Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

[news] Fenlon Resigns

• 05-12-2006 5:11pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭

Pat Fenlon has this afternoon resigned as manager of Shelbourne FC.

After a long as successful career as both a player and manager of Shelbourne Football Club, Pat Fenlon has decided to step down from his duties at the club.
    Speaking to the official club website, Pat said that that he was very reluctant to leave: " I've had a great time here at this club as both a player and manager. It was an absolute pleasure to work with all the staff, players, directors and fans at Tolka Park, but unfortunately I can't stay any longer."

Club CEO Ollie Byrne said to ShelsWeb: " On behalf of everyone at our club, we want to wish Pat all the best. We thank him wholeheartedly for all the success he has brought us and we are very sad to to lose him. He was a thorough professional to work with as a player, a union representative and a manager and he put a huge amount of work in behind the scenes here at Tolka Park, at all levels of the club, particularly in the schoolboy section."

http://www.shelbournefc.ie/news.php?id=538

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Can't say its a surprise, but still sad nonetheless. Farewell Pat, you've served us well. Best of luck in the future, so long as it doesn't affect us. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Shelbourne for relegation! Will all the players follow him to Derry?

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Dublin's Finest

Hmmm, I wonder where he's off to!?

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Dublin's Finest

He'll miss the euro, I'll tell you that for nothing.

:D

^Are you answering your own posts now? :p

Obviously off to Derry.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Fúck.

Des, given the start to your management career I'm sure your name will be all over the papers as a possible successor. Care to make any statements regarding your future?

I've already said enough.

Your first transfer could be kdjac.

Would he though?

He's not good enough.

well....he's not.

• Advertisement

Not with your new promotion we couldn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

seansouth wrote:
    He's not good enough.

well....he's not.

Couldnt afford me anyway.

kdjac

I feel sick.

Not that Fenlon has walked, that has been on the cards for months.

But because it looks like I'm watching the club falling apart at the seams.

One thing that is worrying me more than anything.

There was an agreement in place since July that if the players weren't paid on time again, then they'd be free agents. The players have not been paid on time after winning the league, some of them haven't been paid at all, and they can walk. But this :
    [Ollie]Byrne is apparently intent on fighting the matter in the hope of keeping the bulk of the club's championship side together.

Enough is enough.

The players weren't paid, there was an agreement in place, if that agreement has been reneged on, then accept it, let the players who want out to leave, get the club back to some kind of financial stability and move from there.

I am sick and tired of this crap, week-in week-out.

The club is great, keep it that way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

Fenlon is right to walk, and so are any of the players if they have not been paid.

But what I find amusing is that many of the posters here who so glibly "turn their back on the national team", or have "no interest" in it, because of the way the association is run, wholeheartedly support Shelbourne.

The club is a shambles.

But what I find amusing is that many of the posters here who so glibly "turn their back on the national team", or have "no interest" in it, because of the way the association is run, wholeheartedly support Shelbourne.

Do you suggest we turn our backs on Shelbourne or start supporting the national side?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    Do you suggest we turn our backs on Shelbourne or start supporting the national side?
    Do you consider yourself in the group that has no interest in the national side due to the way the association is run?

I suggest that those people that do drop the double standards.

I consider myself as someone who has very little interest in the national team due to the complete lack of support and interest the FAI have placed in our domestic game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

No point in making excuses. ;) Seriously though, it's impossible to just choose not to support your country because of this or that. Supporting a team is like a disease and you don't just decide one day that you don't care about that team.
    Very few Eircom league fans really support and follow the national team and it's the exact same in the UK and countries all over the world. Reading foot.ie and almost all those with a real interest in following the Irish don't support an EL team. Is there no room for 2 teams in most people's hearts? :)

I actually get stick as a Celtic fan when I say that Ireland comes first for me. They don't understand it at all. :) I can't bloody wait for tonights match so you can imagine how excited I get for an Ireland match.

Anyway, this has absolutely nothing to do with the topic... :o

btw - I despise the FAI as much as most but they're not going to stop me supporting my country. Again, I think that "lack of support" thing is trying to find an explaination for something you have no control over. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭SectionF

Have to say I'm no fan of Shelbourne and the whole moaning, writ-waving ethos that surrounds the club. But I'd still be sorry to see an age-old Irish football institution go to the wall.
    Still, didn't sound good last night, with Stuey Byrne almost talking about them in past tense, in very philosophical tones.
    On the international v league front, while I think it's just perverse not to support your country, I also think it's a charade putting out a team when we can't even support a league, and that on that basis we thoroughly deserved to be tanked by Cyprus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Shelbourne have gone down the exact same route that Shamrock Rovers went down in the late 80's - throwing money at winning the league but forgetting about the finances. I think they're in real trouble and they could struggle on and off the pitch next season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,982 ✭✭✭Big Ears

If Fenlon goes to Derry(which seems extremely likely) and can bring some good players with him from Shels , then I can't see anyone mounting a serious challenge to them next year .

Shelbourne will be happy if the club is still functioning and in the Premier division , Cork are on the slide and Drogheda won't improve enough to run Derry close imo .

Bohs will no doubt improve a lot but I can't see them being totally reformed in one season .

The transfer market is going to be especially interesting to watch this off season .

Shelbourne have gone down the exact same route that Shamrock Rovers went down in the late 80's - throwing money at winning the league but forgetting about the finances. I think they're in real trouble and they could struggle on and off the pitch next season.

They will struggle, thats for sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

If we even have a pitch to be on or off! :):(

back to the good old days of irish teams getting a spanking in the champions league qualifier.

After the week hes had Joe thats harsh.

Hasn't been the best of weeks for Shels either... :(

You learn to take the rough with the smooth when you're a Southampton fan, it all works in cycles.

Advertisement