Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

.50 handguns-Why would you want to shoot one?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

You wouldn't see that happening with an air pistol...

I wonder how the others on the range reacted to that eejit dropping a loaded pistol behind them like that?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

I wonder how the others on the range reacted to that eejit dropping a loaded pistol behind them like that?

It appears to be a single shot break barrel, so once it's fired it's empty.

If the pistol in the video is overkill, how about the 45.70 derringer mentioned recently on another forum? This creation had the unfortunate feature of breaking the firer's wrist and/or puncturing the shooters forehead due to recoil.

Civ is right, it looks like a 'target pistol' (one shot) - if that was semi there would be no way near as much recoil!

Plus that vid looks fake

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Clare gunner

Looks like a single shot Thompson Contender all right.It could do with a vertical foregrip to control the recoil,[were such legal and not costly to do in the US.]Failing that, a sling affair that you can bear down on the recoil.
    Why do it??Cos they can?:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

It's a Thompson Center-Encore, chambered in .600 Nitro Express :eek:
    600nitromp2.jpg

It's owned/built by a guy who goes by 'Kamikazi' over on the nitroexpress.com forum.
    Here's a thread where he explains the whole thing-
    http://forums.nitroexpress.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=bigbores&Number=34889&Forum=All_Forums&Words=&Match=Entire%20Phrase&Searchpage=0&Limit=25&Old=1week&Main=34889&Search=true#Post34889

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭Babble

Ah the famous TC in .600 Nitro Express "lite load" video.

Heres some more on that beast
    Movie of the owner shooting
    http://home.comcast.net/~kudoo2/600_Nitro_lite_load_1040.MOV
    http://forums.nitroexpress.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=bigbores&Number=34889
    Yes, I survived, barely . . .

I've attached the info and video clips. If you have any questions or comments, feel free to contact me.

If you haven't already seen the images of the pistol, they are attached to a previous posting (6-25-05); just search under my User ID as "Kamikaze".

600 NITRO EXPRESS PISTOL ~
    Frame – Thompson Center-Encore Pistol, S.S., Rynite grip and forend
    Barrel - Van Horn-Encore, S.S., 17.25” (14.375”) straight bull, special S.S. muzzle brake
    Scope mount - SSK T’SOB, S.S. ¼ rib, 6-screws
    4 SSK S.S. scope rings
    Scope – Weaver Classic, recoil-proof silver, 2x28mm, pistol
    Brass – Horneber, .600 nitro Express
    Bullets – Woodleigh, .620”, 900gr, jacketed RN soft nose
    Bullets – Beartooth, .622”, 1040gr, lead FNPB
    Powder – Hodgdon H4831
    Primers – Large Rifle magnum
    Loading Data:
    1040 grain lead bullet
    117gr Hodgdon 4831 powder
    1200 FPS Muzzle Velocity (14” barrel length)
    3600# Muzzle Energy (14” barrel length)

I think I'd call it quits at the 500 S&W level

• Registered Users Posts: 13,472 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Theres something very wrong looking with that thing.

Handy for any upcoming trips to Jurassic Park you might be planning.Or in case a runaway T72 MBT shows up in your neighbourhood.:)

The product of some discovery channel program,... Orange county gunsmiths,.... this week we will be making a gun (for charity) that captures the spirit of the colt walker but with modern styling.

The program erupts into an argument about the grip colour while the craftsmen do the real work off camera...........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭astraboy

I shot a desert eagle .50 last summer in Boston. It was absoutley crazy, the kick off it was unreal. It was a great experience though. Got to shoot an Uzi, a H+K handgun, a Smith and wesson .44 and an ar-15 in the same evening. Great fun.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭.243

why ??? theres no need,its the same with "the size of your car"its not what you've got its how you use it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭astraboy

True, I only wanted to shoot it for the experience. I enjoyed the other handguns more TBH. I had about 4 shots off the .50 and the kick was something that would take getting used to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭Babble

.243 wrote:
    why ??? theres no need,its the same with "the size of your car"its not what you've got its how you use it

Maybe I'm misunderstanding you, but if those guys want to shoot a handgun like that then they should go right ahead. Its not for me but I would never say "theres no need" because personally I dont need any of my firearms. I want to have them. "Guns" and "need" only go together for a small percentage of people.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭.243

