Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

New Car: Mondeo v Vectra

Options
  • 05-12-2006 3:58pm
    Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,683 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Now before anybody says anything its a company motor, as i'm well aware that the choices won't be viewed with much respect here, and no i'm not a rep :D.

Anyhow up until last week I thought it was going to be an Opel Vectra Club 1.6 which has AC and cruise control which are the main things I have been looking for. Now I've been told that I can also get a Mondeo Platinum 1.8 which has slightly better specs such as a leather steering wheel and MP3 compatibility along with reversing sensors to name a few. tbh I favour the Vectra for looks, but like the spec of the Mondeo. What do you think?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

I'd buy the Mondeo, Opels are terrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

Mondeo, no question. It is a much better car than the Vectra in just about every way.

You should go to Ford and Opel dealers and get a test drive of both. Whatever about other people's opinions you are the one that has to live with the decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

The new Mondeo model is due out any minute now isn't it?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

The new one will have a 1.6 option too I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

I like the looks of the Mondeo myself, but surely they could stretch beyond the Platinum, with the discounts available on fleet and the fact that it's due replacement(probably before you even take delivery)???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭OldmanMondeo

I have driven both models recently and would advise you to go for the Mondeo. It feels and handles better on the road than the Vectra. The inside styling is much better than the Vectra.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,683 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Well i'm moving up from a bog standard Golf so I was already being a bit cheeky by asking for the Vectra. I've also been told that the order is happening in the next week so it will probably be a very late 06.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Since it is a company car then depreciation is not going to be a concerning factor for you as both cars have terrible resale values especially when bought new.

The new Mondeo is just around the corner, if you can wait until the new year then I would go for that model. Even if you can only get a 06 old model Mondeo I would still choose it over the Vectra. The Vectra is just unloved in Ireland.

There should be big fleet discounts on the old Mondeo now as Ford will be trying to shift as many as possible before the new model hits the showroom, you should be able to get some nice options thrown in too such as a cd changer. Make sure that the Platnum model has the 1.8 (125bhp) Zetec engine though as the older 1.8 (110bhp) engine is a dog in the Mondeo.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,683 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Ok, decision made. tbh I had more or less ruled out the Mondeo but after the amount of good points here I decided it deserved a shot. I checked out both cars yesterday and had a short test drive. I didn't really find out anything dramatic from both drives, but i'm sure I would over a longer drive.

Anyway, I have decided to stick with the Vectra for a number of reasons. Firstly I prefer the look of it from the outside and think the Mondeo is showing its age a bit. If I could get the new model next year it might be a different story but its happening straight away so time is short. Secondly I hated the inside of the Mondeo, it'll probably sound silly, but inside I feel the centre console is too low and exposed and feel the chairs are the same. I like to feel enclosed in the drivers seat and I have that in the Golf now and I think its similar enough in the Vectra. Lastly as well, a couple of neighbours have Mondeos and most other people in the company have them as well, so it'll be something different.

Anyhow thanks for your advice people, i'll post back when I get it and let you know if i've made a big mistake and you can all say 'I told you so' :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭furtzy

junkyard wrote:
    I'd buy the Mondeo, Opels are terrible.

Have you owned any Opels and what problems have you had to form that opinion?

Anyway if you could stretch to the 1.8 Vectra I would. The 1.6 while a very good engine struggles with the weight. Had on e when my own Vectra was being serviced and it certainly struggled when trying to overtake. The new 1.8 has varaible valve timing (140bhp) and reports are good so far

• Advertisement

Can't get the 1.8 unfortunately, but my 1.4 Golf was dog slow so believe me when I say that this will be a world of difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

It won't. The 1.6 vectra is terrible. I had one as a rental and I had to accelerate very hard to keep up with a friend who was driving in front of me in a Laguna

Compared to a Laguna I can understand, but the 1.4 golf has a top speed of 105mph (Vectra 120mph) and a 0-60 in 13.9 (Vectra 12.6). As I said, I know its not great but compared to what I had it will make a difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭furtzy

Its not as if you're going to race it so I'm sure it'll suffice for your needs. The 06 model Vectra does handle very well though and is a comfortable drive which is probably more important in a company car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

Fine make the wrong decision then.. but don't come back here complaining when you realise what you've done:D

To be fair if you've driven both and you prefer the vectra then go for it, you don't have to worry about maintenance, depreciation etc so in that sense you're grand

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Onkle51 wrote:
    Fine make the wrong decision then.. but don't come back here complaining when you realise what you've done:D

To be fair if you've driven both and you prefer the vectra then go for it, you don't have to worry about maintenance, depreciation etc so in that sense you're grand
    exactly, its not his car, so it doesn't matter

I had a Mondeo last week in the UK for a hire car for 2 days (1.8 LX)
    Hated it...couldn't wait to hand it back.

Would not like to have a Vectra if its worse than that...maybe the better spec Mondeo is a nicer car to own, but the suspension was too hard for me and I normally drive a 156...:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭BrianD3

It was the right decision to pick the car that you liked the most. When people say "car X is sh1t and car Y is great"
    a) it's usually an exaggeration, even if one car is better than the other the difference is usually a lot smaller than people would have you believe.
    b) they're usually talking solely about reliability. A car could be terrible in every way aside from reliability and people will still say what a great car it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

choice between a Mondeo or Vectra? You're not a Garda are ya?! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Walvis Ridge

Mondeo all the way. Fabulous handling car, no car in its class can match it for driver dynamics, to get anywhere near as good a chasis under you then it's BMW, Audi etc.

People may think I am mad but they are a great car for the money. The original chasis was great and has only gotten better. Look even he agrees!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ORLiqaq4enc. :-)

Maybe next time.

Good luck with the Vectra though!

K
    :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

Even James Bond drives the 2007 Mondeo...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭Skyuser

Don't Get Opel!

I had an Opel. Caused me misery.

I now have a mondeo. It's high spec, comfortable and fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭el diablo

pity the new VW Passat is not an option. they're GREAT...:D

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

el diablo wrote:
    pity the new VW Passat is not an option. they're GREAT...:D

Not as great as VW would like you to think. A number of people have had silly problems with the new Passat.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭el diablo

bazz26 wrote:
    Not as great as VW would like you to think. A number of people have had silly problems with the new Passat.
    like what?

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

el diablo wrote:
    like what?

From a guy at work who has a 05 new shape Passat:
    • ECU error codes appearing for no reason. ECU reprogramed by dealer.
    • TDi engine suddenly looses power or response for no apparent reason. Could not be diagnosed as the problem typically did not happen when the dealer had the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

el diablo wrote:
    like what?

Grandfathers 06 Passat:
    1. Electric handbrake doesn't always release
    2. TDi cuts out regularly
    3. Gearbox a bit imprecise.

I would have probably picked a Passat hands down if it was in the list, but its interesting too hear of the problems its had.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭Skyuser

ford-mondeo.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Sam_irl

Simply put German engineering is far superior in my opinion.
    I have had Ford and Opel but I have to say for class, quality and comfort I would have to say Vectra. It's a sexy car, with good style and comfort.
    Engines however are no comparison to Jap cars.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gyppo

Had a Vectra once = Misery. No more Opels for me I'm afraid.

Now on my 2nd Mondeo, and I smile every time I drive it.

btw, the quote about German engineering being far superior is an outdated and exagerated cliche.

Advertisement