is by far the best radio app for the iphone or ipod touch. No comparison to the cheap or free radio apps. I use the wunder radio app myself to listen to radio.

But you still need a good speaker system to play it on and the choice is still not as good as reciva so a wi-fi radio is still maybe a better option. Roberts 201 because of the audio still beats using a ipod docking station with a radio app on it.

TRSJ

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 318 ✭✭HuntingDrog

help!

i've just bought a Roberts 202 today - great job! delighted with it. reception is great and it just about has all the stations i need.....except.....

WLR FM (waterford radio) and LMFM (Louth Meath radio) are coming up with a "Network error" and are not coming in. They were not in the stations list on the radio, so I've tried to manually tune/set the station via the recommended website for the 202 http://www.wifiradio-frontier.com but still they don't work. Any ideas what i'm doing wrong?

tks

I'll ask this again, as nobody has been able to answer it before....

Has www.wifiradio-frontier.com a forum of some sort that you can request stations to be updated or added? As I don't have a Frontier-based radio, you can't view it without registering there. :(

DMC wrote: »
    I'll ask this again, as nobody has been able to answer it before....

Has www.wifiradio-frontier.com a forum of some sort that you can request stations to be updated or added? As I don't have a Frontier-based radio, you can't view it without registering there. :(

You can add a station via its http or you can email them requesting that a station be added.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 318 ✭✭HuntingDrog

dub45 wrote: »
    You can add a station via its http or you can email them requesting that a station be added.

i tried the http route but it didn't work. I'll email them with a request so. tks for that and i'll get back to you and let you know how i get on.

HD

i tried the http route but it didn't work. I'll email them with a request so. tks for that and i'll get back to you and let you know how i get on.

HD

Was this in relation to your query above? I was able to add the LM http to the page (am not at home so dont know yet if it plays on the radio but it certainly plays 'off' the page). However I couldnt find the link for the Waterford one they seem to be using Flash for their stream and haven't a clue how to extract a link from that.....?

By the way I have added a couple previously by http and they worked no problem.

The direct link to WLRFM is

http://www.txradica.net/tune.php?c=wlrfm&.wvx

Windows Media format

This is the link used by Reciva...

mms://193.27.42.226/wlrfm

DMC wrote: »
    The direct link to WLRFM is

http://www.txradica.net/tune.php?c=wlrfm&.wvx

Windows Media format

This is the link used by Reciva...

mms://193.27.42.226/wlrfm

Neither station working for me either - network error and format error.

Works here when opened in Windows Media Player 11 on the PC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Works fine in winamp (bronski beat :eek:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭Enda Caldwell

Here is the one I hope to get soon:

http://www.noeman.org/gsm/technology-news/72090-new-sanyo-r227-internet-radio.html

It IS a Sanyo.. a step above "Sharp" maybe?

At the moment I already have a Digital Radio - The Morphy Richards prototype Model 27024 complete with SD Card port and many other great options like FM, MW, LW and ..... wait for it, DRM! It does have a couple of minor bugs. RTL Group provided me with it free when Radio Luxembourg was still on 40kw's of DRM from Berlin on 7295khz and a low power one from Dudelange here in The Grand Duchy on 25795.

The one funny and great thing about it is the ability to "speed up the dial" when you wind the tuning knob faster!! - It jumps up the band literally. The quality and texture of the signal on Luxy was more or less the same as a nice clear LW signal. Seems that DRM is not going to die, it's got a future as many international broadcasters like China and Japan use it...

I mainly listen to Fun Radio (Belgium) on it which comes in fine here from up the road in Arlon, Belgium on 107.5FM - the former Radio Contact relay frequency for Arlon. I have listened to Radio Netherlands in English on DRM a few times too. Lovely crystal Clear signal from a station 4 hours away from me. Good ole' DRM eh?

I look forward to hooking up my new internet radio when I get it.
    I was at a friend's place in Northern Ireland looking at their WIFI Radio and we were amazed at just how many stations are there to be found on these little radios!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 170 ✭✭radiofoot

Anyone have the Revo iBlik RadioStation or the Pico Radiostation? I am more interested in the iBlik, but am tempted by the Pico because it is more portable. Does anyone know what the sound quality is like on either?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,559 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

radiofoot wrote: »
    Anyone have the Revo iBlik RadioStation or the Pico Radiostation? I am more interested in the iBlik, but am tempted by the Pico because it is more portable. Does anyone know what the sound quality is like on either?
    I have the Pico. I listen to talk radio mostly so I couldn't offer any opinion on sound quality.

I've owned numerous wifi routers, the Pico tapped-out if I got more than 10 feet away from any of them. Portability is pretty good with the Pico, but thats a mute point if it can't receive a signal.

The iBlik just looks ugly to me - iBood were flogging them for about €80 the other day. Revo's products are also pretty costly. I wouldn't recommend a Pico to anyone to be honest. It's a nice idea executed badly.

I have the Pico. I listen to talk radio mostly so I couldn't offer any opinion on sound quality.

I've owned numerous wifi routers, the Pico tapped-out if I got more than 10 feet away from any of them. Portability is pretty good with the Pico, but thats a mute point if it can't receive a signal.

The iBlik just looks ugly to me - iBood were flogging them for about €80 the other day. Revo's products are also pretty costly. I wouldn't recommend a Pico to anyone to be honest. It's a nice idea executed badly.

