Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blanchardstown SC cycle path

Options
  • 05-12-2006 6:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭

They were doing so well...

After just a bit over ten years in existence Blanchardstown Shopping Centre finally managed to get some cycle paths built on one of the roads immediately around the main centre.

The path is two-way, looks quite nice, has a decent surface and good clear markings, but then they went and did the usual stupid thing and dumped some traffic light poles in the middle of the lane.

Will the people who build these f-ing things never learn? Evidently not. Makes you despair, doesn't it?

th_40822_BlanchSC_01_122_465lo.jpgth_40827_BlanchSC_02_122_510lo.jpgth_40835_BlanchSC_03_122_511lo.jpg

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

looks lovely, shame about the poles :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,631 ✭✭✭Turbulent Bill

It's hilarious, the cycle path winds in and out through the footpath so you're virtually guaranteed that pedestrians are going to wander over it. I haven't used it, but the road definitely looks like a safer bet.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

It doesn't seem like an "integrated" design, e.g. it seems like the people who designed the cycle path aren't the same people who decide where the traffic lights go. I don't know, the traffic lights really just look like they are dumped in the middle of the lane without a second thought. The fact that the lights were added after the lane and markings were finished only furthers this in my mind. It really is amazing, imagine if they just dumped the traffic lights just a little to the right, on the side of the road. Just would not happen. Why?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,508 ✭✭✭daymobrew

Last year I contacted Green Property (Blanch Centre Managers) about the fact that the pedestrian lights between Dunnes and JJB Sports sections never went green for pedestrians. They told me that they turned off the ped crossing at weekends to help (car) traffic. IMO they only car about car traffic and not pedestrians, obviously forgetting that the car occupants become pedestrians after they park!!

I do like the zebra crossing at the library (though note that the one near Elverys has been replaced by regular traffic lights). I would like to see more zebra crossings around the centre and the area.

I've never been uncomfortable on the roads around the centre (except the Blakestown roundabout) so I may not use these off-road cycle tracks. I would expect plenty of pedestrian 'trespassing'.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,395 ✭✭✭BrianD3

I was there last weekend and every single pedestrian I saw "trespassed" on the cycle path.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Bunnyhopper

Too right daymobrew, they care so little about pedestrians that most of the carparks don't even have footpaths. I guess they're taking the zebra crossings out so that they can shove some more traffic through the area without it having to stop for pesky pedestrians.

Of course, with the layout of the cycle path (as in the photos) a cyclist will have to give way to any pedestrian who happens along. That's as well as having to yield to the shockingly dangerous traffic light poles.

I just thought it was a pretty good illustration of how thunderingly stupid people can be despite all the nice noises they might make about cycle facilities. I don't expect anyone who frequents this board to be in the least surprised, however.

With any luck whoever is responsible will get sued for being stupid by the first cyclist who crashes into one of the poles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Mailman

In fairness to the management of the centre nearly all the people in the housing estates that are nearby bring their cars anyhow so why cater for the pedestrians or cyclists that don't exist.

I'm one of the few people in my estate who actually walk to the centre even though it is the quickest way of getting there.

I remember having an arguement with a motorist(BMW driver) who was adamant that he had right of way on a pedestrian crossing at the blanch centre and was most put out that he had to brake to avoid running me over. the few other pedestrians were dumb-founded except for one woman who called him a fool.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

blorg wrote:
    It really is amazing, imagine if they just dumped the traffic lights just a little to the right, on the side of the road. Just would not happen. Why?
    Coz that would make sense!
    Better would be to have them on the other side of the track, well away from the road. If it is right against the road you will get pedestrians just standing on the track.

on the N11 approaching foxrock church there are 2 poles very close together, it is like a fecking obstacle course, nice big dip and rise before coming to them and if you are really lucky you get an extra adrenalin rush when some bus driver decides to let people off at that traffic light to wander aimlessly onto the track, even though the bus stop is 20 yeards away.

After you pass the church junction there is are lights and they are away from the track as I described, you still got the odd person standing on the track but most realise and stay back.

Another close call is going from sandyford towards whites cross, opposite lepoardstown racecourse entrance, some bright spark put a bus stop on the cycle track, on the other side of the track is a nice big pole perfectly in line, and there is always somebody either reading the timetable or just standing on the track looking at bikes coming straight at them like rabbits in headlights, on the verge of moving but unsure if they should.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

daymobrew wrote:
    the pedestrian lights between Dunnes and JJB Sports sections never went green for pedestrians. They told me that they turned off the ped crossing at weekends to help (car) traffic.
    Are the lights turned off completely or just never go green. You could have some poor old senile woman standing waiting in the pissing rain for hours, or kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,508 ✭✭✭daymobrew

rubadub wrote:
    Are the lights turned off completely or just never go green. You could have some poor old senile woman standing waiting in the pissing rain for hours, or kids.
    Just never go green for pedestrians.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Traumadoc

daymobrew wrote:
    Last year I contacted Green Property (Blanch Centre Managers) about the fact that the pedestrian lights between Dunnes and JJB Sports sections never went green for pedestrians. They told me that they turned off the ped crossing at weekends to help (car) traffic. IMO they only car about car traffic and not pedestrians, obviously forgetting that the car occupants become pedestrians after they park!!

If someone was injured, could there be criminal charges against green property - like the bus operators who turned off the ABS to reduce the cost of the brakes. In my opinion that is criminal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭triple-M

has anyone else noticed that parts of the new bike path that is only a year old has been dug up already :(,its the section near the new hotel,why must we irish build things then break them down,then build them up again,oh wait! i know why because were all stinkin rich and we can afford to throw away money all d time :mad:

Advertisement