Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UTV DNS shenanigans

Options
  • 05-12-2006 7:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I am on UTV broadband.....

A while back UTV's dns servers went down so I had no internet access, I read a few posts on boards that listed some public dns servers that I could point my connection to, to get me up and running again (note: I'm a bit of a networks dummy!). So that worked a treat, I specified the DNS to use and all was well.

Problem is that now if I change my TCP/IP settings back to 'Obtain DNS server automatically' it all falls on it's arse and no internet for me. So at the moment I am using these 'public' DNS servers and not UTV's.

Two questions: Anyone know why the automatic DNS server thing is not working any more, how to fix it?
    What is the risk, if any of using these public DNS machines intead of the UTV servers?

Thanks
    Sconsey

Advertisement