Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help picking an elective...

Options
  • 05-12-2006 5:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭

I have an elective to pick for next semester and I want to pick something that is relatively easy to pass, because why not. So I was thinking of something from Level 1.

Can anyone recommend to me an interesting/not too difficult first yr module?

Modules I've been considering so far:
    Philosophy
    Celtic civilisation
    Irish folklore

Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Any stage 1 language module.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭gubbie

Best one I've heard is "Irish for foreign nationals"... aka beginners Irish!

They prob won't let you into that so I'd definately recommend an easy language-beginners Spanish and Italian are both the easiest by far, especially if you have a bit of French. Italians easier and nicer (and its true you can make up words by adding an o/a to the end!!) but Spanish may be more use considering the fact that more people speak it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭Pantsless

Dont take Celtic Civ.. It will make your brain cry in and bring you to levels of torture that you never thought possible...

Im 2nd year Mode 1 and I took Philosophy Ethics from the 1st year course for an easy pass. Hopefully.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

Don't touch Philosophy or English.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭abelard

What are you actually studying sarz55?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Umaro

Intro to Information Studies

Actually.. anything from Media Studies really. They're a complete joke. (Much love to anyone who's doing Media Studies you know I'm kiddinggggggggg)

Avoid anything that's a real subject to be honest. Choose easy electives so you can get a higher GPA, it's the American way.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭Scraggs

Anybody else finding it near impossible to find electives with space left? It seems like even the crap ones are full! I accidently dropped my sem 2 elective while pottering about and 5 mins later when I copped the place had already been snapped up. Boohoo:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭holland501

Dam poxy electives will be the death of me!! :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 625 ✭✭✭princess-sprkle

don't do celtic civ, it'll make you want to stab someone in frustration.
    i did it in semester 1 in first year and it ruined the whole term for me!well almost.

Stay away!! for the love of god stay away from it!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,416 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

Don't touch Philosophy or English.
    What? I dont think first year english could be any easier?! I wrote an entire exam essay about consumerism in harry potter last year, as well as one on subversive elements in alice in wonderland, having not read either. 2nd year however, gets pretty tough. That philosophy of ethics thing is pretty easy, i talked a couple of engineers into doing it last year who had no other philosophy experience, both got B's. One of the questions on the exam was 'From studying philosophy of ethics, i have learned...':D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭passive

Choose easy electives so you can get a higher GPA, it's the American way.

Someone...please? I don't understand this. Can i really make up 1/3 of my degree with first year elective modules from various easy courses and have that actually count for my degree? I... I don't want to do it... but... Can it be done!? And where is the incentive not to? (within the whole "you're graded" system)..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Waltons

As far as I know, it's possible to make up a lot of the 1/3 of your degree with electives, if you'd like to do that. You can only take 4 electives though, and the 30% is made up of your best 6 modules.
    To the best of my knowledge anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭passive

(continued over msn)
    Alan says:
    go to bed waltons!
    Cillians says:
    go to bed, passive!
    (...)
    Alan says:
    no, i didn't mean that... i meant 1/3 of my overall degree could be electives..
    Alan says:
    actually... jesus... more than that...
    Cillians says:
    indeed
    Cillians says:
    if you get electives next year...
    Alan says:
    8/18ths if 4 of my top 6 modules of this year were electives..
    Cillians says:
    yep
    Alan says:
    jesus that's retarded..
    Cillians says:
    on a hilarious scale
    Alan says:
    I'll stick this little exchange into the thread..
    Cillians says:
    quick, before it dies!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭holland501

Got into Irish culture studies there. Seems to be one of the last electives left with space. Seems to be interesting enough and no exam, just 2 essays to hand in so that's pretty sweet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭sarz55

I can't do an English elective because I'm already studying English.

What about 'Problems of Philosophy' (1st yr)? Whats that like?

holland501 wrote:
    Got into Irish culture studies there. Seems to be one of the last electives left with space. Seems to be interesting enough and no exam, just 2 essays to hand in so that's pretty sweet
    Did this as a minor last year, its really interesting! Go to all your tutorials they can be great and especially useful when it comes to writing those blasted essays.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Brimmy

Umaro wrote:
    Intro to Information Studies

Seriously? I picked Information Studies as my minor for next Semester, I thought it was going to be hard, so glad to hear that now! :D

Brimmy wrote:
    Seriously? I picked Information Studies as my minor for next Semester, I thought it was going to be hard, so glad to hear that now! :D

Nah, it's quite easy. Marks for going to tutorials (15%, I think) and the exam's pretty easy. I found it very boring though

I can do boring, no problem. So next semester it's Information Studies as a minor with English/History majors.

