Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Selling a car on eBay.........your 0.02 required....

Options
  • 05-12-2006 5:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭

I am trying to sell my father-in-law's car, and I need it out of my drive as a matter of priority, so am selling it (with his knowledge), well below the going rate.

So I thought I'd stick it up on eBay.ie. Jeez - is that long-winded, or what ? Because I do sell things on eBay every now and then, I use PayPal, but I can't seem NOT have the 'I accept PayPal' on my listing. And who'd use it to buy a car anyway?

So, who's btdt, and am I missing a trick - or, am I advertising in the wrong place anyway? Car is a 00 reg Peugeot 106, btw........

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

I put my car on eBay before. Absolutely no interest.

People in Ireland don't seem comfortable with buying cars on eBay.

You don't seem to see many things on there with local pickup in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

hey can i see the link for that ad cant find it on ebay?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

A waste of time tbh, if I was you I'd put it on carzone.ie or the Buy and Sell. What kind of car is it and how much do you want for it?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

Meh. I thought someone was giving away a car for 2 cents.

maidhc, I'll give you three cars for 2 cents if you want them, it would save me the trouble of taking them to the crusher.:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭NiSmO

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

junkyard wrote:
    maidhc, I'll give you three cars for 2 cents if you want them, it would save me the trouble of taking them to the crusher.:)

renaults? :D

Only joking, I'll get my coat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭eamon234

I've been using eBay for a few years now and even bought a few cars from the UK. The problem with buying in Ireland is that there is no backup - the NCT isn't worth a damn compared to the UK MOT and also the HPI system in Ireland is crap. In the UK you can get the whole history of the car - mileage checks, insurance claims, taxi register the whole lot - you just can't get that information reliably here. HPI don't even have a website and all you get from them is a finance check and while there is another website offering a similar service I have my doubts about the quality of their information.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Usually there are easier ways to sell cars in Ireland. Carzone, cbg, a sign in the back window of the car parked on a grass verg or even a notice in your local supermarket. So unless you have something absolutely nobody wants or have it seriously overpriced then you should be able to sell it.

The other side of the coin is I think that the preception that alot of people have of trying to sell a car on eBay is that maybe it attracts a wider audience but usually this is the wrong type of audience i.e. time wasters surfing the web, tyre kickers looking for giveaways, preditory conartists, etc. Alot of people don't want this hassel so tend to stick to the more straight forward methods.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭ongarite

Put the car up on adverts.ie, the buy and sell section of this website, preferably with some pics. Better than nothing and its free !!

• Advertisement

NiSmO wrote:
    This post has been deleted.
    A Rover 800, an Alfa 147 and a Ford Mondeo. All the good bits are gone I'm afraid they really are only scrap metal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

ongarite wrote:
    Put the car up on adverts.ie, the buy and sell section of this website, preferably with some pics. Better than nothing and its free !!

Shill...:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,988 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

galwaytt wrote:
    I am trying to sell my father-in-law's car, and I need it out of my drive as a matter of priority, so am selling it (with his knowledge), well below the going rate.QUOTE]

If you advertise at too low a cost people also won't buy as they'll think there is something wrong. Advertise at just people going rate and more people may call. You can always drop the price when bargining and both peope will think they are getting a deal:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 616 ✭✭✭BnA

bazz26 wrote:
    Usually there are easier ways to sell cars in Ireland. Carzone, cbg, a sign in the back window of the car parked on a grass verg or even a notice in your local supermarket. So unless you have something absolutely nobody wants or have it seriously overpriced then you should be able to sell it.

The other side of the coin is I think that the preception that alot of people have of trying to sell a car on eBay is that maybe it attracts a wider audience but usually this is the wrong type of audience i.e. time wasters surfing the web, tyre kickers looking for giveaways, preditory conartists, etc. Alot of people don't want this hassel so tend to stick to the more straight forward methods.

Agreed 100%

I tried to sell a few cars on eBay.ie during the year. Complete and utter waste of time. I got exactly what Bazz said. Time wasters who were surfing the web. I wasted time answering dumb a55ed questions from dumb a55es who had no intention of ever buying the car.

I wouldn't bother with Carzone either. It's a fine site, but not the place to sell a car like yours.

Best place to advertise a car like that is in the classified of a your local paper for a good price. Something like the Echo in Cork or the Post in Limerick. You will get enquiries from local based people who are genuinely looking for a car.

Advertisement