Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Euroz or Euro ??

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

I'm still not happy with "the". its "ye" you ignorant philistines :D

that said i work in foreign exchange and all the customers ask for euros not euro when changing their money. popular use beats official titles any day :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

robinph wrote:
    Not sure where the Euroz came from but I will always use Euro's as using Euro as the plural just sounds wrong.
    Well whatever it is, it's definately not "Euro's"!!

Plural of Euro = Euro, but i catch myself saying "Euros" quite often also...must get out of that habit as i do know it's wrong

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

jor el wrote:
    Why does it matter. Euro, euros, cent, cents. I'm sure people in other Euro countries pluralise Euro in different ways, la Euro or le Euro style (not any particular language).

I don't know any other country that pluralises the word 'Euro' and didn't know the Irish did until I saw this thread.
    IMHO those who decided to apply the word to our currency get to decide how it's used. Just like other English words, it's not exactly up for debate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭Fraggle Rocks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭wow sierra

It's 'Euros'. Anyone who says '20 Euro' is a filthy communist.

Does anyone know how it's supposed to be written in Irish?

Its euro as Gaeilge also - 20 euro - fiche euro. Fierce handy too - with pounds you had to worry about putting in "b"s and "h"s in the plural and it was harder.

As all poor grammer students know, what is acceptable in spoken language is not in written. Euro is the correct plural in every EU language - but come on ye can say what ye like.

I tend to use euros when things are dear - fifty f**ing euros!!! and euro if its cheap - only fifty euro. Not a strict rule but it works for me!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,503 ✭✭✭✭jellie

Cake Fiend wrote:
    But people seem to think it's normal to ask for '60 cent' or pay '40 Euro' for a game.

it IS normal.

All this "yoyo" stuff wrecked my head though :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭Fraggle Rocks

sar84 wrote:
    it IS normal.

jewros

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

sar84 wrote:
    it IS normal.

just out of interest who the **** started this "yoyo" nonsense:confused: ive never heard anyone use that phrase in real life, is it just a media fabrication they hope'll catch on? (bit like "tiger robbery", ****ing stupid. hostage robery would be a better description. prowling like a tiger my bollocks:rolleyes: )

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Pretty much every language listed on this page has different spellings for the plural depending on the rules for each language. The only case where the standard 'rules' for the language are not followed is in English because someone in Ireland read the wrong meaning from what was written in a document. Even Esperanto manages to get a different spelling for the singular and the plural, and no one even speaks that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

just out of interest who the **** started this "yoyo" nonsense:confused:
    Ringtone ads I believe. At least that's where I first heard it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

Yakuza wrote:
    What did annoy me was that on the radio (it's been corrected (changed back) since), was that the finance bit on the news talked about US dollars and cent (instead of centS).

I'm glad I didn't hear that, because if I did, my eyes would have rolled so hard that I'd currently be blind.
    Mossy Monk wrote:
    no

plural of Euro is Euro

No.

Plural of Euro is Euros.
    Plural of Cent is Cents.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

'Official practice followed in English-language EU legislation is to use the words euro and cent as both singular and plural. [1] This practice originally arose out of legislation intended to ensure that the banknotes were uncluttered with a string of plurals (as the Soviet ruble notes were). Because the s-less plurals had become "enshrined" in EU legislation, the Commission decided to retain those plurals in English in legislation even while allowing natural plurals in other languages, but the Directorate-General for Translation strongly recommends that in all material generated by the Commission intended for the general public, the "natural plurals", euros and cents be used.

As the euro was being adopted in the Republic of Ireland, however, the Department for Finance decided to use the word euro as both the singular and plural forms of the currency, and because Irish broadcasters took their cue from the Department, the "legislative plurals" tend to also be used on the news and in much Irish advertising. This has the effect of reinforcing the s-less plurals, though many advertisers (particularly those in the United Kingdom) prefer the plurals euros and cents.

A number of people in Ireland prefer the -s plurals, and at the time the s-less plurals were introduced, at least some complained that the EU ought not attempt to change English grammar. However, s-less plurals were already used in English for several existing currencies, such as the yen, won, Rand and baht, so this was not in fact a new concept in English grammar. People who have become accustomed to what they hear on daily television and radio often use the s-less plurals, which they also see written on the notes and coins. While usage in Ireland is disputed, common usage in the rest of the English-speaking world is to use the natural plurals. The media in the UK prefer euros and cents as the plural forms. Broadcasts of currency exchange rates outside of the European Union tend to use the -s plural, with NPR in the United States and CBC in Canada being two examples.