Babble wrote:
    Maybe I'm misunderstanding you, but if those guys want to shoot a handgun like that then they should go right ahead. Its not for me but I would never say "theres no need" because personally I dont need any of my firearms. I want to have them. "Guns" and "need" only go together for a small percentage of people.

i meant purpose more than need,i just dont see it, theres only one place for that calibre and thats safari but try and get your guide and tracker to let you use it in a pistol version i dont think so

Not up to your guide.Up to the law of the land in Africa if it allows hunting with a handgun or whereever.[S Africa does allow it ].Also your guide will know by day 1 weher you are competant to shoot it or not.As you have to sight and fire a few ranging shots to his satisfaction.It's his ass on the lineas well if you screw up the shot on the charging bull elephant with your handgun.

I dont like the way calibre gets thrown around, theres a big difference between, for instance, a .50AE and a .50BMG, that gets ignored when its the only measurement taken into account.

I say if someone wants to own a break action beast like that here, let them, as long as they are using it in the right place with a suitable backstop why not?

Its not going to be of much use to a criminal over anything they can already get their hands on.
    Wasnt some kid in Limerick caught with a D'Eagle there a few months back?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

kowloon wrote:
    I dont like the way calibre gets thrown around, theres a big difference between, for instance, a .50AE and a .50BMG, that gets ignored when its the only measurement taken into account.
    Similarly, I've heard of people getting grief when trying to licence lever action gallery rifles in .38 Special.

.38 is bigger that .308, and bigger even than .338, so it must be a fierce hoor of a yoke altogether. :rolleyes:

On the other hand, my .22lr has been licenced as a .220 for years (despite several letters asking for a change) and I could go off and buy enough .220 ammo legally to make even me worried as a result...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Sparks wrote:
    On the other hand, my .22lr has been licenced as a .220 for years (despite several letters asking for a change) and I could go off and buy enough .220 ammo legally to make even me worried as a result...

Me too!Not only that,but when i show my licence in the shop,they NEVER query the fact i seem to b e buying the wrong ammunition.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭newby.204

i just got a .17 hmr licenced..... except on my licence its just down as a .17 so i can go off and legally buy .17 rem ammo not a bother to me. Now to be honest im not bothered if i wanted a
    .17 rem i would have applied for one, however there are some people seeing as the idea or thought came into my head, might go out of there way to use faults like this for illegal purposes. Now im sure the antis will jump on the wagon on issues like this , however its not a fault at owner level, nor at rank and file garda level but rather in the licencing system which needs a tad of an overhaul!!!!!

• Advertisement

It really is an issue that needs to be drilled into the thick skulls drafting these "Modren" firearms restrictions.

Have any of our sports representatives been consulted on this?

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Hezz700

Sparks wrote:

both my swift and my .22lr have alway been licenced as .220 bolt action, abit of a gray area really. i asked my fao, who told me not to worry about it

i asked my fao, who told me not to worry about it
    Because odds are you'd never have it checked. Of course, if something ever happened, I don't see your FAO standing up in court and testifying in your defense that he said to ignore the firearms acts...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

Like the man says. Why worry about it?

Technically, the calibre (ie as opposed to the chambering) of a .22lr is .222" anyway, so you'd still be wrong, pedantically speaking.

A 220 swift is .224", so is .222rem and .223rem!

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Hezz700

civdef wrote:

Technically, the calibre (ie as opposed to the chambering) of a .22lr is .222" anyway, so you'd still be wrong, pedantically speaking.

Aye, i was aware of that fact which is why i questioned the man. There are far too many grey areas in our firearms legislation for my liking

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭maglite

civdef wrote:

but we measur ethe gun size not that of the bullet

Which can change make by make

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

And i STILL havnt been issued a proper licence for my SBS double barrell.I have the old licence for my singl,ammended for the new gun but come july i got the old licence back for a gun i believe Kowloon has !:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭mayhem#

I did a few sessions (many moons ago) with a Desert Eagle.
    Bundles of fun but rather sore on the wrists...

E.

Have the same 220 on a 22 lr rifle thing.I tried to point this numerous times and got the same answer ,dont worry about it.So I dont and at this stage couldnt care less.The 220 question has been around for years,if the powers that be dont want to learn,why should we bother educating them???

• Advertisement

Degsy, my old fella put in the license application the same week that gun was paid for and hasnt recieved the license, he rang in about it and Balbriggan had no idea where it was!
    So its still sitting in Courtlough i believe!

Advertisement