Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help picking an elective...

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭JimmNeutron

Cool so say im in first year physics and i take a second year physics core module, does that mean that i wont have to do it again next year once i pass it???

• Registered Users Posts: 3,416 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

Yeah but it's easily the best 1st year philosophy going.
    Brendan Purcell's lectures are an experience to say the least but since he's retiring soom one should consider themselves lucky for the chance to be taught by him. The material he covers (it's still the Last Days of Socrates and Notes from the Underground, isn't it) is simple enough if you read it. Yeah he makes a lot of references to other people in his lectures, this is a good thing, it means you can follow it up if you so chose. You don't have to.

The other lecturer on the course is Eliot, yeah? I love that man, simple as.

It I had to pick one 1st year course to do it would be that by a long shot. There's no way anyone could seriously describe it a 'impossible'. No first arts course is impossible.
    oh yeah, i really liked it, just thought it was a lot of work, i'd have preferred if it was 2 seperate modules, one for eliot, one for purcell, as there was still a lot of reading between the two of them. i think it had a 60% fail rate in my year though. Incidently, have you heard anything about Eliot's course this year? i'm doing it at the moment, and i swear, it's like he's making most of it up as he goes along! It's aesthetics and modernism, but it's not the same as last year's, i.e. there's no actual philosophers on it. It's still brilliant though, on the first day he knew we'd all be hung over from first day of term, so he just brought in a cd with philip glass and some nice radiohead songs on it, and talked about how it was modernist, legend!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Umaro

P.S. Waltons and Umaro - Did you ever have Komito? What's he like? Got him next semester

I don't think so. I'm gona assume from his name that he's Asian.. so definitely no.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭pretty*monster

griffdaddy wrote:
    oh yeah, i really liked it, just thought it was a lot of work, i'd have preferred if it was 2 seperate modules, one for eliot, one for purcell, as there was still a lot of reading between the two of them.

Hmm, I suppose. It was two seperate courses in my day, but the courses were also half as long and we did twise as many of them... I it ammounted to the same thing
    griffdaddy wrote:
    Incidently, have you heard anything about Eliot's course this year? i'm doing it at the moment, and i swear, it's like he's making most of it up as he goes along! It's aesthetics and modernism, but it's not the same as last year's, i.e. there's no actual philosophers on it. It's still brilliant though, on the first day he knew we'd all be hung over from first day of term, so he just brought in a cd with philip glass and some nice radiohead songs on it, and talked about how it was modernist, legend!

Lucky!
    Yeah last year Eliot's aesthetics course only covered Kant, Hegel and Nietzsche. Actually at the end of the year I wrote in the course evalution that it would be better if the scope was broader. Maybe he took that on board.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 212 ✭✭Villaricos

Urrgh had that Michael Casey guy for a few 2nd year lectures last month and about 10 people out of about 90 showed up, I know why now...zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

he's my neighbour!:D is he really that boring?? poor Michael, hes nice in real life!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭JimmNeutron

Hey has anyone done this module before:
    HIS10010 The Making of Europe: The High Middle Ages, 1000 - 1500
    or
    HIS10040 Ireland: Union and Disunion, 1800 - 1920

I think its the first one that i can take but what would this be like from a science student who never done history's point of view:D ???

Its either one of those or GEOL10030 Earth materials, and i never done geography or the first semester geology modules either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭Chakar

Well I found High Middle Ages easy enough but Union and Disunion was boring the lecturer was had no Powerpoint or transparent sheets he gave his lecture without any visual aids.

So High Middle Ages is what I would go for if I had a choice in first year, Elva Johnston is alright and she has Powerpoint anyway.

Advertisement