Any number of rationales were subsequently applied to explain why the s-less plural might be acceptable, but these are generally folk etymologies. Long-standing plurals in -s for currencies that have singular forms ending in -o, like pesos and escudos (and indeed the plural of the marsupials known as euros), are relevant when considering the plural of the euro currency. While it is true that s-less plurals exist in English for some other currencies, this usage is not the reason that the s-less plural for the euro was introduced. When (as noted above) people initially complained that the EU had no business changing English grammar, they were certainly not taking these unusual plurals as "natural"; they expected 5 euros and balked at 5 euro.

Ultimately, the euro/euros split demonstrate the strong desire to use the generalisable 's' for plural rule in English. It appears a strong public campaign would be needed to enforce a general usage of the s-less plural.

In Ireland, the transfer of the slang term quid from the Irish pound to the euro is complete, and many people use it. Also, fiver and tenner (originally for 5 pound- and 10 pound-notes respectively) have carried over as reference to euro notes, and grand for a thousand of any currency is also commonly used.

The term "euro-cent" is sometimes used in countries (such as USA, Canada, Australia) that also have "cent" as a subcurrency, to distinguish them from their local coin. This usage is not official, though is perhaps understandable, given that the coins themselves have the words "EURO" and "CENT" displayed on the common side. The terms "eurodollar", which commonly refers to US dollar deposits outside the US, or "euro dollar" which is the spoken form of the EUR/USD currency pair in the foreign exchange markets, have occasionally been used confusingly to refer to the euro in other parts of the world, particularly non-EU countries such as the United States, Canada and Australia.'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭Dr_Teeth

I've always pronounced the plural form of Euro as 'Euros' as that is how it is pronounced, with an 's' in the English language.

The reason that most people in this country don't pronounce it properly is either because a) they're idiots or b) they went along with the retards in our government who decided to pronounce the plural form the same way as the french, germans etc do when the currency was introduced.

Ask an English speaker from any other part of the world what the plural of Euro is and they will quite obviously say 'Euros' cos that's what the plural form is in English, just like Dollar-Dollars Pound-Pounds and so on.

If you'd like more info on this have a look at:

http://www.evertype.com/standards/euro/

Teeth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Oh dear another moan thread.......... *shakes head*

They're Eurons -- this thread can be closed now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

connundrum wrote:
    I used to say 20 pound the whole time. You'd hardly say 'can I get a lend of a 20 pounds note?'

I used to say 20 pound or 20 pounds (and euro/euros) pretty much equally, never think of it really just say what flows off the tounge. I would never say "20 pounds note", and I doubt anybody who says euros would say "I found a 20 euros note", but could say" "I found 20 euros"

It is not like it sounds really wrong to say euros in many cases, I think it sticks out more when some people say euro when I probably wouldnt have noticed them saying euros in the same phrase.
    connundrum wrote:
    Pennies and cents is a different argument altogether.
    Pennies yeah, but cents is the exact same argument. In euroland it is meant to be cent. It is probably more likely to be called cents since you heard it so much over the years from the US.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

Euro? Pah. now groats, theres a real currency.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

my two cents - anyone who uses 'z' for plurals should be taken out the back and shot. No trial, no hearing, no explanations, no pleading. Just shot.

First person to go would be the Marketing Manager for Heinz 'Beanz' (I officially boycott their products - they don't deserve my money if they can't spell properly!)

Apart from that, it's Euro, not Euros (only in speech, never in writing!).

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Den_M

I say euro, adding an 's' sounds makes it sound like we use tiddlywinks for currency. That said...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 950 ✭✭✭Feral Mutant

galah wrote:
    I officially boykott their products - they don't deserve my money if they can't spell properly!
    My two cent - anyone who uses 'k' for boycott should be taken out the back and shot. No trial, no hearing, no explanations, no pleading. Just shot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

did anyone use a 'k' in boycott?

:D

(and besides, English is not my native language, I'm allowed to make mistakes...Not so the Heinz people ;-))

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭Kwekubo

robinph wrote:
    Even Esperanto manages to get a different spelling for the singular and the plural, and no one even speaks that.
    Well yes they do actually, but tio estas alia rakonto... :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 950 ✭✭✭Feral Mutant

galah wrote:
    did anyone use a 'k' in boycott?

:D
    Damn edit function. Edited after I posted, you can all see that.
    I don't mean to nitpick but it's that or have people think I'm paranoid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

Dr_Teeth wrote:
    I've always pronounced the plural form of Euro as 'Euros' as that is how it is pronounced, with an 's' in the English language.

The reason that most people in this country don't pronounce it properly is either because a) they're idiots or b) they went along with the retards in our government who decided to pronounce the plural form the same way as the french, germans etc do when the currency was introduced.

