Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UTV cancellation fee

Options
  • 05-12-2006 4:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭

I have a couple of questions.
    I cancelled my connection with UTV last week.when they wrote back I was told I would have to pay a cancellation fee of €30. I was wondering if this is normal? do all internet providers do this? Also when i called a few other companies they said UTV might block the ports for a few weeks after i leave them so i wont have internet access.Are they able to this?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Are you cancelling before the minimum subscription is up?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

This is easily answered by checking your terms and conditions. Unless you are with UTV for a long time now you are due to pay an ´escape fee` no matter how long you have been with them. UTV introduced this ridiculous but obviously lucrative policy some time ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Sconsey

Hi,
    The T's & C's in the contract for UTV do state there is a cancellation charge, they kind of imply that the charge is for the modem that they supplied when you signed up.

By the way, it would be nice if you let us know (in this thread maybe?) how you get on switching broadband providers, I have heard it is a bit of a nightmare and could leave you without any connection for a long time....I think you should ring Eircom and ask for a DSL Data Transfer Form (or something like that, they should know), you get hooked up with Eircom before you cancel your other broadband and that might remove the downtime. Not sure if this will work but would be very interested to hear how you get on whatever you do....

Sconsey

Sconsey wrote:
    Hi,
    The T's & C's in the contract for UTV do state there is a cancellation charge, they kind of imply that the charge is for the modem that they supplied when you signed up.

Sconsey

The UTV terms and conditons are at http://u.tv/utvclicksilver/tandc.asp

There is no kind of implication at all! UTV have a cancellation charge which has absolutely nothing to do with the return of the modem.

They expect the modem back and reserve the right to hold on to your line until you do so.
    16.4 Upon termination for any reason, you will be responsible for returning the Creative modem and microfilters back to UTV Internet at the following address: UTV Internet, Unit 10, The Stables, Portmarnock, Co Dublin at your expense. A Voyager Modem shall be returned to TNS Distribution Ltd., Unit 5 Keypoint Business Park, Rosemount, Ballycoolin Road, Blanchardstown, Dublin 11, Ireland at your expense. Failure to return the modem and microfilters within 14 days of the effective date of termination shall result in UTV Internet debiting €40.00 from your Bank Account/Credit Card for the equipment and you hereby expressly consent to such debit. The line will not be ceased until the modem is returned to the appropriate destination. Upon receipt of your modem, UTV Internet will cease your service with our supplier.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭chop^chop

Sconsey wrote:
    Hi,

By the way, it would be nice if you let us know (in this thread maybe?) how you get on switching broadband providers, I have heard it is a bit of a nightmare and could leave you without any connection for a long time....I think you should ring Eircom and ask for a DSL Data Transfer Form (or something like that, they should know), you get hooked up with Eircom before you cancel your other broadband and that might remove the downtime. Not sure if this will work but would be very interested to hear how you get on whatever you do....

Sconsey
    my connection with UTV expires this friday 22nd, i had expected to be without broadband until after christmas, but Eircom were very helpful and have everything set up for the connection to start with them immediately.They even arranged a modem for me to pick up because it would have taken to long in he post.the only problem i have now is my PC has no ethernet connection, eircom said i could get either a network card or a wireless adapter which is a bit more expensive.
    any ideas which would be best/easiest to setup?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Ethernet Cards are very cheap and get be got from any PC/electrical outlet
    Ethernet card would be €20 max and a wireless stick is about €40 or so.

EDIT:Wireless is easier as it goes into a USB port but the Wireless part of the modem would be trickier. Ethernet cards involve inserting the card into an internal slot in the machine but the Eircom conection would be more or less instant once you install from the CD.

Yes if your modem/router is within easy reach of the pc then the ethernet card would be the better option.

Windows xp should pick it up so there should be no need for installation of a driver.

Advertisement