Anyone got any advice on an easy elective? I'm down for Anthropological Philosophy but I really don't want to do that :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,416 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

Brimmy wrote:
    I can do boring, no problem. So next semester it's Information Studies as a minor with English/History majors.

Anyone got any advice on an easy elective? I'm down for Anthropological Philosophy but I really don't want to do that :(
    Anthropological Philosophy is fúcking impossible for 1st year, i'm in second year philosophy now and it's easily harder than any of the really complicated stuff i'm doing now, simply cause there's so much stuff to read in it. the two lecturers are really sound, but one of them, a priest, is far far too qualified to be teaching first years, and references about 15 authors and essays in every lecture, i spent loads of time on it, and it's only because the other modules i had in semester 2 last year were so easy that i was able to strike a balance. if you can fit the first year ethics module into your timetable do it, it's really easy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Umaro

waltons wrote:
    Nah, it's quite easy. Marks for going to tutorials (15%, I think) and the exam's pretty easy. I found it very boring though

When I did it last year it was something like
    10% for showing up at tutorials (and theres only 5 of these)
    10% for handing in a 200 word paragraph saying what your essay was going to be about
    30% for keeping a diary of how you're getting along with your essay
    50% for handing in your 3000 word essay

Spread that out over 12 weeks... easy peasy.

Shame the lecturers are dull dull dull.

I think you're thinking of Information Literacy. The Information Studies course description gives the details involved with the course

griffdaddy wrote:
    Anthropological Philosophy is fúcking impossible for 1st year, i'm in second year philosophy now and it's easily harder than any of the really complicated stuff i'm doing now, simply cause there's so much stuff to read in it. the two lecturers are really sound, but one of them, a priest, is far far too qualified to be teaching first years, and references about 15 authors and essays in every lecture, i spent loads of time on it, and it's only because the other modules i had in semester 2 last year were so easy that i was able to strike a balance. if you can fit the first year ethics module into your timetable do it, it's really easy.

Right so, not doing that...

Information Literacy you say?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭pretty*monster

sarz55 wrote:
    What about 'Problems of Philosophy' (1st yr)? Whats that like?

That's one of the best first year philosophy course. I did it back in the day when we didn't mess about with electives. It's occasionally frustrating (the problem of scepticism may convince you that philosophy is a usless diciplin but fear not) but the lecturers are great and the material is easy enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭pretty*monster

griffdaddy wrote:
    Anthropological Philosophy is fúcking impossible for 1st year, i'm in second year philosophy now and it's easily harder than any of the really complicated stuff i'm doing now, simply cause there's so much stuff to read in it. the two lecturers are really sound, but one of them, a priest, is far far too qualified to be teaching first years, and references about 15 authors and essays in every lecture, i spent loads of time on it, and it's only because the other modules i had in semester 2 last year were so easy that i was able to strike a balance..

Yeah but it's easily the best 1st year philosophy going.
    Brendan Purcell's lectures are an experience to say the least but since he's retiring soom one should consider themselves lucky for the chance to be taught by him. The material he covers (it's still the Last Days of Socrates and Notes from the Underground, isn't it) is simple enough if you read it. Yeah he makes a lot of references to other people in his lectures, this is a good thing, it means you can follow it up if you so chose. You don't have to.

The other lecturer on the course is Eliot, yeah? I love that man, simple as.

It I had to pick one 1st year course to do it would be that by a long shot. There's no way anyone could seriously describe it a 'impossible'. No first arts course is impossible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

Waltons wrote:
    I think you're thinking of Information Literacy. The Information Studies course description gives the details involved with the course

Urrgh had that Michael Casey guy for a few 2nd year lectures last month and about 10 people out of about 90 showed up, I know why now...zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

The 2nd semester 1st year Info Studies modules are here
    both are very passable but if you want to get A's B's you have to work at them. Information Design is..zzzzzzzzzzzz and the other is ok but I never had Lee Komito so I don't know what he's like.

P.S. Waltons and Umaro - Did you ever have Komito? What's he like? Got him next semester

Yeah, I had Komito, Zane. I enjoyed the topics he was teaching, and he's a fairly good lecturer; engages with the class a good bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

Nice one Waltons!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭JimmNeutron

Is it possible to take second year subjects as electives in first year? So far every first year elective ive tried is either full/clashing with my timetable.
    If it is, would it be a very bad idea?

• Advertisement

Is it possible to take second year subjects as electives in first year? So far every first year elective ive tried is either full/clashing with my timetable.
    If it is, would it be a very bad idea?
    Yes you can as long as there are no prerequisites. It may be more work though depending on what you choose and it might be more difficult if you haven't done the subject in first year. I'd go for it if you can't find any firsty modules you're interested in.

Advertisement