Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Euroz or Euro ??

• 05-12-2006 2:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

[rant]

Right I'm feckin sick of this "Euroz" sh!t, everywhere I go I hear it, I can't even turn on the radio and there is some English twat advertising some pine furniture in "Euroz" :mad:

Who decided that we could pluralize the word "Euro" ? When it was implemented the Euro was designed for European use and seeing as each language pluralizes words differently it was decided that "Euro" was the pluralization of the word "Euro", ie. One Euro and Two Euro etc..

[/rant]

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

Because we're not French?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

Herez Herez

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭eirmail

I know that really does my head in. I notice that some people do the same with "quid" . I always say 1 quid, 2 quid ,5 quid . I have heard people saying 2 quids . "Quids" That really pisses me off

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,682 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Yeah this annoys me too. I always say euro, 2 euro, etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

You can bitch all you want but its singly called eg 1euro and the rest is 2euros 500euros 1million euros.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

Its yo-yo's. Right! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

Someones having a bad day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Euros is bad enough, the French regularly use centimes for cent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

KTRIC wrote:
    seeing as each language pluralizes words differently it was decided that "Euro" was the pluralization of the word "Euro", ie. One Euro and Two Euro etc
    No it wasn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

yodayoyo.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 743 ✭✭✭Mad Dog

petes wrote:
    Someones having a bad day.

Reckonz so :D:D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Steyr wrote:
    You can bitch all you want but its singly called eg 1euro and the rest is 2euros 500euros 1million euros.
    Well then can you explain to us why it says "2 Euro" on a 2 Euro coin and not "2 Euros"?

No further questions for this witness M'lord.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭carpenoctem

This used to annoy me too (and hey people it IS true that Euro is the plural and there is no such thing as Euros), until I realised that Swedish people pronounce it "Evro". So I say, at least we know how to pronounce it!!! :D

*Just let me add that the correct Swedish pronounciation would be Euro just as in English, so I'm not actually picking on a language, they ARE pronouncing it wrong... ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Steyr wrote:

you sir are wrong

euros is as stupid as sheeps or fishes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 950 ✭✭✭Feral Mutant

Steyr wrote:
    No, just no.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linguistic_issues_concerning_the_euro#English
    http://ec.europa.eu/economy_finance/euro/faqs/spelling_en.pdf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Adam

Steyr wrote:
    Huge fan of blatant stupidity here, bravo sir, bravo!

/me applauds

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Smellyirishman

http://www.evertype.com/standards/euro/chicago.html

Euro legally.

Euros in English speech.

Personally, I go for Euro.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,848 ✭✭✭✭28064212

daveirl wrote:
    This post has been deleted.
    Sure you can pluralise it any way you want, you'd just be wrong. If you're going to be wrong, do it with some style. My personal favourite is 'eurii'

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Eurons is better!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,682 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Here's a Kevin Myers article, criticizing euro as the plural:

http://www.evertype.com/standards/euro/kevin.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 Mini_Moose

This used to annoy me too (and hey people it IS true that Euro is the plural and there is no such thing as Euros), until I realised that Swedish people pronounce it "Evro". So I say, at least we know how to pronounce it!!! :D

*Just let me add that the correct Swedish pronounciation would be Euro just as in English, so I'm not actually picking on a language, they ARE pronouncing it wrong... ;)

the correct pronunciation isn't the same as the english. unless of course they just decide to switch to english in the middle of the sentence for that one word and then continue on is swedish after :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

i think i heard that although euro was the plural, a while after the euro came in someone somewhere decided that euros would in fact be acceptable also....dunno though.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Adam

i think i heard that although euro was the plural, a while after the euro came in someone somewhere decided that euros would in fact be acceptable also....dunno though.....
    There is just too much wrong with that post...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Ah the plural euro debate again! Where is Yoda when you need him?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

It's 'Euros'. Anyone who says '20 Euro' is a filthy communist.

Does anyone know how it's supposed to be written in Irish?

