Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

is this an excessive price?

Options
  • 05-12-2006 5:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭

Hi,
    I've just been given a rough estimate of 4,500 euro to replace the flat roof of my kitchen.

the roof size is approx 20' by 14'.

the quote includes removal of exisitng roof material (felt and chipboard), raising the roof in middle to have the correct fall off, a new plywood roof, and then a new felt cover. Insulation is also included which will either be rockwool between rafters or insualtion between plywood and felt.

I will have to take care of the dumping of the old material myself.

I would welcome the opinions of people on this forum. Do you think this is a fair price or is it excessive?

thanks,
    SOP

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Does that include the materials?

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭SonOfPerdition

yop wrote:
    Does that include the materials?

yes it does.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Hard to know really, your looking at about 10 8*4 sheets of OSB.
    I think there is an OSB which is pre-done with underlay felt. Say normal 8*4 is about 20 euro??? Not sure on that price though.

So they they have to raise the timbers, not I presume they have to take off all the rafters first because they would be nailed onto the wall plate, so to get a better fall they have to prop up the first few rafter.

If they have to replace the rafers then I think these are 16ft lenghts (probably wrong on that) are about 20 odd euro a piece. They would probably be 900 or 600mm centres. So over 20ft you are talking 20*12 = 240*25 = 6000mm/900= 7.

So you are maybe looking another 200 euro for rafters. So with OSB you are looking at up to 500 euro.
    Now mastic and felt could be expensive as they are petroleum based, I have a feeling that you are talking 100 euro for a tin of mastic, you may need 2.
    Felt, god knows.. Would a ring of a hardware stored.
    They will need a few lathes to make an edging around the side of the roof.

So for materials you are probably looking at 1500 euro all in.

I could be WAAAAY of the mark here, just basing it on my dads flat roof.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭SonOfPerdition

thanks Yop,

the quote has dropped to aboutr 3,500 now and i've a written quotation.

Does anyone know if labour at 1500euro + vat for 2 people for 2.5days is cheap, fair, or expensive?

cheers,
    SOP

They are looking at about 350 per day per person so that seem in or abouts what chippies can charge, I am sure there are lads out there who may do it for 250 per day, BUT you want this job done right as a bad installation of a flat roof is bad.

• Advertisement
Advertisement