Ask an English speaker from any other part of the world what the plural of Euro is and they will quite obviously say 'Euros' cos that's what the plural form is in English, just like Dollar-Dollars Pound-Pounds and so on.

If you'd like more info on this have a look at:

http://www.evertype.com/standards/euro/

Teeth.
    in fact, when i hold a 2 euro coin in my hand, i call it 2 euro because that's what it says on the coin. when i hold a 50 cent coin, i call it 50 cent because that's what it says on the coin. and have a guess what it says on all the banknotes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Which would be consistent to everything else.

You can have 10 punts, or a 10 punt note.
    You can have 10 pounds or a 10 pound note.

10 pound note would define the singular object however you would have in fact 10 pounds in currency.

So 2 euro coin and having 2 euros is both correct. You wouldn't say for example "I have 2 2 euro coins" (well rare) more likely "I have 4 euros".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Hobbes wrote:
    So 2 euro coin and having 2 euros is both correct. You wouldn't say for example "I have 2 2 euro coins" (well rare) more likely "I have 4 euros".

Or you would say 'I have 4 euro' , depending on if you use the correct plural or the more traditional one to the English language .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

euro all the way

If euros bothers you then please don't go near Henry St or Moore St in Dublin for the next few weeks.
    The stall sellers definitly don't use euro

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭joebhoy1916

Yoyo's all the way..

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Big Ears wrote:
    Or you would say 'I have 4 euro' , depending on if you use the correct plural or the more traditional one to the English language .
    But the correct form would be Euros by following the normal form of the English language. The only time where the plural of Euro is supposed to be used is in EU legal documents so that they don't have to go to the bother or writing it out 25 times each time they mention money and it specifically mentions that the local language form of pluralising should be used in each language. The Euro format that RTE are pushing so that half of you now seem to think it is the correct form won't last long once the UK joins the currency though I guess.

Oh well, looks like we'll be stuck with people wrongly dropping the s for a while yet then. :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Not everything that is pluralised has to change, and, euro sounds better.

euro sounds better.
    But only because the wrong way of saying the word has been forced onto us for the last few years that it now almost sounds correct. Do you not remember how wrong it sounded when they first started saying it without the S and that it would initially have been an effort to say the word without it?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

robinph wrote:
    The Euro format that RTE are pushing so that half of you now seem to think it is the correct form won't last long once the UK joins the currency though I guess.

Yeah like that'll ever happen...

What have RTÉ got to do with any of this? Euro is the de facto although both are acceptable...

Wertz wrote:
    Yeah like that'll ever happen...

What have RTÉ got to do with any of this? Euro is the de facto although both are acceptable...
    They are the ones responsible for convincing people that Euro is the correct form of saying the word.

If they were to start using the Euro in the Rovers, Vic or whatever the one in Yorkshire is called then it would soon change the way that it is said over here, but that will never happen anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

robinph wrote:
    They are the ones responsible for convincing people that Euro is the correct form of saying the word.

..............which it is , I fail to see a problem here .

According to Jean Schaeyvaerts from the press office of the European Commission directorate in charge of monetary policy, “euro” is the plural form to be used in legal texts, but “euros” is perfectly correct in everyday speech.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

connundrum wrote:
    You'd hardly say 'can I get a lend of a 20 pounds note?'

True. But in this case, pond is the adjective and note is the noun, so pound is correct ie 20 euro note is perfectly correct.

In my opinion, saying euro instead of euros makes people sound uneducated. If the Greeks call their cents 'lepta', why can't we say 'cents'.

On the notes, where it says euro (ie. 20 EURO EYPO), the euro is merely stating the currency, as with on the coins. It wasn't pluralised because of all of the different languages having different pluralisation rules. Simple as that. EVERY other country in Europe uses their own language's/languages' correct pluralisation. Why can't we? It really annoys me.
    wow sierra wrote:
    Its euro as Gaeilge also - 20 euro - fiche euro. Fierce handy too - with pounds you had to worry about putting in "b"s and "h"s in the plural and it was harder.

Yeah, but in Irish one always counts in the singular anyway, ie fear amháin, beirt fhear.
    And, for the sake of pedanticism, her euro = a n-euro, so its not free from agreements.

Does anyone know the correct plural for euro as Gaeilge?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 279 ✭✭Aoife-FM104

Too many replies, maybe someone has already said this, but...

When they say, "You must call it 'Euro'," what they mean is you cannot call it pounds or dollars or chickens etc.

They don't mean "You cannot pluralise it."

Advertisement