Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Build

Options
  • 05-12-2006 3:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 844 ✭✭✭

Just built my first rig yesterday, thanks to everybody who helped on these boards. Everything seems to be fine I had no problems at all with the build or installation of the software.

Two quick questions though.. the cpu(6600) is running idle at 39c I am using a zalman 9500led cooler..does this sound right?

Secondly are there any guides on overclocking as I am a complete newbie that wants to start...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭uberpixie

wingnut32 wrote:
    Just built my first rig yesterday, thanks to everybody who helped on these boards. Everything seems to be fine I had no problems at all with the build or installation of the software.

Two quick questions though.. the cpu(6600) is running idle at 39c I am using a zalman 9500led cooler..does this sound right?

Secondly are there any guides on overclocking as I am a complete newbie that wants to start...

Temp for the CPU is fine. Fan cooler is fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭hopeful

There are loads of good forums out there...this being one of them :)

Try browsing these ::

XtremeSystems Forums

Bit-Tech OC Forum

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 844 ✭✭✭wingnut32

Dabbled with Uguru last night, is it simply a case of increasing the fsb speed to overclock the cpu or do I have to mess with the volts, also where do the ram timings come in to this, how do I know what my timings are??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭hopeful

TBH I'm an AMD fanboy hence any advice I give could be wrong :)

Read up on some forums specific to your mainboard and you will find loads of info from folks who have clocked the boards/chips the same as yours. I'm at work ATM so don't have my links handy but google IS your friend.

have been slowly overclocking the cpu, but when I raise the FSB to 340mhz the system freezes, I havent changed the voltage...I thought these chips were highly overclockable???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭uberpixie

wingnut32 wrote:
    have been slowly overclocking the cpu, but when I raise the FSB to 340mhz the system freezes, I havent changed the voltage...I thought these chips were highly overclockable???

Overclocking depends on the CPU, the type of ram and motherboard you bought.

Some motherboards and ram are better at overclocking than others.

Some parts from the same model/series of motherboard/ram/cpu overclock better than others. Not all parts are created equal and milage will vary :-)

Post up what mobo and ram you have and those more knowledgeable about overclocking will no doubt help.

abit aw9d max
    corsair xms pc2-6400 cl3

Also getting worried about temps, under max load using orthos the temp is at 60c at 2.7. Took off the zalman refitted it temps the same????????

Advertisement