Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

3G / Vodafone Internet Card Question

• 05-12-2006 3:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,424 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I bought a new laptop and now my internet card wont fit it. i cant afford the time and effort it takes to get the laptop back to dell. Vodafone wont upgrade me. I was told that if I get a 3g phone and put the data sim card into the phone and connect the phone to my laptop it will be the exact same as the mobile connect card.

I have found a guy selling a Motorola V1050 and a Sony K608i, both of which he says are 3G. Will this work? Will it be easy enough to set up?

Cheers!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 247 ✭✭wirelessdude

have you got a voda account manager...if you do talk to him about getting a USB Modem instead

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

I think it's a shame that Vodafone still don't do ExpressCard data cards in Ireland, when they've been selling them for months in other markets, Germany coming to mind. There, you get an ExpressCard with a PCMCIA adapter, so it will work in both new and old laptops.

That being said, the USB modem is a good solution, especially as it means you won't have to worry in the future -- it will work with any computer, PC or Mac, as long as it has a USB port. At least if you're using Windows XP or Mac OS X, not so sure about Linux. :D

Get onto Vodafone about exchanging your card for a USB modem. At the very least, they should be able to do it for €129, if not for free or at a more subsidised price (assuming you return your current card in good condition, that is).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,424 ✭✭✭joejoem

I think it's a shame that Vodafone still don't do ExpressCard data cards in Ireland, when they've been selling them for months in other markets, Germany coming to mind. There, you get an ExpressCard with a PCMCIA adapter, so it will work in both new and old laptops.

That being said, the USB modem is a good solution, especially as it means you won't have to worry in the future -- it will work with any computer, PC or Mac, as long as it has a USB port. At least if you're using Windows XP or Mac OS X, not so sure about Linux. :D

Get onto Vodafone about exchanging your card for a USB modem. At the very least, they should be able to do it for €129, if not for free or at a more subsidised price (assuming you return your current card in good condition, that is).

Hi,

I have been through all of this with vodafone and they wont do any of this. They said I will have to pay the full amount (200 and something euro) and a cancelation fee for each month that I have left in the contract which is 19 euro a month for fourteen months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

I suppose ye could always fly to Spain and pick up the USB modem up on Spanish pre-pay, without a contract, for €169. In Spain, it's €0 with a contract, and €169 on pre-pay.

In Ireland, it's €129 with a contract, and not even available on pre-pay!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Or try EBay .. .

• Advertisement
Advertisement