Thanks for the response - it's a good thing I asked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭Apogee

Are any of the wifi radios able to deal with archived programmes on RTÉ? Either from Realaudio .smil files or .mp3 podcasts?

For what it's worth you can sometimes pick up good deals on Revo refurbished units from the Revo eBay outlet store:

http://shop.ebay.ie/merchant/revo_outlet_store

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭2fivers

Just dont buy from Expansys unless you know exactly what you're looking for, have no interest in customer service standards and are prepared to wait until you're very old to receive your purchase. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭jaggiebunnet

hi - i am looking to get this for my wife and was wondering if anyone knows whether you can pick up Classic Fm, the RTE stations and the BBC stations?

Thanks for any help
    Cheers
    Robert.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

yep, you will be able to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭jaggiebunnet

tbh wrote: »
    yep, you will be able to.

thanks.

I bought a Ministry Of Sound Internet Radio on Wednesday. Its the business!! You can stream music files from your PC as well as listening to Internet Radio. You can also add any station you want on your own wed account. this is then sent to your radio...

• Advertisement

Apogee wrote: »
    Are any of the wifi radios able to deal with archived programmes on RTÉ? Either from Realaudio .smil files or .mp3 podcasts?

As far as I know, if your radio uses Reciva you can setup podcasts on your reciva account and they will be available on your radio's menu.
    Might also be dependent on the radio you are using.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭yoshytoshy

radiofoot wrote: »
    As far as I know, if your radio uses Reciva you can setup podcasts on your reciva account and they will be available on your radio's menu.
    Might also be dependent on the radio you are using.
    My new (baby) MOSAC150 has Reciva. I sent Podcasts to it but they don't play, Got an error message. Everything else about the Radio is 100%. Love it!!!!

yoshytoshy wrote: »
    How much is it?

How much is it?

it's 180 euro on technicdirect.de ,but I've been going through the specs everywhere ,the OSD is portugese and swedish. It looks like thats why it's not listed on any of the other euro sites.
    it's a hifi-add on ,which is what I had planned. it doesn't seem to have it's own speakers.

The unit you got is out of stock everywhere:( ,gets good comments from people:)

it's 180 euro on technicdirect.de ,but I've been going through the specs everywhere ,the OSD is portugese and swedish. It looks like thats why it's not listed on any of the other euro sites.
    it's a hifi-add on ,which is what I had planned. it doesn't seem to have it's own speakers.

The unit you got is out of stock everywhere:( ,gets good comments from people:)

You should be able to play most wifi radios through a hi fi system with a simple phono type lead. Not having speakers would definitely affect the flexiblity but that may not be an issue for you.

I would be reluctant to buy something that is not locally available - if you have any probs its going to be very messy to get it fixed. Look around at whats available and get a feel for what the various models are like physically.

Also bear in mind that in terms of sound quality the bit rate of a lot of streams will be sub hi fi and may sound more acceptable on lo fi built in radio speakers which are geared to make the most of that t ype of sound.

You should be able to play most wifi radios through a hi fi system with a simple phono type lead. Not having speakers would definitely affect the flexiblity but that may not be an issue for you.

I would be reluctant to buy something that is not locally available - if you have any probs its going to be very messy to get it fixed. Look around at whats available and get a feel for what the various models are like physically.

Also bear in mind that in terms of sound quality the bit rate of a lot of streams will be sub hi fi and may sound more acceptable on lo fi built in radio speakers which are geared to make the most of that type of sound.

cheers dub45 ,thanks again for them radio links.

i've got leads and stuff here from down through the years ,mixtures of co-ax's to toslink cables.
    the thing that worries me the most is the portals and variants that are mentioned in the thread. i'm presuming if i pay a good price ,i'll get a good one that plays most channels.

I bought a Ministry Of Sound Internet Radio on Wednesday. Its the business!! You can stream music files from your PC as well as listening to Internet Radio. You can also add any station you want on your own wed account. this is then sent to your radio...

is this the same radio ?
    http://www.oxxdigital.com/en/product.aspx?pid=185#fragment-2

Looks The same but mine has ministry of sound logo on it and the remote.
    http://www.recordstore.co.uk/images/covers/ministryofsound/MOSAC150-300.jpg

tried everywhere for a radio today and couldn't find anything:( . Argos don't have a restock date for the ministry of sound radio either.
    don't mind paying in a shop ,but peats are looking for 300 euro for the roberts 201 radio. no way was I going to hand over 300 notes:mad:

• Advertisement

tried everywhere for a radio today and couldn't find anything:( . Argos don't have a restock date for the ministry of sound radio either.
    don't mind paying in a shop ,but peats are looking for 300 euro for the roberts 201 radio. no way was I going to hand over 300 notes:mad:

I got the Roberts 202 in the Peats Dame St branch for 199 before Christmas. I am very pleased with it and it might be a bit cheaper now. FM DAB and internet radio cant go wrong really.

I got the Roberts 202 in the Peats Dame St branch for 199 before Christmas. I am very pleased with it and it might be a bit cheaper now. FM DAB and internet radio cant go wrong really.

Cheers ,the 202 looks like a well built tidy radio ,someone is actually selling one on adverts at the moment.

if I can though ,going to try and get something that will fit in with my denon hifi. at the same time ,try and get one with speakers so it can be used elsewhere if needed.:)
    the 201 looks like it's on the money ,if it's at the 200mark.

anyone have any trouble connecting a roberts wm201 to 2FM ?

Advertisement