Mossy Monk wrote:
    euros is as stupid as sheeps or fishes

Saying '20 euro' is as stupid as saying '20 pound' or '20 penny'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭DaBreno

Here's a Kevin Myers article, criticizing euro as the plural:
    Myers?! Well then, EuroS it is!

Cake Fiend wrote:

I used to say 20 pound the whole time. You'd hardly say 'can I get a lend of a 20 pounds note?'

Pennies and cents is a different argument altogether.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭magpie

Euro

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

connundrum wrote:
    Pennies and cents is a different argument altogether.

I don't see why.

Just as any educated person wouldn't ask for '20 pound to buy a CD', you wouldn't say 'can I have 60 penny please mammy', would you? But people seem to think it's normal to ask for '60 cent' or pay '40 Euro' for a game.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

I's pluralise's every's word's

• Closed Accounts Posts: 440 ✭✭Angels

connundrum wrote:
    Its yo-yo's. Right! ;)

Defo yo-yo's :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

You say toMAYto, I toMAHto.

In everyday speech, either is correct, and to push one over the other down someone else's throat is the height of arrogance.

*Personally*, I use euros and cents, but if someone wants to use euro and cent, good luck to them.

What did annoy me was that on the radio (it's been corrected (changed back) since), was that the finance bit on the news talked about US dollars and cent (instead of centS).

If you're talking legal documents etc it would seem that euro is the "proper" plural, so when I write a cheque, I use euro/cent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Cake Fiend wrote:

no

plural of Euro is Euro
    plural of Pound is Pounds
    plural of Penny is Pennies

saying 20 Euro is perfectly acceptable. saying 20 Euros will get you a one way ticket to hell

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 950 ✭✭✭Feral Mutant

Someone needs to put up a poll.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Not sure where the Euroz came from but I will always use Euro's as using Euro as the plural just sounds wrong.

Cake Fiend wrote:
    Just as any educated person wouldn't ask for '20 pound to buy a CD', you wouldn't say 'can I have 60 penny please mammy', would you? But people seem to think it's normal to ask for '60 cent' or pay '40 Euro' for a game.

All those years of college were wasted on me :( Mammy gave me the 20 pound though :)

The bottom line is, I don't really care how one is to pronounce and/or spell the plural of euro and cent. As long as I have a few of each in my pocket I'll be happy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭phantom_lord

It's either euro, or yoyos.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,348 ✭✭✭radiospan

Euro.

Needs a poll though (to know for definate!) :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Why does it matter. Euro, euros, cent, cents. I'm sure people in other Euro countries pluralise Euro in different ways, la Euro or le Euro style (not any particular language).

One thing you don't do, is put an apostrophe in! :mad: Euro, correct. Euros, may be incorrect, but acceptable. Euro's, wrong in so many ways.

It's never yoyo/yoyos/yoyo's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭fireblade1

robinph wrote:
    Not sure where the Euroz came from but I will always use Euro's as using Euro as the plural just sounds wrong.

Just to be awkward Euro's is possessive not plural

kathy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

I know one thing, I'd like to have a lot more of them whatever the fook you like to call them.*

*euro is what I'd say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,848 ✭✭✭✭28064212

The European Union created the Euro currency. I'm pretty sure that gives them all naming and grammatical rights. If the 'euros' brigade come up with their own continent-spanning currency, they can call it whatever they want

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,985 ✭✭✭Big Ears

I say Euro , and admittedly Euros does annoy me .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

€uro for me. No zed or ess.
    Doesn't bother me what other people use...adverts annoy me in general no matter how properly worded they are...

Death to any halfwit who uses "yo-yo" in everyday life as a monetary term.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

They're "pounds" (Or punts). To hell with your filthy Eurotrash!
    :p

robinph wrote:
    But saying "Euro is" is correct?!
    :(
    People make me cry sometimes.
    "Euros" does annoy me as well.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

fireblade1 wrote:
    Just to be awkward Euro's is possessive not plural

kathy
    So long as I possessive a lot of them it's all good.

But it does need the S to sound right in English.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,217 ✭✭✭wba88

Euro.

I hate it when other ppl (americans do it a lot) call it euroz!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement